Windows Phone 8 App Released

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up that this morning we'll be releasing our mobile app for Windows Phone 8 devices. The features are similar to those on our mobile app for iPhone, BlackBerry (using BlackBerry 10), and Android devices, although the look and feel varies a little bit in that it uses some of the design style unique to Windows 8, with panoramic swiping to get between screens for different options.

The app should be available for download soon (if not already) in the Windows Store.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

Flyer1976, MSY-MSP, okrogius and 7 others like this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aaron, are there any plans to release a version of the app specific to the iPad? Using the iPhone app just looks and feels very clunky, especially when compared to how AA's iPhone and iPad apps take advantage of the different form factors to provide a nice experience on both devices. I prefer the functionality of the UA iOS apps over the AA iOS apps though.

guberif, COFlyerCLE and uggboy like this.
  3. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the 3 Windows Phone owners in the world rejoice! ;)

mtbroxs, Flyer1976, edekba and 8 others like this.
  4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Installing now and will try it out at the airport in just a couple hours :)

Thanks United!

Flyer1976, webdes03, rggale and 2 others like this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome indeed. Thanks! :)

webdes03 likes this.
  6. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic - thank you!

webdes03 likes this.
  7. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Finally those of us in Redmond have something. I was begining to wonder if it would ever appear.

Already installed on the phone, Will have to do a comparison against the iPhone app (since i have both WP8 and an iPhone)

webdes03 likes this.
  8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rejoice... been waiting for a Windows Phone app for ages... unfortunately it's only for WP8, and since I'm WP7 and am not due for upgrade for another 8 months I guess I'm still SOL.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hallelujah, Windows Phone users are not orphaned and ignored by UA!

10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that an iPad-specific app would be awesome.... I assume there are way more iPad users than WP8 users.

11. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    webdes03 and MSY-MSP like this.
  12. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alrighty, I've played extensively with the app, and wanted to report back.

First, let me just say it loud and clear -- United, excellent job. For a v1, this is truly a success. Slick and snappy app, lots of features, very few issues. Way to go.

Here's a bug report and a wish list to help you improve this great app.

Fit and finish issues
    • Number formatting is inconsistent throughout the app, leading to readability issues. For example, on the "my account" page, the mileage balance shows as XXX,XXX (with a separator) whereas the PQM balance displays as XXXXX (no separator.)
    • Typo in United Clubs details page: "Amenities and Eligbility"
    • Incorrect text in United Club one-time pass FAQ page: Q. "What if I purchase a UC membership?" A. "May I apply the value..." Answer doesn't make sense.
    • Inconsistent label in airport maps: for IAD, change Dulles, VA to Washington, DC. I do realize that IAD is in VA, but then again, EWR is in NJ, and so on. This is inconsistent.
    • Allow panning/screen flicking while data is loading. For example, the flight status pages are painful to use, because they all pull data on the fly, which takes up to a couple of seconds. If I want to navigate from flight details to the upgrade list, for example, I should be able to do so without waiting for intermediate pages such as the seat map to load.
    • Offline experience is inconsistent. Some data is cached, such as the "my account page" details. However, most data is (rightfully so) unavailable while offline. Some pages trigger a clear error message, others are just misleading. For example, the mileage history indicates no flights in a given period in lieu of reporting an error.
    Itinerary management issues
    • Upgrade status is missing. While experienced users may understand that when a flight segment appears twice with two different COS, it likely means that the higher COS is waitlisted, this is very confusing for the casual user. Complimentary upgrade requests also don't show up.
    • Several seat selection issues.
      • Performance is poor -- it takes a while to load the seat map.
      • Seats can always be assigned -- even on standby or waitlisted segments. Obviously they won't stick but it is confusing.
      • Seat selections appear to stick even if the user presses the "back" button instead of the "accept" option.
      • The list of flight segments does not display seat numbers until seats are selected, even if seats are already assigned in the reservation.
    • The experience for itineraries post-checkin is extremely confusing. For future itineraries, clicking on a PNR displays the reservation as well as a list of options. But for the current itinerary being flown, clicking on the PNR displays a menu with options such as "display reservation", "change flight", etc. All these options appear to lead to the same page, which is basically a recap of the current itinerary with further options. For example, for a same day change, you'd click on the PNR, then on "change flights", then scroll down, then click on "change flights" again. I don't understand what the first menu page is intended to help with.

Miscellaneous issues
    • The "My account"/"Flights" section is extremely confusing. I believe I understand what it's supposed to do, but it makes little sense. I assume that "My travel" on the home screen is kind of a wallet in which you can store any itinerary, whereas the "Flights" section under "My account" lists itineraries specifically linked with the user's MP number. In reality, though, it leads to confusing, duplicate information and pages. Also, the "Flights" section lists the first connection point as the destination, which makes it useless. Most of my itineraries appear to be from SEA to SFO, when in reality they are to various cities in the world.
    • Occasional crashes while panning and zooming on airport maps. I understand you're using Bing Maps under the hood -- perhaps it'd be better to simply redirect to the Maps app instead of hosting it in a control. It'd be more responsive and reliable.
    • Navigation issue in the United Club section. Select "SFO", then select IFL or Arrivals. An error message states that there is no further information. Click back, and you land back at the airport selection page rather than at the lounge index for the selected airport.
    • Flight update section in My Travel always empty. I could not figure out how to get information to display there. My flight was delayed yesterday--nothing showed up.
    • No employee recognition module.
    Lack of context sensitive data

Overall, it'd be great if the app was smarter in providing real-time and personalized information. For example:
    • A Live Tile with the next flight number, gate, and actual boarding time would be awesome.
    • The Contact Us screen should display the correct phone numbers for the user's elite status instead of static information. If I want to call United as a 1K and use the app, I don't want to end up using the generic number.
    • Ideally, airport maps would display based on the current itinerary instead of being a static list.
    • The "checkin" option should be pre-populated with the most relevant PNR. I shouldn't have to type in my PNR when the app otherwise knows my list of upcoming flights.
    I hope this is helpful. I can't stress enough how I'm happy to see this app and how great it is, especially for a v1. I'd be happy to keep testing. Send me the betas :p

webdes03, Hartmann and okrogius like this.