Will wikipost feature(i.e. 2nd post in thread) be implemented on MilePoint?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by lin821, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the limited websites I frequent, I've found the ones with wiki post feature are very useful and helpful when wading through long & informative threads. For references, both Fatwallet and Slickdeals have wiki post feature in place.

I've long advocated a wiki post feature over FT since 2008 (linky) but I doubt I would ever see it happening over there.

For those who are not familiar with wiki post feature, wiki post is not the same as wiki. Once enabled or created, the 2nd post in any given thread will be the wiki post. Sort of a cheat sheet, if you will. The wiki post will then be maintained and updated by all members who choose to collaborate and put together info from discussion that take place in thread. IIRC, wiki post can be "activated" by posters and/or "deactivated" by admin/mods when things get out-of-hand.

I believe with the well of info MilePoint is going to achieve in the foreseen future, a wiki post feature will definitely make finding info much easier for members, both new and old. I don't think I am seeing this feature in some of the threads I've read so far.

Does MilePoint have this wiki post feature when officially launched? If not, will it be implemented? Thanks for considering.

2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this would be a great feature for informative threads--hotel reviews, program feature overviews, etc. It should probably be optional though as some threads--debates/discussion threads for example--wouldn't really fit the format.

3. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my understanding, wiki post feature is not automatically "on" by default.

It has to be "activated" by posters in say threads when they decide to participate and create such wiki posts in threads. I doubt anyone in the right mind would want to create a wiki post in debate threads. ;)

The way I see it is that wiki posts are sort of summation posts in lengthy information threads. Say a new promo code comes out say every quarter. New readers don't have to follow all the posts to dig up the most current code. All they have to do is read the wiki post (i.e. the 2nd post) and see if someone has compiled the updated list. Threads can be less cluttered and questions asked less repetitive if wiki posts are used properly.

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay, that makes sense and would be a potentially good solution. Given the status system in place here, you might also limit wikipost creation, editing to a certain status level and above--just to minimize abusive behavior.

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually, we had a wiki installed here until the day before the launch. we have the technology sand it works, but elected to not try and add too many things in to begin with since our two goals on this first phase of Beta is grow relevant content and make sure the base technology works. I hope our members continue with the feedback on this topic (wiki) since we do have it built in and look forward to playing with it. We're thinking if introducing it for the glossary use to begin with so that members can get use to it as a feature and as merely a reference tool. Thanks for the input so far. We simply ran out of time to be sure of how we wanted to introduce it to the community—today this project is one-month old. But it's been a really long one-month!

lin821 likes this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional info, Randy.

I do wonder though if a in-stream wiki post like what the OP suggested isn't a better solution than a link to a separate wiki. This way the summary of the info accumulated in the thread would be integrated rather than requiring a click-through.

Of course, I'm the furthest thing from a programmer and have no idea how much time/overhead implementing something like that takes.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the decision to hold off on the wiki in order to get into the beta phase. But as we begin to build reference materials in each forum, we will soon need to have some tool to make that info available; info posts tend to drop off the page fairly quickly as the forum traffic increases. Stickies are one solution (which I would prefer not to use); if there will be wikis available, we should at least start planning our reference content accordingly.

8. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy - Could you turn it on for one forum as a trial? Maybe the AA or UA forum?

lin821 likes this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or AC. :)

10. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, thanks for your quick reply and comment. I understand MilePoint Beta is still at the stage of developing and building content and we may not have enough stuff for wiki post feature boardwide.

OTOH, I do see there are some sort of master threads going in certain fora already. Giving the facts that wiki post is a built-in feature and the goal of Beta is to test the base technology, it may be worth considering to have a test-run on this feature in say one or two master type of info threads to start with. With such a smaller scale, the test-run can be well managed & under control, and doesn't have to be a forum-wide event. That way, the admin will get to see how it goes and members get to experiment with and provide feedback for this built-in technology.

What do you think?

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would much prefer a "proper" wiki over the wikipost scheme. But maybe that's just me ...

12. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not both?

It doesn't have to be an either-or option. There's no conflict of interest. Both wiki and wikipost can coexist in harmony online.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's true, they could co-exist. I have nothing against wikipost as such, only if I have to make a choice between wikipost and a "proper" wiki.

