Windows8? we are not ready for primetime.

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by 2soonold, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Myself and senior friends are using computers that came with Windows7 installed(except for a few using XP). We are thinking about getting new computers just before manufacturers switch to Windows8. Any guess as to how long there will be a decent supply of Windows7 computers available?

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few years.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure that consumer models would be readily available with Win7 for a few years after the Win8 launch. But if you look for machines targeted more at companies, those tend to offer greater flexibility.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually when Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, the computers available at retail will switch to the new version within 3 months. Microsoft makes the new version available to the computer makers at least three months before the official availability date, so they have time to switch over. So if you are sure you want a Windows 7 computer, I would not wait too long once the Windows 8 ship date is announced.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    2soonold likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are talking about retail, then yes, close enough. If you are talking about online purchasing, that has not been the case with Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc. Even with Windows Vista huge push to replace XP, it was a very long time (1+ originally) that you could easily order computers with Windows XP on it and after initial discontinuation of it, most large computer manufacturers were forced to offer it again to support corporate customers. Windows 7 did a bit better as it is more liked than Vista, but there is still a large overlap in time.

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used a couple different iterations of Window 8 as it has been developed. MS has made progress, though I still think that Win 8 is a step back for a desktop OS user -- especially if you don't have new hardware. There is no question that Win 7 is not okay on a tablet, and I think Win 8 will help fixed that hole in the current MS offerings, though it is a very strange dynamic to use an OS designed with touch-screens in mind with a mouse.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did they increase the hardware requirements? I would have thought with their new support for lower-end ARM processors they'd have optimized the heck out of it.

9. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think adambadam was referring to not having a touch-screen monitor, as opposed to the listed minimum specs. I've been testing Windows 8, too. With a mouse and keyboard, the experience is lacking. A lot of the touch-centric controls, like swiping from the sides of the screen, just don't translate to a mouse.

Sedosi and adambadam like this.
  10. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Therein lies the rub. If Windows 8 does as well as Windows 7, then the availability of consumer-grade (and consumer-priced) Windows 7 hardware will start to dry up. However, if Windows 8 becomes a bit of a flop like Vista, then Win7 computers should remain available for a lot longer.

As you noted, people could still order WinXP for a long time, but that was primarily driven by business IT departments skipping the upgrade to Vista. IMO, most businesses are going to skip Win8, which means Win7 computers should be available. The question is whether you will have to buy a business-class PC (Dell Optiplex, etc.) in order to get the "downgraded" OS.

2soonold likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but what new hardware (I am thinking of desktops and laptops) has touch screen monitors?

12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are only a handful I can think of currently (an HP all-in-one for example), though there is a whole wave of new machines recently announced that aim to enhance the Win 8 experience (i.e. touch-screen laptops). Here is a summary of several recently announced products from Computex earlier this month http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/08/computex-2012-wrap-up/

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine wanting a touch screen laptop or desktop. Moving the hand away from the general keyboard area seems... counter-productive... And it won't do jack for me when my laptop is connected to its two 22" external displays.

2soonold likes this.
  14. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been a lot of touch-screen laptops/convertible tablets. Fewer are still being produced. My company just purchased 20 IBM ThinkPad convertible tablets for doctors to use for electronic medical records (EMR). They are primarily used in laptop mode, typing where appropriate and clicking on the screen as necessary. It frees them up from having to use the trackpad or trackpoint when moving from a text field to hit "OK" or "Close." This has been more popular than using them in straight "tablet" mode with handwriting recognition (which is spotty, at best). These types of computers have been around for a while and are used by specialty industries, like health care and sales (capturing client signatures, etc).

What remains to be seen is whether Win8 will move these computers out of the specialty realm and into everyday computing. I agree that for a traditional desktop computer, these changes aren't likely to be welcomed or useful. However, as there are more portable computers than desktop computers sold these days, we desktop users may be moving into the minority and Win8 will be uniquely suited for a portable computer (with touchscreen) marketplace.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My last Windows laptop was a convertible Thinkpad laptop/tablet. I thought I would use it in tablet mode for things like reading (such as this forum... writing this on my iPad), but I virtually never did, primarily because it was too heavy and because it required the use of a stylus. A couple years later the iPad came out and did it right. Maybe Win8 will get it right, too, but hopefully it doesn't come at the expense of keyboard/mouse productivity/usability.

16. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last version of the ThinkPad had a capacitive touchscreen (fingers) and a digitizer (stylus) on the same screen, so you could use either or both. The stylus is more precise, but your finger is easier to use.

Win8 hardware certification requires a multi-touch touchscreen (with something like 8 or 9 simultaneous points), so you don't have to use a stylus.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, mine is a bit older. I think it's the X41 model and originally came with XP tablet edition (works fine with Win7, though). I think the next model might have had a "finger" screen... But of course the vast majority of the Windows software isn't designed for finger use. Eg I love FeedDemon as my Windows RSS reader, but I doubt I'd want to use it with my fingers.

By the way, I didn't consider my Thinkpad purchase a failure. I loved it even though I didn't use it in tablet model. I still have it with Win7 on it, even though my main machines are now Macs.

18. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Blasphemy! I might have to "Unfollow" you for that!

19. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  21. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's actually quite smart of Microsoft to allow direct upgrades from XP, and for the same price. Maybe this will finally spell the end of Windows XP...which for all its faults, was a pretty stable Windows release.

TAHKUCT likes this.