Will you still read other forum sites?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by iceman77_7, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the last couple days, I've gotten more immersed in the milepoint site and less so with FT. Now I am conflicted as to whether I should continue visiting both sites or convert completely over to here once the full site is up and running. Anyone else in the same boat and what are your thoughts?

Lufthansa Flyer and al613 like this.
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much time to you have to devote to various forums? I have the same conflict. (realizing this after spending over 2+ hours reading this one :eek: )

I think my strategy will be to follow threads I have replied to, skim through the forums I am interested in for new information and if I find something to contribute to post over at FT. (will try to keep time limited to 30mins)

Then try to spend time here to get familiar with this site and discover all it has to offer, while trying to contribute where I can. (will try to also limit it to 30mins once I get more in tune with this site)

That is my plan but will have to be reevaluated in the next few weeks. Good luck!

Gaucho likes this.
  3. DoubleJ
    Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Myself, I'll probably use both for the time being and see where things lead me. FT has an invaluable information base built up over a number of years, and the familiarity of knowing what's where. On the other hand, MP has the excitement of being involved in getting something new off the ground. In a sense, the sky's the limit!

cockpitvisit, travelingmore and al613 like this.
  4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will follow interesting threads in both of them.

5. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I going to have to follow both to keep up to date on everything....

6. How long do you suppose it will take for the useful, current information to migrate? So far, it seems like a ton of the popular topics have appeared here.

While a great resource, much of the information on FT is really only of historical interest. I suspect much of that will never make it over. When you reduce it all down to the information that a newbie needs to get started... Seems like that will all be here shortly.

Thoughts?

7. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far I like the interaction better here on MP. I was a lurker at FT for awhile, then started getting into it and began posting more LY. But as I only have a small network there I was very cautious about asking too many questions, especially after being blasted by some person unhappy about a very benign comment I made. It was uncalled for and didn't feel good even after seeng this same person doing the same to others...
    So, I guess my short answer is I'm thinking mp will be my primary, and the other sites I'll go to as frequently as the need arises. I wish I had more time to play here.......

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  8. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that most of the major topics have already migrated here. However, being the kind of OCD, travel-obsessed person that I am, I also enjoy reading about the minutia (looking at pictures of airplane food, passenger rants, etc).

I have a fair amount of free time now, but once I start my next job in July, I will definitely only have time to completely follow one site. Hopefully this site will be the dominant force by then. I also enjoy the whole novelty factor of seeing this site grow from (almost) day 1.

9. vector

vector Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll absolutely continue to follow others. FT, Traveling Better and depending on how this shapes up, the breakdown is unclear.

10. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    if youre on one forum, i dont really see how another forum could replace the forum youre on.

11. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll be interesting to see how much information is "almost exactly" duplicated between sites, especially from the same posters. Hopefully we won't see too much "cut and paste" repetition so we can enjoy each site autonomously.

Primula likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- so far, it looks like MP is going to win out for me- on top of the better user interface and platform, the comments here are higher quality. I will stay on both for a little while- but probably migrate over here. Now if only there was a way here to pay and not see the advertisements (like FT).

13. I would pay a small fee as well...

14. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    too early to tell.

15. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll continue with FT. There are enough sticky to keep me around for a while until MP picked up.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  16. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Download adblock. It's free, works on FF and Google Chrome, and blocks all the ads on all websites. I have no idea what ads you're talking about. :-P

Indiana Delta Diamond and al613 like this.
  17. What else would I do at work if I wasn't checking multiple forums?

swisshat likes this.
  18. vector

vector Active Member

Status Points:
    +1
    No ads with Firefox and Adblock Plus

19. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I have multiple interests it is a no brainer that my interest in reading other forums will not change except for this forum's link added to my favorites. None have been deleted.

20. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this becomes my fourth frequent traveller forum to read when i wake up early.

Gaucho likes this.
  21. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that I do not bother with the other sites anywhere near as much and it seems to get less each day. Except perhaps for SQtalk, as there are not as many new posts there I still manage to stop by once a day.

22. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

wanderlust (VFT) Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since German is my mother tongue I'll stick to VFT anyway. I've been taking a stroll through FT once in a while and will do so in the future. MP right now has the state of a field research: I feel like a participant observer. And yes: I like it... ;)

(Please give us a better set of smileys...)

23. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my first day on MP and I have to say that this will probably become my primary reading/posting forum. I have yet to try out the search feature, but I'm betting its much improved!

The way I see it the search feature is really at the heart of a good forum. It prevents a forum from getting to bogged down with repeat inquiries and thus keeps members more civil.

If the MilesPoint search engine > Flyertalk search engine, that's pretty much it right there.

24. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will continue to follow multiple sites. I have grown accustomed to using several sites and I seem to have a developed certain habits in how I review each site and what specific information I am seeking. I subscribe to multiple sites/blogs in Google Reader which makes for a very quick review. The time spent at FT has decreased significantly, but I still visit a few specific Forums on a daily basis.

kiwi likes this.
  25. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will probably stick with my home forum Air Canada with the occasional lurk on other forums.