Wizz Air attacked over new baggage policy

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by sobore, Oct 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Artic...izz+air+attacked+over+new+baggage+policy.html

Hays Travel online arm Loveholidays.com has attacked budget carrier Wizz air’s plans to charge for hand luggage.

The airline, which flies from Luton, Liverpool, Doncaster/Sheffield and Glasgow to destinations across Europe, introduces the £9 charge on all services departing from yesterday (Wedesday).

The move follows a month-long trial on flights between Luton and Katowice in Poland.

Passengers carrying luggage larger than 42cm x 32cm x 25cm must pay the fee, while smaller bags will be permitted on board free of charge as long as they can be fitted underneath the seat.
    The carrier said the policy will allow it to reduce fares by £4.50.

Loveholidays.com chief executive Alex Francis said: "Hidden charges have become a bugbear of holidaymakers and prices that can initially seem good value rapidly rise when all extra expenses are factored in to the equation, so we imagine this won’t be well received with customers just seeing it as another way for companies to make money out of them.”

Read More: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Artic...izz+air+attacked+over+new+baggage+policy.html

chrislacey and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's face it, charging for hand luggage a la Spirit is stupid IMHO. It brings a bad name to an airline, Wizzair is the first European airline to charge for hand luggage, now I wonder when the other feel inspired to follow suit.:eek:

sobore and chrislacey like this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I understand the airlines need to make money, and I'm all for it. That said, I really wish all airlines would include just one checked bag in their ticket price. I'm planning an event in early December and the majority of people who are coming aren't frequent flyers (think MAYBE once a year). Reminding them that they'll be expected to pay $25 each way to check a bag has been a pain...and $50 is real money to a lot of people. Not to mention how frustrating it is during boarding with everyone schlepping their over-sized carry-ons onboard and the delays for gate checking the ones that won't fit. I've seen GAs offer to check bags for free at the gate because they know they all won't fit. They don't charge a fee then. So why bother in the first place? Increase ticket prices to offset the first bag fee...and I know I would be a lot happier.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree, one checked bag should be included. Maybe if it had a lower weight limit it could be work for the airlines. Most everyone travels with some sort of luggage.

uggboy likes this.