Will you donate your frequent flyer miles to help American Airlines flight attendants?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ceieoc, Dec 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight attendants union at American Airlines sent me an e-mail yesterday saying they are concerned that their "travel benefits" could be taken away. Click here for more information.

After the American Airlines bankruptcy, I want to assist these flight attendants who have helped make our flights safer and more comfortable when we travel. I want to reduce flight attendant stress if these flight attendants lose their travel benefits over the holiday season and become stranded.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I pledge to donate at least 25,000 American Airlines miles or Delta Airlines miles to help insure that American Airlines flight attendants will get home for the holidays. If flight attendants use our donated frequent flyer miles in exchange for an airline ticket, it would be better for them than flying "Non-Revenue, Space Available". This is because they would have a confirmed seat instead of hoping the flight they wanted was not sold out and traveling only as "space available".

Does anyone know how to set up a "mileage bank "so we could pledge our miles to these flight attendants, unsure of their travel benefits for the next 60 days. If our miles are not needed, we would keep our miles.

At www.milepoint.com and flyertalk.com, readers continuously reach out to help other people. An example is the two million dollar Kiva pledge found on milepoint.com.

Flight attendants take care of you. Now it is your opportunity to take care of them. If you agree that helping to insure that flight attendants at bankrupt American Airlines get home for the holiday is important, feel free to add your mileage pledge below.

2. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    This appears to be a fishing expedition by the OP and a similar thread has already been locked on TOBB.

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    DenverBrian, I do not know what you think I was fishing for. I requested your opinion to the question asked above which was, "Will you donate your frequent flyer miles to help American Airlines flight attendants?"

I am under the impression that it is acceptable to have a discussion of frequent flyer topics on Milepoint and at Flyertalk, so I posted my question. The moderator team at Flyertalk did not want to permit further discussion on this topic, so their team made a decision to close the item and said in part, "This is highly premature, given there is no cause and no court decision (even suggested) affecting FA travel benefits. If such is implemented, there will be time to discuss this option again...."

As the moderators have more experience than I do regarding the frequent flyer topics they want discussed, posted or viewed on the website they moderate, I do not have an issue with their decision to choose to stop discussion, censor or expunge a particular item. I do not however, understand how, without prior discussion, it would be possible for frequent flyers, like you and I, to collaborate regarding the formulation of any contingency planning such as when condition "A" occurs, then you could fall back on plans B, C or D. Contingency plans are based on speculating what plans you will follow when an event occurs.

Perhaps my question was considered "highly premature" and the moderators do not want us to think about or discuss the possibility of condition "A". I believe, without adequate contingency planning, when an event occurs, chaos may happen. I work daily with contingency planning so my viewpoint may be different from theirs. As always, I appreciate the volunteer time moderators donate to make our web experience more enjoyable.

I thought, when the flight attendants union at American Airlines took the effort to contact 18,000 members by e-mail yesterday, they were concerned their previously negotiated "travel benefits" may be terminated, I want to have a contingency plan or "plan B" in reserve to help them during these troubled times.

If I could, I would want to help all flight attendants who have always made my travel experience safer and more enjoyable. Over the busy holiday season, I want to avoid any flight attendant from being stranded through a court mandated loss of travel benefits, and, without a way to get home for the holidays. I didn't realize it could be controversial to try and help the flight attendants at an airline operating under bankruptcy.

It is a personal decision to donate anything to anyone. Your opinion is yours. Because I have an inquiring mind that wants to know, I would like to know, and I am fishing for, your opinion to my original question.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of threads get locked on the other board. One of the reasons why I am here...

I personally see nothing wrong with this thread, though my answer to the OP is "probably not at this time as I don't see AA taking away their travel privileges -- why would they?" Not unlike what the moderators on FT said, but that doesn't mean I see a reason to criticize the OP or close the thread. Hint: there are lots of other threads here that we can participate in.

Tenmoc, rwoman and Chimpy like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not be donating a single mile. The flight attendants need to be more concerned about a variety of topics from working conditions under bankruptcy (they may end up working more hours), salary, retirement and medical before they start collecting passengers miles for travel. None of those issues are my battles. They pay union dues to have a union represent them on all those issues as well as flight benefits. Let the union fight the battle they've got them into here.

Tom in Berlin today

Sagy, FlyingPanda, Toula and 22 others like this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right on........

spesalvi, Tenmoc and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of where you stand on whose responsibility it is to help/fight this battle, simply in terms of time lines, logistics around creating a mileage bank for issues such as mile transfer time, and award availability, is there even enough time for donated miles to be used for holiday travel? It would be for travel within the next 4 weeks, no?

2soonold and YULtide like this.
  8. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1, yeah Tom!

Mike Reed and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've never heard of anyone in the industry loosing their travel benefits throughout a Ch. 11. While I'm usually very quick to step up, I don't see any reason to start donating anything at this time.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:

It looks like an airline can put together a mileage donation program with rocket speed if they choose to do so. Listed below are links for some airline mileage donation programs.
    http://joinus.aa.com/american-airlines-inc-aadvantage
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/heroMiles.jsp
    http://fisherhouse.org/programs/hero-miles
    http://www.wish.org/help/donate_airline_miles

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA had something on the table last year year when they were in labor negotiations. Very different than chapter 11, though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2010/05/24/british-airways-strike.html

Tom in Dresden

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anytime awards at double the regular price are available anytime there is an open seat. A domestic anytime award in coach would be 50,000 miles.

