Winter Schedules and the BOS-SLC "Ski Shuttle"

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Sean Colahan, Sep 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the past 10 years I have taken Delta from BOS to SLC for ski weekends and to attend the Sundance Film FEstival. I have always taken the direct 6:30 am departure out of BOS and returned on the 5pm departure out of SLC. These flights are always full, but some reason DL is not showing these flights for winter 2012. Currently their is only a 4pm BOS-SLC and a 10ish am SLC-BOS. Have hey just not loaded their winter schedule yet? If not, do you know when they typically modify their schedule for the winter months? For DL to cut these flight times from their schedule would blow my mind. Always full flights and full of a lot of skies because you would get to SLC at 10 am, be on the slopes at noon and on the return you could ski till 1 or 2 and make your 5pm back east. Any help or knowledge regarding DL scheduling would be greatly appreciated.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that full flights need not be profitable. If it's a leisure route, DL might be required to sell (deeply) discounted seats on these flights. Hence, they could be considered lower priority for aircraft and/or attractive slot times. However, I do see your point that for ski trips, the schedule matters a lot.

Have you looked at seasonal schedules into other ski destinations, such as Colorado's smaller airports?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also know there was connecting traffic on that route to west coast destinations (LAX/SFO) cause of the nice early departure. The tickets weren't highly discounted, though they weren't top shelf prices either (at least what I was buying). Not interested in other destinations outside SLC cause of Sundance and the snow. If I wanted to do DEN I would do UA. Only reason I currently fly DL is cause of this direct flight, otherwise I'm a *A flyer.

DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the merger now, a lot of the primary/secondary flow can go over MSP, which due to the shorter stage length tends to help RASM numbers out.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    The early am BOS-SLC was popular even during the summer the one time I took it.

If they are moving sections around for the winter months they should be doing it soon IMO.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a big disappointment for me too. I liked the 6:30am departure, 5pm return as I could get near full days of skiing in on both the days I arrived an departed. Canyons, Deer Valley, and Park City participate in the QuickStart program which allows same day arriving passengers a free lift ticket with completed application and airline boarding pass.

What is more surprising to me is that the early AM BOS/PM SLC departure allowed more connections in SLC. Perhaps DL ultimately decided to keep the AM SLC/PM BOS departure to align with connections for the AMS/CDG/LHR flights at Logan.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking a look at the 1030a departure bank out of Salt Lake (that BOS connected into), there's not a ton of major connectivity going on there that can't be hit over Minneapolis or Atlanta. Yes, there are some cities in Montana and Oregon that lose out (Eugene, etc.), but I'd guess most of the flow traffic going over Salt Lake was heading to the larger cities - Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, Southern California, Vegas, Phoenix - all of which can be hit over other hubs. Heck, even MSP can hit Spokane, Boise, Albuquerque, San Jose, Orange County, Billings and a lot of the secondary/tertiary level cities. At the end of the day, there likely isn't a ton of demand for that morning flight for connections from Boston to places like Butte, Lewiston, Elko, etc.

Though, at the end of the day, it is interesting that Boston lost their flight, while places like Philadelphia, Orlando and Baltimore kept their morning ex-out station flight.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! PHL, BAL, MCO all have it...where's BOS! I wonder how many people may choose another airline (ex myself) to get to SLC if DL stops this flight...Maybe I'll ask them on twitter.

9. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree it's a bit ironic BWI, EWR, IAD, PHL all have early AM departures to SLC and evening returns to the respective cities. As it is the flights are packed to gills and often go out completely full and even oversold sometimes. I contacted DL and got the usual canned response that they are adjusting capacity and withdrawing under performing routes.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the same thing when contacting DL.

11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having completely full planes is not the same as running a profitable route. I find it hard to believe Delta would actually withdraw from a profitable route.

12. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was in Park City over the weekend...beautiful up there right now. Still warm but a storm coming in tonight, I think by later this week SLC might see some flurries. Get ready to ski!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've got plenty of snow here in MA...

Flyer1976 and Sean Colahan like this.
  14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know...it's crazy!

15. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to book a few winter ski flights this evening. Nothing has changed for the winter schedule but it looks like things are being switched around a bit for the fall. Certain odd days have departures at 7:00am or 11:00am and some days are showing 73H, 738, 75X and 757 equipment. Should be interesting, hopefully they will bring back a morning option. The current schedule is really lousy for an MA based skiier.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a great flight time for delta....dope they do bring it back.

737823 likes this.
  17. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's back!

Effective December 15, 2012 DL be resuming the second flight through December 30, 2012:
    DL 2017 BOS 06:50 SLC 10:30 73H
    DL 2022 SLC 17:00 BOS 23:33 73H

Wish it lasted all winter but its something.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  18. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had the same schedule last year. Its the lasting through winter part that sucks. Well they lost one customer, especially since US has a flight CLT-SLC.

19. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too am shocked at the removal of these popular routes. The 7AM EWR-SLC and the 5PM return were the single greatest flights for NY metro area lovers of Utah powder. Getting into SLC early enough for a half day at Alta/Snowbird, and leaving SLC late enough to get a half day of skiing in as well. I've flown that route at least 20 times, and was devastated to see it missing this year.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  20. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd take DL via MSP over US on anything.

All that said, has anyone noticed how many routes SCL has shed since the merger? MSP is quite a bit larger as an airpot, and as pointed out, much traffic going to the west-coast can transit via DTW and MSP. SLC seems to be "shrinking" in importance as a hub. Of course, AS is taking some traffic (even transcon) I suspect, via the BOS-SEA and similar code shares.

Dave

USAF_Pride likes this.