Winter Stockholm Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Pizzaman, Feb 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Other than a very brief stop at ARN for NordicDO where we didn't leave the airport, I've never been. I have a business trip scheduled in just a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on things to do in Stockholm. In the cold.

Or, should I hop a flight somewhere else close by for a day trip?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was there in January a couple years ago for a drinking weekend. It worked very well for that. My photos tell me we did shots in the ice bar and walked around reasonably cold. We may have had food or drink at a place called Tunnan. The City Hall tour is pretty cool, too.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember walking around the historic area almost across a little bridge from the Grand Hotel, near the palace entrance with the changing of the guard including the sheep. There was an ice hotel museum and some house of trolls. Touristic but fun because it was quirky and unique. There are some up and coming neighborhoods with good (new creative local fine dining) restaurants, also some interesting museums if you have time.

If you have a kid that likes stuffed animals, look for moose and other northern wild animals in various sizes.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Doing shots may not be in my future, but the ice bar sounds like it should make the list. MSP, they change the guard or the sheep? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, as long as you're changing that BA ticket anyway... :)

Pizzaman likes this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Touche. Helsinki worth a day trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent a week in Stockholm in 2010 and I'll also vote for a tour of the City Hall. The "Gold Room" within the City Hall is the venue for the Nobel Prize Banquet.

Panamora pic of Stockholm: The leftmost (darkish) tower below is the Stockholm City Hall. Doesn't the pic look like a scene out of a painting by one of the "Dutch Masters"?
    STOCKHOLM-PANORAMA-2.jpg

"Gold Room" inside the City Hall
    : Venue of the Nobel Prize Banquet. Every millimeter of the room's walls is covered with genuine gold.
    Gold Room.jpg

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. windchaser777

windchaser777 Member

Status Points:
    I was in Stockholm during the summer in 2013 and would love to go back in winter. I stayed on Gamla Stan which you can spend a day exploring on its own; there's the Royal Palace, a couple of churches and a variety of shops. The changing of the guard ceremony was impressive, and you can also see them depart on their way to the palace from the staging ground at the Military Museum. There's also the ABBA Museum and Swedish Music Hall of Fame on the same island as the amusement park Gröna Lund.
    Helsinki is definitely worth a trip as well, I didn't want to leave.

9. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vasamuseet, highly recommended.

Helsinki is really too far for a meaningful day trip. You can find ferries (really cruise ships) that travel ARN-HEL as overnight journeys. On a business trip to Helsinki, I squeezed in a 2-night 1-day cruise for about the price of two hotel nights in Helsinki and spent the day (really about 7 hours) at the aforementioned Vasamuseet.