Windows Phone App (Finally) On the Way

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by webdes03, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United announced their Feeding America promotion last week that makes donations to Feeding America for every download of the United app. In the thread on their Facebook page, there was the typical complaining from many of us that United still does not offer a Windows Phone app, a huge alienation to their business customers. After several complaints in the thread they announced that there is in fact a Windows Phone app on the way. There was no date or anything else stated, but does anyone have any more information on this?

2. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had asked the IT folks this question at the MegaDO in November. They said then that it was on its way. I have the real feeling that they really don't want to support 3 apps and are hoping that the noise in the crowd goes away. Though they did say that the similarities between Win8 and WinPhone8 had its advantages.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the app to come anytime soon. Heck Alaska doesn't have a WinPhone app and they are based here in Seattle the one city with a very high WinPhone usage rate (compared to the rest of the world).

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you hit the nail on the head, but all that said... if that's their position, then they need to stop hyping the apps so much. They're so quick to tell you about their leading apps and how awesome they are. Delta (as an example) has an awesome Windows Phone app that runs circles around United's apps, and they don't hype them nearly as much. Their strategy shouldn't continue to be "we're 66% committed to the mobile space".

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    All three of them that use a Windows Phone? ;)

5. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't take much to run around a non-existant app. :D But you are right, at least DL and AA are playing in the WinPhone space.

6. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a larger group than three, there are at least 70,000 WinPhones within a 25 mile radius of where i am sitting.;)

There is a market for the phone, just not a huge market in comparison to iOS and Android.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, there are probably about 700,000 iPhones and another 700,000 Android phones within a 25 mile radius of where I am sitting. And very few Windows Phones.

Microsoft is probably helping them fund the development of the app, though. They have the cash and the desire to get these types of apps onto their platform.