Woman alleges she was molested on EZE-JFK AA flight, FA did nothing

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kyunbit, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anybody else seen this? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/grope_ordeal_on_jfk_jet_QgzwYQDpuItjGzfmZy81iN

A woman on an American Airlines jet flying from Argentina to JFK Airport was molested twice during the flight after the crew refused to give her a new seat after the first assault, officials said.

The woman said that she fell asleep and awoke to find the man seated next to her touching her breast, according to an official report.

She notified the flight crew and asked to be moved, but nothing was done.

After falling asleep again, she woke up to find the same man touching her thigh.

The airline notified Port Authority cops upon landing.

Yesterday, a Brooklyn federal magistrate judge signed an arrest complaint against the man.

A spokesman said the airline will look into the woman’s report “in conjunction with the ongoing police investigation.”

IDGflygirl, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What if the flight was fully booked and no seats were available?

uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am wondering even with a fully booked flight if the FA could find a male volunteer to switch seats to protect the woman. Getting molested once is enough, but twice on the same flight? :(

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too true...there are creepers out there...

uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The magistrate didn't find it fishy if they signed off on an arrest warrant. AA will probably be sued too for the woman's emotional distress.

Gaucho, uggboy and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds like someone could have benefited from those handcuffs they use for rowdy passengers to make sure he kept his hands to himself until arrested.....

uggboy, sobore and rwoman like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad we have a court system to sort this out and get the facts. I don't think it's too odd, I've seen lots of news articles about passengers who want to join the mile high club regardless of whether or not someone wants to join them.

The only "odd" bit about the story to me is that she fell back asleep. I could be going on 48 hours without sleep and if I discovered some strange person fondling my cookie jar there isn't a chance in hell I'd fall back asleep unprotected next to that person. :eek:

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didnt see this in the local press...... guess the woman was a US citizen....

tondoleo and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is not the whole story.

I am a guy. But if I was in her shoes, I would have created a ruckus and would not sit beside such a creep again. If nobody agreed to change seats, I would stand in the galley or sit in the loo.. But sleeping again beside such a creep! I can't imagine how someone can do that!

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck getting FAs to approve that.... probably will threaten to have you arrested for not following orders once the plane lands JFK.. considering they didn't do anything after the first assault according to the lawsuit...

tondoleo likes this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I respect what you are saying. It is unfortunate she did not assert herself more forcefully.

I choose to empathize with her plight. The AA staff essentially said you are worthless and stay where you are. Her staying put and not creating a ruckus may be cultural or the result of the recent or other traumas she may have suffered from inappropriate touching(s) during other parts of her life. There are many unanswered questions in the Post's article. However, the Post's intent is to publish something sensational and scare everyone. No woman who reads the Post will ever sit next to a stranger on the EZE-JFK flight again.

OTOH, the alleged assailant will have some difficulties flying out of and/or entering a US airport with an arrest warrant in the system.

12. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I am happy that the lady actually had the courage to go ahead and report it.

tondoleo likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    tondoleo likes this.
  14. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    They're lying. I never touched her. :p

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the entire story strange. What rings alarm bells for me is if she was molested by him the first time why on earth did she fall asleep? If it was me, I would be on high alert and would have stuck pillows and blankets between us and nothing would have made me fall asleep.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The second story indicates that the alleged perp was traveling with his wife. Where was she seated? I would think that a ruckus from the alleged first contact would have cured "restless hand syndrome" if the wife was nearby.

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    depends on the person. ;)

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True, there are certainly exceptions. :D

20. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    For someone who works with criminal justice I find this to be overweight, perhaps the news has nothing better to talk about! I say that because its a sequence of rare human conducts. Its very hard to believe any woman would wake up being touched and do nothing about it. Ok, let's supposed it happenned, then she tells a FA and then the FA does nothing and the woman goes back to sleep. Ok, let's keep on, she falls sleep besides the same person again and wake up again with him touching her again and remain calm and call the FA again that does nothing again. I kindly ask the victim to excuse me if this story is really true, but it seems to me a construction to build a civil suit to make money on AA. Not just on the lack of response from the victim or the FA but from the others beside her. I'm certain if any people of the flight notice something like that, the supposed perpetrator would never do something like this again, well that's my thought!

OY-JFS and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:

Interesting analysis. I was curious how one prosecutes a case like this baring evidence other than the testimony of the two parties. Although it seems like you need to build more than a plausible sequence of events to find someone guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  22. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a little surprised that action was not taken immediately.

gemac likes this.
  23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many surprising facets to this tale. That is one of them.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is clearly a case where more information is needed. Is the criminal complaint (?) online, to see what the official story according to the police/DA is?

LETTERBOY likes this.