Wish me luck

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Flag_November, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    First time on US Airways since the Reagan administration for me, tomorrow. I'm traveling DFW/PHL/BTV (Burlington, VT). They expect 12-15" of snow in northern Vermont tonight, but I hope and believe they are equipped for it.

Needless to say, I have less status on US than a prisoner being transported to the stockade in irons. (Sorry, this is an attempt at humor. They are having a revival of "The Last Detail" in town. I am way better off than Randy Quaid.)

The airplanes look pretty full. RJ's, it seems. I will travel incredibly light.

kellio likes this.
  2. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck, accuweather says 15 inches. Here in Southern NH just rain thank goodness.

Not sure when your arriving into BTV, but given the forecast, I'd expect delays and possible cancellations. Good luck!

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pack your patience and a good book.

5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you are going to need it. Best wishes.

6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best wishes, though (unlike Europe) New England, and especially northern new england is well equiped to deal with lots of snow. I would maybe expect delays at BVT, but unless all that snow comes all with an hour I wouln't expect cancelations.

7. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, things didn't go so well.

DFW to PHL was on an RJ, and I was in a window seat. There was still some overhead space for Zone 4, so I put my jacket and winter coat up top, and put my crushable carry-on under the seat. This was fine, but the fellow sitting next to me was too big and spilled over the middle arm rest. I'm not small, either, but I fit in my seat. I ended up in agony because I couldn't sit correctly. When the plane got to PHL, I turned on my phone and had a VM from US telling me my BTV flight was cancelled.

I called back (still on the plane) and talked to someone who said all Burlington flights were cancelled for Monday and were all overbooked for Tuesday. My intention was to be there the night before to participate in all-day meetings (in Montpelier) on Tuesday. This might have worked if I got on an early flight out of PHL but it wasn't happening.

My friend in VT said there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, drifts to 7 feet, and as of 3 PM it was still snowing.

After discussions with my client, I decided to see if I could get back home. The customer service desk at PHL had no line, and an elderly one-finger typist found a flight for me at 6:05P to go back to DFW. It was an A319. He gave me al aisle seat, which I believe you normally would have to pay extra for, but there I was.

US has minimal service. PHL to DFW was nearly 3.5 hours - one pass of the drink cart and that was it.

So, not such a good experience. I probably get to try again soon, but if there's a word that starts with 's' in the forecast I probably will stay home.

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  8. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    After my recent involuntary mileage run, I will be attempting again next week to fly to Vermont (via US). If they have another mega-blizzard, I think there could be a living to be made by simply asking them to pay me to quit trying to go there.

9. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck! Right now the weather looks good except for Friday of next week.