Wine Discussion - Share your thoughts here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by NYBanker, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I thought it would be good to have a spot for various random wine discussions. Let's see how it goes!

I am a big fan and consumer of wine. I like almost every grape, but I struggle with some Pinot Noir-based wines. I'm making progress on some of the higher end Burgundies, but it has been a bunch of effort (too much?) to get acclimated.

My favorite wines these days are Shiraz, Cabernet (typically in Bordeaux style) and Sauvignon Blanc.

My two "house wines" are Waterstone Cab and Clonakilla Shiraz.

What are you drinking?

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a fan of chardonnay, nor of Parkeresque 'big' wines, nor anything sweetish but otherwise I am prepared to drink nearly anything. I tend to malvasia di candia when I find good oens, and sauvignon blanc I'll drink always. For reds I prefer nebbiolo, malbec and most bordeaux style blends. Generally I am offended by hugely expensive wines, but I do love underpriced bargains. I have been known to spend far too much on a fine bottle or case from time to time.

Although I am not a fan of sparkling wine, Mrs jb is, so I buy a lot of it. She is partial to the lighter Brazilian Rose sparkling wines, and any rose champagne. We have a few cases of Dom Perignon rose and Moet & Chandon Imperial rose that we bought out of a receivership, so special occasions are joyous for her and her friends.

i drink scotch or pastis while they indulge in Champagne.

3. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    We tend toward American Pinots. Right now, we have a lot of Anderson Valley stuff (heavy on Drew, Goldeneye, and Foursight), as well as quite a bit of Sonoma stuff (Williams Selyem, especially). Still have a few Oregon Pinots kicking around, but living in Europe makes it tough to restock - we have so much California stuff due to a couple of weddings we've been to in the area where we stocked up.

As for Burgundy, which you are having trouble acclimating to, I find it usually bad value and look elsewhere. There are definitely some great ones, but the pricing is so often absurd that I prefer to spend my money on quality American stuff. At the lower end, I find Burgundy's to range from awful to drinkable and with a lot of junk to wade through. To be fair, many of the lower-end American Pinots can be underwhelming, too.

4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:

Ahhh...finally... a wine discussion!! Thank you NYBanker!!

I am a huge fan of most any red wine, but partial to Cabernet, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Petite Syrah, Shiraz, and Zin, and an occasional Merlot if it is big! Ok, so just about every red wine! I am lucky enough to live in California, a little over an hours drive to the Santa Barbara wine region, and 2.5 hours from most of the Central Coast wineries...I guess that is both good and bad, though, because it makes for a rather expensive short drive:D.

I love discovering the relatively unknown wineries, the boutique wineries, and the up and comers. You can usually find fantastic wines and incredibly low prices...that is...until they are discovered!

Thanks again for starting this post!

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to like Riesling, but have now found it a little too sweet for my changing taste. I like champagne, but mostly only drink it aboard a plane.

Now my favorite is the Sauvignon Blanc. For everyday drinking, mostly I get the NZ ones from Marlborough (Kim Crawford, etc.). Alcohol tax is high where I am, so I don't buy wines as much as I would like to.

lwkatya, Flyer1976, Gaucho and 2 others like this.
  6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to add my everyday drinker...

Marquis Philips Shiraz...$11.99/bottle and drinks like a $40-50 cab

Gaucho, NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had to sum this up in a (relative) nutshell:

The two "I don't like and I don't drink" wines are California Pinot Noir and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. There are some excellent exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between. It isn't a matter of the grape, it is a matter of the terroir and winemaking style.

"Go-to" reds are most often going to be a Rhone varietal/blend. This is especially true while dining out and people are eating different sorts of entrees. Both California and French. There's also a fair amount of great Zinfandel in California that is made with a lot of style and finesse, and isn't a 16% fruit bomb, not that I don't like a good fruit bomb zin about once a year. Same goes for our Chard - love the grape, hate the style here, but it is changing. Yet, also from the "once a year" calendar, a big buttery 50-times malolactic fermented chard suits the bill.

I drink a fair amount of white - and it ranges all across the board, but it is usually on the crisp, dry, acidic side, and can be from one of a half-dozen countries. (I am keeping this to a nutshell.)

I drink a fair amount of red - and it ranges all across the board, but it usually is in the medium-bodied department (again, keeping this to a nutshell - I certainly wouldn't throw a top California cab out of the wine glass).

I drink a fair amount of rose - plenty of pleasant dry crisp rose out there, coming from many locales.

(How much does "3 fair amounts" add up to in the aggregate? :eek: )

I am not afraid to try new things, and find a lot of fun and value doing so - some local wine stores can be your key to this - under $10 a bottle with wines "one valley over from the famous one" gets you some great French and Spanish wine. (Great, as in, for everyday drinking)

Ok, that is the nutshell - I'm sure I'll add more later!

