Winter 2013 schedule changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jul 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few have come out with the schedule loads this weekend, mostly bad news.

EWR-EZE is canceled as of 29 September. This was the old IAD-EZE route and is currently operated by a 2-cabin 763. EZE remains available via IAH.

EWR-IST is canceled as of 1 November. This was also a 2-cabin 763. IST will require partner flights (YYZ or many options in Europe) going forward.

SEA-NRT switches to a 787 on 5 November from a 3-cabin 777.

That's a few spare planes going back into the available resources pool. I wonder where they'll end up.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I'm surprised about IST. TK has put a ton of USA-Turkey capacity into the market, and AC's flight probably didn't help things, either.

unavaca, desamo, bmg42000 and 2 others like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, and UA's share was never very strong there. I'm bummed mostly because I really like Istanbul and the GPUs seemed to clear quite readily.

genemk2, ssullivan, unavaca and 5 others like this.
  4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this is the final change, it's actually a huge relief. With ANA entering the SEA/NRT market, Delta competing much more aggressively in Seattle and adding SEA/HND, and United clearly not being super strong on this route (easiest upgrade, anytime) I was kind of expecting the route to be canned.

We lose first class, but to a certain extent we lost it a while ago when UA decided that the route was to be the last to be flown by IPTE aircraft. In essence, there hasn't been a real first class for a while... the old suites had become quite tired.

Funny how I happened to book a SEA/NRT trip on ANA weeks ago just to fly the 787 and now UA offers the same service...

desamo likes this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH-EZE was one of the good things to come out of the merger. Pre-merger, I flew SFO-IAD-EZE in Y. That's a long flight. SFO-IAH-EZE is 1,000 miles, or 2 hours, shorter.

6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given IST is gone IAD-DME coming back? :)

I'm really surprised with EWR-EZE and IAD-EZE. This means for us east coast people having to trek to Houston. Ughh. Those flights can't doing that poorly.

It looks like UA is surrendering South America to LATAM/AA. Meh.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Me, too. The part where UA/NH have a JV now for TPAC makes me even more curious about it. I wonder if there is a market sufficient to split the traffic into two flight banks. Seems like not but I wonder....

8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that those of you booked on EWR-IST can get yourselves reaccomodated on EWR-TLV-IST...;)

9. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stopovers allowed?

This totally BLOWS. I wanted to take the EWR-IST to travel to Sochi in Feb. Meh.

I'm REALLY, REALLY curious as to where these extra PMUA 767-300s enough for daily a international city are going to. I hope the 767-300s are not being stored or worse retired.

10. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. ;)

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if only those JV foreign metal flights would earn Lifetime Miles credit as well!:mad:

12. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that among the options the IST ticket holders might have are:

1. Rebooking on JV partners, with your flights rebooked into J on a JV partner if you were previously confirmed in the BusinessFirst cabin by any means; or

2. Waiver of change fees (and perhaps fare difference) if you'd like to just go to Israel instead as your destination.

Good luck.

13. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    With respect to the SEA change, UA has basically cut themselves out of the market. The used to have a fairly massive network out of SEA that they gave to AS. With AS feeding DL TPac flights it was only a matter of time. I think SEA-PDXis all that is left of the UA feeder network. I think there was a point where UA used every gate in the N concourse, not anymore.

14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA definitely had the entire N concourse from the 1980's until sometime in the mid 2000's. There were a few AC departures and for a brief while B6 operated out of a UA gate.

Back in the day UA had 2/day to JFK, 12/day to ORD & DEN, and non-stops to places like SAN, SMF, DFW, YVR and for while hourly flights to SFO & LAX. They also flew to ANC and HNL. UX served GEG and maybe BOI. Actually BOI may have had mainline for a while. Today there is still connecting service to YVR on AC and PDX on UX. But the SEA-NRT flight has to carry its weight with O/D traffic (or flow traffic past NRT) and cargo. There may be some corporate customers who demand it, given that SFO is so far out of the way in addition to being an unreliable connecting hub - SEA flights are often pinched when ATC delays haunt SFO.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do wonder where all those aircraft are going to end up, especially as they take more 787 deliveries too.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be prepared to be let down

What I predict will happen :
    - A 757 (PMCO) TATL route ex EWR will be upgraded to a 767-300. Currently there is a 757 flying EWR-FRA and plenty EWR-LHR . That's probably where it will go. I say this because when IAD-DME went "sessonal" the plane and flight number UA 964 /965 went to EWR-AMS. When IAD-ACC ended, the plane went to IAD-CDG, which was a joke operating with 757 equipment.

What I would like to see happen :
    - New route, and bring back DME please.

PMCO had a serious wide body shortage problem, turning (sometimes) Gander into a 757 base.. The remaining 767s will go to fill this hole. Be prepared to be disappointed.

17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that happens, the sCO 752's might be doing some domestic flying. The BF seats are a lot nicer than domestic F seats, if you can get the upgrade.

Gtitan likes this.