With UA deval, dumping of Chase UA card begins?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Singapore Flyer, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will this change your thoughts on getting and/or keeping the Chase UAMPE card? This basically seems it for me to not keep it when it comes to renewal. I can always use the CL for another card. I would imagine chase knew about it but imagine they got blindsided as much as we did?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    No big change here. I dumped the explorer card over a year ago.

I've kept the Select Visa for the 5k annual EQMs and 3x earnings on UA tickets. The 5k EQM bonus is handy, but I'll get my MM soon and may decide that it's not worth reaching for PP or 1K, which could change my willingness to keep this card. But the devaluation, bad as it may be, doesn't really have any effect on that decision.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar here: i will reach MM status within the next month (which will turn my wife's stash into 1K miles for the next year and make them more valuable due to no-change-fees. Expect speculative bookings). The Club card will go next year... And would have no matter what. I would have kept the Select card to perhaps help bump our status to Plat in some years, but I doubt that is now going to happen.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just renewed my UAMPE; thought about dumping it but thought why not just keep it (Insurance for Car Rentals; Bonus on Spend etc).

Now I really don't know if I want to keep it or not.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am currently Platinum on US, and will likely make the US equivalent of IK status (Chairman's Preferred) for the next year. Likely, in US we're in somewhat better shape, but not for long, as I've noted on Milepoint that US has 162,500 mile bc/fc requirement for travel each way to Europe during high season.

If/when US joins with AA, it will be interesting to note what will occur insofar as the combined overall bonus mile programs. I expect that to occur slowly, and look at how long it has taken SWA and AirTran to fully merge their individual mile awards programs (they're still not there yet!) as an example.

Congratulations on your MM status! And I sincerely hope that still means something...

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point, there are many alternative out there to examine. Granted, it's all a moving target, but insurance and bonus on spending is a good thing to have. I suspect that there's a Milepoint posting that compares the relative value of each credit card plan, but that would now need updating for early 2014. :)

edekba likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free Checked Bag & E+ which isnt that bad

Newscience likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did read somewhere that Chase Ink might add primary car insurance coverage; if so GREAT! but yeah like you said ... wait and see for now.

Singapore Flyer and Newscience like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It means freedom. No more need to look at my PQM spreadsheet to see if I should buy UA despite other flights being cheaper/more convenient. It will simplify my life.

Now, this is not something that I discovered this morning -- it was my plan all along. But the Great Devaluation of 2014 will certainly reduce the value I place on UA miles, and thus the incentive to book UA when there are alternatives.

11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still working on MM for now with about a year to go. Don't have MPE but holding onto my Select Visa for the time being. As for UR- still good for Hyatt and ...cash back (blasphemous, I know)

Newscience likes this.
  12. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called Chase this morning to voice my dissatisfaction and inform them I won't be spending another dime on the card and plan to close the account upon my renewal date.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Newscience likes this.
  13. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll probably dump the Mileage Explorer Card as well. I don't rent cars very often, have other cards which can get me 2x on airline ticket purchases, rarely check bags, and only fly a couple of times a year (so maybe 1-2 times on United, at best). I do like the guaranteed group 1 boarding, but realistically $95/year is an awful lot to spend just to get on the plane first once or twice a year.

I'll keep my Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom cards for now, as they have more transfer partners than just UA (and Freedom's a decent cash-back card in its own right). But you can be sure I'll be telling Chase exactly why I'm dumping the very first card I ever opened with them!

Newscience likes this.
  14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably gonna close my Chase UA PP card. Screw lounges and PQD waiver if the miles are pesos now.

Newscience likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    • I Thank Chase and United almost every day.
    • I travel and share miles, they are and have been too easy to get.
    • You do not know how lucky we are.
    • Everything will increase in price get use to it,
    • In my wildest dreams, I'd never have thought of setting in First Class, today we give away FC tickets to friends.

16. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am shifting domestic spending to Amex SPG where possible and where not possible, moving domestic spending to Barclays Arrivals. Foreign spending will be Barclays due to no forex fees.

Will be dumping the Chase UA select card (10 PQMs; haven't needed them for years, and with the deval, no longer care about making 1K) and Chase BA card.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's good because I think it only gives you 5k PQM for $5k UA.com spend :). The older Platinum card offered another 5k PQM for $35 annual spend.

I'll keep my Select card for a while as it has pretty good bonus categories, and I should be getting it for $35 next year as I will still be 1K. Don't think I'll plan further than that for now. But it looks like I might end up with the Arrivals card, too (have the US Airways MC)