Without a Passport - a strange sensation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Passport, you have been very very good to me. Today, I sent you to the National Passport Center, 9 years and 8 months after we met. Even though you were stuffed with 2 sets of extra pages, you did not complain, you merely asked for more abuse. I am sorry I couldn't fill up too many stamps in that second set of pages, but you knew your life was coming to an end. So, away you went, with an application and a fee, only to have a hole punched in you. You will live on, however, because that Argentina receipt near your rear end will keep me from paying that usurious fee again for many years to come. So, I eagerly await your return, along with that of your offspring. Despite how young (s)he will be, the picture of me is unfortunately, ten years older. In the meantime, I cannot leave the country. A very strange sensation.

2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    My new one came back the other day, Nice new look but as you say those 10 year apart photos bring you back to reality fast :) At least we had fun getting here.

jbcarioca, kwai, bakedpatato and 2 others like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the potential government shutdown doesn't cause you and your passport to be separated for longer than anticipated.

jbcarioca, kwai, Mangy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    That did cross my mind.

jbcarioca, kwai, Mangy and 1 other person like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate being without a passport any longer than absolutely necessary. I plot my renewals carefully, to be done in the off season when I'm pretty confident that I won't want/need to travel abroad. Still, since I use it as my primary ID (not only for TSA but also to prove that I'm old enough for alcohol and even at the bank, as I think it's better to avoid giving my home address to strangers), it's tough to be without the passport for weeks and weeks.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do they return the old passport? I've never had to get a new one, and won't until 2019, but have already thought how I'd hate to lose all those stamps. This post gives me hope that I'll get to keep those memories.

Hope you get your passport in a timely manner. As a federal employee, the timely arrival of your passport also means I won't be temporarily laid off, so it's win-win from my perspective. :D

jbcarioca, Mangy and savydog like this.
  7. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do return the old passport with a hole punched in it.

8. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always easiest to have dual citizenship - that way you always have your passport:)

9. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    NZ they cut the corner off it

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  10. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mommy mommy I want to be an MSPe when I grow up and travel all over the place(and have tons of status) and have a pet goat :p(Well...I guess I could if I asked to be stationed overseas...and i'm more of a cat person;))
    Seriously though,couldn't you get a passport card to replace your passport for ID purposes?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some US states cut the corner off of your driver's license when you exchange it for a new one.

savydog and Mangy like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not your mother!

I'm working on getting a passport card, but the problem is that for simplicity I need to use my passport as ID and proof of citizenship when applying for the passport card, which seems to mean giving up the passport for a while. This needs to be scheduled carefully.

savydog, Mangy and bakedpatato like this.
  13. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I was actually thinking of my real mother :p
    Hmm true....

MSPeconomist and savydog like this.
  14. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    So instead of thinking this -

old-women1.jpg

I should be thinking this -

Sexy_Accountant.jpg

Full of surprises as always :D;):D

(Don't worry we are friends - hopefully still friends !!)

cordray2643 and jbcarioca like this.
  15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And some states are already 3 months late without producing a new DL. I'm talking to you California.

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got 3 additions to my passport it will be a test to see which wins out: Expiration (3years) or pages. Either way, I'm not looking forward to parting with this passport, much less being without one for any length of time.

savydog likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm feeling similarly naked/depressed. I had to ship my wife's off for more pages a couple weeks ago and that was a little sad but I managed. Then, on Monday, I dropped my passport off at the Brazilian Consulate here in NYC to receive a visa for my visit next weekend. There are no valid passports in my home right now and it feels very strange.

Regarding renewals, I expect that when the time comes for me (5 years away), I'll likely pay the $60 extra and get it handled same-day in person. That's what I did last time I needed pages and it was much more comforting. And it'll likely be similar later this year when I apply for more pages in the current one.

I don't think I could handle weeks without mine. :eek:

savydog, jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the hole punched through the passport doesnt go through you Reciprocity Fee Sticker.... wonder if it will be still good if it has a hole in it...??????? :p

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  19. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just looked again at my expired passport and it was returned with two holes punched in the front cover only. So the sticker should be good? :)

20. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    The holes are primarily put there to render the machine readable part useless, so will only be on the front cover for current expiring passports.

21. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a huge fan of the newer passports (though the eagle reminds me of the Colbert Show into), but I've only got one year and not much room left so this summer I'll probably send mine in. It will definitely be a strange feeling.

22. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine has been our for renewal twenty-four days and counting. It is a weird feeling. Have requested the 52-page version and a passport card. Recently got a new California driver's license and ID both with PO Box address (strange they allow that).

The passport card can only be used for travel to/from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by land or sea, not air. Not sure I'll find it useful, but am curious to see it's acceptable to the TSA It is govt issued ID, but so was my Library of Congress card which they now decline.

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its reassuring to know that they only seem to want to cancel the readability of the passport... with no holes through the stickers themselves, Im confident that they should still be good.

24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... didnt know the US also had a "secondary" ID travel document.... we have this in Argentina also... for travel to neighbouring countries and MercoSur member states, we dont need out Passports, we can just use our DNI's.....

25. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    The passport card is a recent development. Mostly for the cross-border traffic with Canada and Mexico. Quite a few people along the border work in one country and live in the other. Costs $55 instead of the $135 for a passport (but if you ask for it the same time as your passport it's $30.)

This is a sample, not mine :)

updatepptcard.jpg