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm very much a wine drinker, but fairly flexible as to what wines i drink (just no boxed wines). My favorite is a good chianti, but i can be satisfied with pretty much any lounge wine (though I did get spoiled at the IC New Orleans)

NYBanker, jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    We tend to prefer, for some odd reason, dry full flavored wines from the southern hemisphere, Argentina, Chile, Australia, and others, plus good Italian chianti and nero d'avolo. Those for when we go fancy drinkin'. Otherwise, at home our house beverage is Livingston Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon in the giant jugs. I know, no class.

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... I see nine posts above and the word Malbec comes up only once.... :eek: The only possible conclusion is that the folks over at Wines of Argentina are not doing their job !!!! ;)

On a more serious note, I of course have a horse in this race, so I will opine about my drinking habits as a consumer & collector. I started my wine collection during my early 20ies and didnt become a member of the wine industry until I turned 36 so I still consider myself very much a consumer regardless of my "day job".

My wife and I enjoy styles of wines, from big reds to crisp mineraly whites and we are both very fond of sparkling wines. We consume a good amount of wines from outside Argentina, which I buy during my travels or trade with visitors & clients that come from abroad. To keep this a commercial free post on my part, I will share some of my favorite labels from oustide of Argentina which we try to seek out and drink as often as we can...

California - Dominus
    California - Sine Qua Non
    California - Justin
    Austria - Kracher
    Austria - Winegut Schmelz
    Austria - Kirnbauer
    Champagne - Salon
    Champagne - Billecart Salmon
    Champagne - Delamotte
    Champagne - Deutz
    Australia - D'Arenberg
    Australia - Henschke
    Australia - Glaetzer
    South Africa - Vergelegen
    South Africa - Klein Constantia
    South Africa - Vilafonte
    Uruguay - Carrau

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Naw - I just started with a "nutshell" - friends were coming over in a few minutes, try to get some sort of reply, post. I loves me some Malbec.

NYBanker and Gaucho like this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The following wine I didn't like so much. From Argentina. Nondescript cafe. Asked for white wine (there was likely a choice of one white wine). Don't laugh. Yes, the stuff in the bucket is for the wine.
    BB to 040911 064.jpg

13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Malbec. ...and Syrah. There.

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IMG00025-20091231-1321.jpg
    New Year's Eve in Chile - every year I am the self-appointed purveyor of wines of varying qualities. (The "tradition" somehow started after one year, at my friend's parents place in the south, we were drinking Gato Negro from the box, and ran out, and had to find a little store open that had an even "lesser brand" in a box. [​IMG]
    So, now, I just bring the wine. No one is insulted!

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but Colon doesnt qualify as wine..... I wouldnt even dare rate it as plonk.... :eek:

garyst16, NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice... care to name a few Malbecs you like...?

NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One cannot discuss reds without Malbec, can one? I wish we had better Malbec choices here. Today i saw some excellent prices in the window of Le Grand Cru, of all places. I will go tomorrow to check out the options. I wish you were here to advise me. Better yet i wish i were there buying it from you!

NYBanker and Gaucho like this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
  19. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho, the wine photographed in this post was a very good "go to" wine while in Argentina. However, in recent trips the price seems to have shot up, and I don't know if the quality (or at least taste) remains as high. Thoughts? Alternatives? (Giving you an "in" for immediate Malbec MP cred! :p )
    IMG00065-20100109-1828.jpg

20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes..... wish we could get this here in EZE.... :(

jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... Im working on being able to deliver door to door to Brazil. Its not an easy task, as the Brazilian market remains strongly closed despite all the bla bla bla regarding MercoSur.... more info as I have it.

jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  22. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    It cannot be disputed that Luigi Bosca knows how to make good wines... perhaps one if its less strong suits is the fact that it makes a ton of international style wines, and that its portfolio lacks a few true gems that would allow it to stand out from all the other producers. The Luigi Malbec DOC is still a good wine, but as you note its price has increased almost 50% this year, and at its current price point there is not very strong competition.....

jbcarioca, NYBanker and Flyer1976 like this.
  23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are two of my favorite Californians.

Can you tell us about the Uruguayan offering?

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had the '01 Grgich cab tonight (regular, not yountville) and I was pleased. The tannins are now comfortably mellowed while the fruits remained appropriately at attention.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very fond of their Rose. This property has been in the same family since the mid-1800's and is normally very reasonably priced and good quality. It is about 1 1/2 hours from my former house near Nice, and i have bought wine there numerous times. It is a great area to visit, a better one to live.

http://www.domainetempier.com/en/index.php

Thanks for posting this one. It brings back fond memories. BTW, not too far away is the distillerie for Henri Bardouin, my favorite pastis. I have made a pilgrimage or two there also.

mynameismud likes this.