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Miles for programs for children in need or families of military members that are injured are very different than AA putting together a program for employees in bankruptcy. Have the employees approached AA, or have their unions approached AA, asking for such a program to be set up? If they're in dire need of miles they should let AA know. Could be that the union already has a program set up to assist distressed employees. My union did and once or twice a year someone had to draw on it when they exhausted their benefits and were going into unpaid status. This is the stuff unions do.

Maybe you should ask the unions if they've approached AA being that you are so concerned about the topic.

Toula, PointHoarder and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see anything to indicate travel benefits are in jeopardy, and especially not immediate jeopardy. Retirement benefits, salary concessions, layoffs, etc. are a far more significant risk.

I've also always viewed airline mile donation options as cynical airline attempts to take miles off of the books and generate positive publicity. Setting up a program to offload the cost of an industry-standard benefit from the airline to generous frequent flyers does not provide any of the positive PR benefits, while retaining the strong appearance as a cynical attempt to use the generosity of others to clean up the books and fund an employee benefit via donations.

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada went into the Canadian version of chapter 11.
    Our FF miles were never in jeopardy and the staff never asked for anything but continued loyalty by flying Air Canada.
    AA has a union....let them advocate for their members and leave the pax alone.

16. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    ditto!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Will you donate your frequent flyer miles to help American Airlines flight attendants?"

No.

I've read a lot of absurd stuff on TOBB and here, but this is at the top of the list. You really think that AA would take away employee travel privileges, and then set up a feel-good charitable fund to assist those that they have put into this pitiable position, while not gaining one dime of added revenue? Mind-boggling!

Toula, tom911, aamilesslave and 3 others like this.
  18. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gemac, thank you for the honor of awarding me title of having the most absurd post on Milepoint and Flyertalk. Out of the 17,307,880 previous posts on Flyertalk and 989,241 messages on Milepoint, to be number one in absurdity is quite an achievement. Perhaps I will earn some bonus "Milepoint" status points.

I think anything is possible in the American Airlines bankruptcy. To answer your question, do, "you really think that AA would take away employee travel privileges" it must be possible. Otherwise, why would the flight attendants union at American Airlines send 18,000 e-mails over the weekend saying they are concerned that their "travel benefits" could be taken away? Click here for more information. When I received this e-mail, as I am not an expert at airlines in bankruptcy, I expressed my concern here on Milepoint.com and at Flyertalk.com.

Is anything possible? Bankrupt Mexicana airlines flight attendants just unveiled a racy calendar to draw attention to their bankrupt airline. Unemployed flight attendants from Mexicana have done their bit to save the ailing national carrier: stripping down to bare essentials in a racy calendar to raise much-needed funds. Click here for more information about these Mexicana flight attendants with a video. My take of the Mexicana flight attendants south of the border is, ¡Viva México!, ¡Viva México!, ¡Viva México! Will American Airlines flight attendants do the same thing? I could set up a poll question, but that might be considered absurd.

I remember the thousands of stranded employees and passengers from many other airlines declaring bankruptcy and reported here and here and here and here. In the spirit of the Christmas season, I simply want to help the flight attendants with a backup plan so they will not be stranded away from home during the holidays.

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The email you link to states that no airline has taken away travel benefits as part of a bankruptcy, and also suggests that any such unprecedented action would likely not occur until court approval of the bankruptcy plan. The email specifically downplays such concerns.
    Mexicana ceased operations, quit flying. Should American go down that road (and there is no indication they will), AAdvantage miles would be worthless.
    Same with Flyglobespan.
    Same with Air Comet.
    Same with Vanguard.

Miles on an airline that isn't operating probably wouldn't help laid-off employees get anywhere. Of course, this is all academic as we're likely not headed in that direction with AA.

I appreciate your concern for the employees, and their current plight, but the idea you propose is highly problematic.

Funding your obligations to employees via donations from your customers isn't something a business of AA's size can do without looking terrible. For it to be required, they'd essentially need to screw over their workforce, and then ask for charity from customers. The problems associated with that are immense, and do frequent flyers really want to donate to AA (because that's who would really benefit most from such a scheme). AA is a (troubled) business, not a charity.

tom911 likes this.
  20. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. That is why I was offering a choice of donation of miles from either American Airlines or Delta Airlines if an employee was stranded. If this issue is not a concern, why did the Association of Professional Flight Attendants send out e-mail to bring this to our attention? As I have invested in accumulating a significant number of American Airlines miles, I want to do everything I can to help ensure their future success.

As you say, for it to be required,
    1. they'd essentially need to screw over their workforce, (check) and then
    2. ask for charity from customers. (is this a work in progress?).

I would respond, one task completed, one more task to go.

21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't agree that they did, unless there are other emails that you haven't posted here. They responded to inquiries that they had received about loss of flight benefits with a statement that no airline bankruptcy thusfar had resulted in flight benefits being removed (absent the airline ceasing operations, of course), with a disclaimed that nothing has yet been decided.

The intention and tone of the email was much more to reassure and inform than alarm, particularly regarding this issue.

22. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. When I received their e-mail I though it was a crisis communications that was about to strand the flight attendants away from their home.

23. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you coordinating your plan with the AA flight attendants union?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea Tom911. I'll send them an e-mail. I'll let you know if they respond.

25. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead, why not let us know when AA sets up your charitable donate-miles-to-bereft-flight-attendants operation.

LETTERBOY likes this.