Wn devaluation

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by de52king, Sep 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    Per the email I just received rapid reward redemptions for wanna get away fares will need 70 points/$ instead of the current 60/$ beginning 3/31/14. The other fare classes are excluded from this enhancement...for now.

2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah just got mine...not much of a WN flyer, so I don't care. Sorry to see they are joining the race to the bottom though. I always had tremendous respect for this airline.

3. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    It least they didn't call it an exciting enhancement. I have to give Southwest props for that.

I agree with Gary Leff's take on the devaluation. This should not have been necessary. Programs in which both earnings and redemptions are indexed to cash price should not need further adjustments. They are automatically self-regulating and sustainable unless someone decides to inflate the currency by selling too many points too cheaply to banks and other third parties. That's my guess of what happened.

I'm glad that Southwest has tipped its hand on devaluation. We need to expect more devaluation and accelerating devaluation, just as with the traditional loyalty programs. Travel companies can't resist the easy money from selling their miles and points so cheaply that devaluation becomes inevitable. I used to think Southwest was different.

4. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    No reason for this devaluation. A big thumbs down to Southwest.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Profit is always a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad to see them make a profit, it is not a dirty word.

Profit is almost like job security, sure hate for the taxpayers to bail them out,

Hope they are in business a long time, sure did hate to see the IND ORD day trip end.