14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that few people have patience and understanding for learning the common language for ordinary wikis. So they don't get used by many people. That's where wikiposts are most beautiful: they use the same editor that is used in all the regular forum posts.

I've actually held off from posting some content so far because I simply haven't been able to decide how I want to load it all. For the SPG forum, I'd like to see wikiposts for numerous FAQ threads. I believe that such wikis would make excellent directories of Master Threads without the burden being on someone else to maintain and manage them.

I think that I was the very first person to post about my wish for integrated wikis here. I think that it would be tremendously valuable for almost all of the forums.

lin821 likes this.
  15. I think that WikiPosts sound like a great idea. One of the frustrations I've found with stickys is that they often become outdated and it's time consuming to dig through pages and pages of subsequent replies looking for updated info. This would seem to nicely solve that problem by allowing others to make sure the info is kept updated, rather than putting all the burden on the original poster.

lin821 and SC Flier like this.
  16. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly why I think MilePoint should kick off the wikipost feature as early as possible so folks can either grow out of old habits and/or establish a new routine when visiting MP.

This is such a giving community that collaborative wikiposts will definitely be a success!

17. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one thing I don't like about stickys they become rather stale or so old you wonder how much of the information is current.

Looking through the Qantas Forum on the other board I was looking to recreate a similar sticky here on MP and going through the sticky thread realised that a lot of the links were now out of date.

It would be nice to have a wiki test on a forum maybe not AA or UA as they will get so big I think something like AC.

Any examples of other sites how they look and work.

kiwi likes this.
  18. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    For example, see the wiki post feature on slickdeals.com

19. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A wiki (post or by itself) can be a good idea. However, my concern is that the information could be subject to sabotage (eg all erased) - I'm not sure how often the information here is backed-up as of now.

But having the ability of (at least some) members (not mods or whatever) be able to edit and update does take the burden off the (mods etc) quite a bit. I'm a mod for Hyatt & National over on the other site - the Hyatt stickies were set up by me so only the mods can edit it - when I took over National, I made the conscious decision to have some "regular" members start the sticky threads so that they can also edit the content. that has worked out really well.

20. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    "compromise" concept from a cynic that cant stand wiki >

if this wikipost is always a "2nd" post after the stickied post(s) that does kind of become an "optional" thing for wiki people to use and cynics like me can ignore at first sign of trouble.

21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other problem with wikipost is that it does not make finding information much easier than conventional sticky threads do. Sure, it's easier to update the top of the thread, but how does one find the right thread? Anyway ... as long as we have full wikis as well, I have no problem with wikiposts as a supplement.

22. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote this in another thread concerning wikis:

My thought was that the status calculation algorithm can be extended to automatically apply rights to add and edit wiki pages to certain users who have demonstrated both trustworthiness and aptitude based on the quality of their contributions as determined by the algorithm. This is, of course, in addition to whatever the mods for a particular forum or topic have to say on the issue. In this way, there is less quality content waiting on someone to review before it is posted. It could be posted with a fairly high degree of probability that it is going to be helpful and of high quality instead of wikibombs or other spam.

And then, of course, have a moderated queue for any edits or additions from members who have not met the algorithmically derived qualifications. That way everyone can have input, but more experienced/trusted members who require less oversight are more free to help out.

Or something. :)

aitchly and tomh009 like this.
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This principle appears to fit in -- at beta launch time, only users who had reached silver status could edit their own posts (though this restriction was subsequently removed, at least for the beta period).

24. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect it would be optional in much the same way as polls are optional.

25. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My vote is that something (whether sticky or wiki or ???) be used to pin certain threads at the beginning of a forum.
    I find it helpful at least as a starting point to come up to speed on the terminology or at least the previous ins and outs
    of a topic so that one is better equipped on what to ask or to look for. I understand that often times the info becomes outdated and can be a big hassle to update ... I also have seen that wikis can also become battlegrounds if anyone can edit / delete info.

So I am not sure whats the best solution at this point ...

By the way, how would one be able to suggest that certain threads to be pinned to the beginning of a forum. I have sen some that I would have though should have been pinned.

aitchly likes this.