Wollongong Recommendations

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by wingspan, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been to Wollongong before - but there is a (slim) chance I'll be there for a couple of nights next month. Does anybody have any must-do activities or must-eat foods or must-stay-at accommodation for the 'Gong?

Thank you in advance!

2. James Dombrowski
    Original Member

James Dombrowski Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was there, I stayed at the Boat Harbor Motel. Not the most upscale place but good rates, walking distance to the CBD, friendly family-owned place.

You might want to also check the civic center. I lucked out and got to see Ross Noble there, performing on his "Noodlemeister" tour.

Wollongong isn't exactly a hip, happenin' place but it has it's share of fun pubs and good people.

Mr.Flyer and wingspan like this.
  3. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet. Thank you for the recommendations. I definitely will check out the civic center.

Yeah I'm actually getting excited to get away somewhere I've never been before and to just check out the places the locals like so I fun pubs and good people sounds nice to me. [​IMG]

4. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best hotel in town is probably the Novotel, and while that's not all that much to say, it's right across the road from the fairly pleasant North Beach. It's not particularly central, but the Gong is kinda sprawled out and you pretty much need to have a car to get around anyway.

Mr.Flyer and wingspan like this.
  5. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm I won't have a car. Will be mostly at the University of Wollongong. But wouldn't mind checking out the beach, too, if it's nice weather. Google Maps tells me it's a 50-something minute walk from Novotel to the uni - but it gives a VERY round-a-bout way of getting there. And it really doesn't seem like a 50-minute walk. Is it?

Even if it is, I'm not too concerned, I usually walk 40 minutes to work and then another 40 minutes back home each day anyway so I'm used to it... and it's probably a good way of really seeing a place.

6. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    wingspan likes this.
  7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that! Chances have increased that I will be in the 'gong and without a car so I will definitely be relying on those shuttles!

8. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have time, an excusion south of the 'gong to Kiama and its blowhole is worthwhile.

wingspan likes this.