WN touts iMessage support for $2

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Dec 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea what this means... it's really lacking details and doesn't fully explain the entire "feature" but they're making a big deal about it anyway.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/southwest-airlines-enables-imessage-onboard/

I have to assume that this means you can do iMessage (direct iOS to iOS with no SMS support) without SMS support, but it's unclear whether you can do iMessage as a standalone service for $2 or there's a pre-requisite to sign up for onboard WiFi for $8 as well (bringing the total to $10).

2. whoknew89

whoknew89 Active Member

Status Points:
    Since iMessage uses data instead of using the cellular service it looks like for $2 they're allowing access to the gogo inflight wifi just for the use of sending and receiving iMessages.

I don't think this means the total would come to $10 as I feel for the $8 you would also be able to send and receive iMessages.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's what I think as well, but like I said they're not being very clear about that. Their in-flight WiFi page hasn't been updated yet, but it would be helpful if they eventually broke it down with specifics.

I personally think that $8 "a day" as they charge should include iMessage, and anything else would be a money-grab move. Then again, if you can have "everything" for $8, paying $2 just for iMessage seems like a waste, although I can understand why some people might want it just to keep in touch with their iOS friends.

Personally if I'm getting WiFi I go all the way...

4. whoknew89

whoknew89 Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, $8 for everything is the only option. Now if only WN wifi wasn't the slowest in the skies. :(

viguera likes this.