With new United ads, will the song remain the same?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0812-united-advertising-20110812,0,7240030.story

[​IMG]
    By Robert Channick, Tribune reporter
    August 12, 2011

United Airlines' 'tulip' tail feather may be gone, but what about its "Rhapsody in Blue" commercial theme song?

Chicago-based United Continental Holdings, which redesigned its logo and repainted its planes in the wake of last year's merger agreement between United and Continental Airlines, is moving its $70 million to $100 million advertising account to New York-based agency McGarryBowen. Whether the familiar piano classic, United's ubiquitous soundtrack for the past two decades, survives the transition remains to be heard.
    Read More:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0812-united-advertising-20110812,0,7240030.story

SQ LPP likes this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be sad to get on a UA airplane or watch a UA ad and not hear that music. Sometimes, you don't get rid of classics.... especially when the good old days are what people want to remember about flying.... not the new days of having someone yell at you on the PA system to get out of the way once you find your seat.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd lay even money that it will be replaced by SMI/J's voice - he so loves to hear it.

kwai and JLSocks like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the new UA recently extended its license for "Rhapsody in Blue." The press release IIRC made a point about saying how they liked the song and there was no reason to replace it. I like Gershwin, too, though this isn't really something worth complaining about the merger (I liked the cartoons and would rather have those back than keep the music).

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good news. The song seems to sit well with UA and certainly a better fit than "What's my name" by Snoop dog. :p

6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think an auto-tuned jingle featuring SMI/J saying "And we think you will like these changes" would be more apt.

DenverBrian likes this.
  7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, they should dub $MI/J's voice over Terrance and Phillips' "Uncle F%##(er". I'm sure ParkerAndStone LLC would sell the rights. :D

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they should license "Money" from Pink Floyd.

sobore likes this.