Wireless entertainment on Rouge flights

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jun 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://business.financialpost.com/2...light-entertainment-system-with-rouge-launch/
    Air Canada will introduce a new wireless inflight entertainment system on its low-cost carrier Rouge when it launches Monday. But what content you get and how successful you are at streaming it will be largely dependent on the personal electronic device you use.
    Rouge passengers will be able to stream stored movies, TV, and music, on their personal devices for a $5 fee in economy, and for free on a premium economy, or Rouge Plus, fare.
    For the month of July the content will be provided to everyone free on an introductory basis.
    PC laptops will be able to stream all-content immediately using a plug-in that can be downloaded onboard. But if Rouge passengers bring an Apple product, like an iPhone, iPad, or Macbook, they will be required to download Air Canada’s free app from the Internet prior to boarding to access the premium Hollywood content.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    And all that customer service training those young bright eyed and bushy tailed FAs are getting at Disney will come in handy when all those tablets die, on reaching reaching Shannon on board your chariot without power ports. Nice planning...maybe they'll include a free battery charger for Y next year?

3. Those of us who have elected to be in the modern era of electronic devices which have generally around or over 8 hours battery life won't be bothered and will charge the devices to boarding. I see people who travel from YYT to YMM with a stop in YYZ make the whole journey w/o a recharge of their device.
    Your "any" excuse to bad mouth AC borders on delusion IMHO.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nng. I find your lack of power ports .... disturbing.

YULtide likes this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count me as another who would prefer to see power ports. Don't need them all the time, but on occasion, they come in handy (esp if you fail to fully charge your laptop).

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be the new wave in IFE as more airlines look to jettison costly and weighty hard wired systems in favour of intranet wifi to tablet/laptop systems. As for recharging, most tablets have battery lives much longer than these planes can fly. I've used my iPad on 13-hour transPac flights without depleting the battery...though I know recent model iPhones/Pods have had battery life issues.

7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arguably, high-density seating does not allow for sufficient space to safely open a laptop computer anyway. Taking away the power ports accomplishes two economic objectives:

1) some proportion of fuel usage, previously-devoted to generating seat power, is now avoided, and...
    2) nobody files complaints for crushed laptops when the self-packing sardines pax recline their seats.

guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additionally, the weight of the wiring for in-seat power is eliminated.

Not that I intend to be a regular Rouge customer, but I get about 5-6h of battery life out of my laptop (less if I'm playing videos), and it's usually enough even for a TPAC flight once you take out the ascent, descent, mealtimes and sleeping out of the flight time.

9. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's the only "delusion" I see.:p

10. I agree...should have left out the "H". At least I understand what a delusion is;it takes some a lifetime to understand that Mickey Mouse is a cartoon character. ;)

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expanding on my own post ... this approach loses the weight of the i-seat power wiring, the weight of the LCD panels, the weight of the under-seat AVOD boxes (gaining some extra foot-room!), the weight of the AVOD wiring, and the weight of the in-seat remote controls. Overall, a very substantial drop.

And the pax already carry on their own tablets and laptops so there is little extra weight there.

12. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No doubt Wi-Fi without power ports is problematic. Unfortunately not all of the population has such devices that last eight hours. (Personally, I'd like to see one)

13. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:

Oh please, Pollyanna is all you know when it comes to AC. This is a poor decision for the average Rouge customer on the part of AC management. Period. Come on, even dreaded TS can do that. I'm sure some folks have devices that will last all flight, but my bet is that the majority of the discount flyer population won't - even despite your sampling expertise on the way to YMM.:rolleyes: Happy Canada Day!

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am typing this on one.

Also, I don't think I generally watch movies for eight hours. I eat, read, sleep, day-dream, look out the window, lav, ...

15. And once again nothing real is stated other than a negative approach to things because some think this is a pulpit to rail against perceived issues.:rolleyes: Maybe, just maybe, someone at AC or their consultants did some homework on the subject and came to the conclusions they did. maybe they are slightly ahead of the curve. Maybe stats show people are upgrading their devices to those that have longer battery lives. I have done so recently.

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. And few Rouge flights will be anything close to 8h. 5-6h battery life is not uncommon (my laptop does it on its standard battery, and tablets usually do more), and few people will use their devices for more than 75% of the flight.