Windows 10- there will be 7 different versions

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, May 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Microsoft has announced details of Windows 10- there will be seven different versions. Screwy.

Home, pro, enterprise, mobile, mobile enterprise, education, and 10 loT Core for small gateway devices

Nothing like confusing the marketplace to stimulate sales of a product that people will already be naturally wary of.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically the same as most prior versions. And people figure out what they need pretty quickly. There may be plenty of real reasons people will choose to not buy the OS. But it won't be because they cannot figure out which version they want or need.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly 'cause it's free for most people (free upgrades from Win 7 or Win 8).

But yes, there are about as many versions of WIndows now. Not really confusing since it usually comes pre-installed on whatever device you buy so you never wind up having to make a choice.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... And I will certainly upgrade to 10 for the systems I manage that are running on 8.x but the 7.x systems, I might leave it a while longer, at least closer to the end of the free upgrade period. I read the upgrades may be free only for limited time but things change though. It is after all in MS's interest to have as many folks on the 10 platform as possible.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fortunately with the POS hack it is still possible to keep doing windows update on XP.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to know whether I have an IoT device or a mobile device or a laptop/desktop ("computer"). Assume the latter, that leaves me with three choices... home, pro, enterprise. Kinda like Windows 7. Oh, wait. No. There were SIX versions of that for "computers":

- Starter
    - Home Basic
    - Home Premium
    - Professional
    - Enterprise
    - Ultimate

And of course there was something like IoT -- called Windows Embedded. The latter had three versions.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't be able to buy enterprise at retail so don't worry about that.

Home is, as it sounds, for home users. This is better than prior versions where there were multiple "home" options available. Pro is for SMBs who need some business features but not full enterprise licensing. Enterprise will be for those users. Education is pretty self-explanatory.

I fail to see how any of this is remotely close to confusing for a consumer unless they're trying to pretend they understand all the details of a bunch of products they'll never use. And if that's the case I blame them.

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain :) Switch to the Mac :)

ACMM and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Click-bait. All consumers just have to choose from two - home and professional. Of course if you buy a phone with Windows on it, it won't be the exact same set of bytes as the desktop version you can buy in a store. (And there are a handful of special licenses as usual for volume licensing situations.)

10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're a consumer, enterprise isn't an option really. If you're a large business, chances are that you're getting enterprise.

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does that mean "loT Core"?

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    anileze and iolaire like this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, and using an "i" in an abbreviation doesn't help since in most fonts its indistinguishable from an "L". Had I searched for "iot" Google would have worked! (Same reason why I generally sign my name in email as "iolaire" rather than "Iolaire."

Gargoyle and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True. So down to two :)

15. KateBennet

KateBennet Member

Status Points:
    Will it be better? I mean Vista was an epic fail and now they are doing this windows almost every year. What for?

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points: