Will we miss being 1Ks?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Punki, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    This Friday we will be flying our very first non-1K flights in over a decade.

As lowly PremEx MMs, will we notice a difference? By the grace of God, all of our segments are upgraded, but still..................

piqaro and Travelsavant like this.
  2. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Praise be for UG's so the horror of being on the other side of the Red Carpet at Boarding is delayed until another flying day!

3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully, not a day in the near future. :) We have seven trips booked between now and July (two to Europe) and all segments of all flights are already in first, or at least in biz within Europe.

I am really hoping to avoid coach, if at all possible, for the rest of my natural life.

Travelsavant likes this.
  4. I'm in the same boat, been a 1k for the last 13 years, now it's back to coach. Been a great ride while it lasted. Never missed an upgrade unitl last year, but really cant complain. United was great to me.

5. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always hard to go down a rung on the ladder, but as a lowly Prem Exec, I can tell you that life will go on....and there's always "poor man's 1st class" - exit rows!

6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest perk of 1k that I miss is the ability to free-willingly change flights with the free Same-Day confirm. I used to move flights around quite a bit due to meetings popping up, running late, or being canceled. Now I have to actually pay attention to my bookings and determine if it's cheaper for me to move my flight up 2 hours or hang out in the airport bar a little bit longer ;).

savydog and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is what you will miss most will have nothing to do with the actual flight(s) you take, but rather if something goes wonky with the weather, mechanicals and/or your schedule (flying standby).

For me, being a 1K has a lot more to do with the service I get before entering an aluminum tube.

UADomer08 likes this.
  8. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree! During a wonderful weather cancelation 1k's get auto-rebooked first. Depending on the route it could mean a delay difference between a couple hours as a 1k to a couple days as 2P.

9. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    A worthwhile goal I too emulate!

10. I certainly don't miss it.

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we flew Concorde JFK/LHR we got stuck in Heathrow due to a strike. When I saw that things were going sideways, I quickly booked a room at the LHR Hilton and backup flights on UA.

Surprisingly, BA actually send us a check for the complete cost of the hotel room and we had no BA status at all. They also rebooked all of our flights, although we actually had to call BA in LA to accomplish that. All of the phone lines in London were overwhelmed.

There were over 100,000 people affected by this strike and it felt like a war zone with thousands of people sleeping on the floors and police with what looked like machine guns patrolling the mezzanine. Fortunately, we were able to escape into the lounges both at LHR and at the Hilton.

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drank the coolaid in 2010, after being PremEx since 2000. 1k was a nice experience, one that I'll miss starting in March. The upgrades were nice, but the $ value of the cust appreciation certs was much higher than I was use to. [​IMG]

SC Flier likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    could not agree more!! The SWU's have become problematic at least compared to how easy they used to be (much cheaper W fares and almost always confirmed at time of booking), so yes indeed I agree with UADomer08's viewpoint of the biggest perk I'll miss with not being a 1k.

14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2011 will be the last year I earn 100,000 miles for 2012 so I will keep 1k status for that year. As I am getting older 72, I find that travel which I live for is starting to take a toll on me. I will have close to 800,000 miles with UA and I think I will start using them for business class bookings, but do not want to use UA, I would love to fly with some of the better foregin carriers to those destinations.

15. robliv

robliv Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow ... I'm obviously doing something wrong. I've been a 1K for 3 years in a row and 5 of the last 6. Have barely seen any benefit to it. I clear upgrade lists less than 50% of the time and frequently have at least 1 or 2 systemwides expire since I am unable to use them in 12 months despite flying internationally at least once per month. I have over 1 million United miles in the MP bank and struggle to use them as well since there is rarely availability. Even yesterday I called and asked about a mileage flight for my family of 4 in "June or July" ... no dice .... but they could give me 2 tickets and "allow me" to pay for the other 2. And on my last international flight from Singapore to Seattle there was evidently an "equipment change" a couple days before the flight and when I called the night before to check on my upgrade (of course, no dice) I was informed that I lost my seat and it would need to be assigned at the airport ... and that it was a full flight and only middle seats were left. So pretty much everyone else got assigned after the equipment change but not my lowly 1K seat? I had a nice seat booked for over 2 months, so I'm guessing a Global Services or United Exec wanted it and I got the shaft. Anyway, those are some pretty typical examples of United in my experience. But I do get plenty of emails from them saying how valuable I am to them and even just got an email thanking me for 25 years of MP membership. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for 25 years, and I'm obviously a moron!

seaflyguy and Punki like this.
  16. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will miss being CO plat, which expires 3/1. I will miss free changes to award tickets. My last award ticket I changed no less than 7 times.

17. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! Are you sure you don't have some sort a black mark on your profile? [​IMG]

Do you have to make a lot of last minute trips? Are you able to selecte your own flights or does someone else pick them for you?

18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    1P MM has been fine. I don't fly UA too much these days, and I make sure that when I do, I'm either already confirmed up front when booking, or on a flight where I don't care and the E+ is fine. You still have your baggage allowance when you need it worldwide, you have lounge access worldwide (outside of the US). Having an ok status whether you don't fly, or fly 99999 a year is nice.

Punki likes this.
  19. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I have been hoping.

Your strategy is pretty much the same as ours. If I can't find a flight in first, at this stage of the game, 99% of the time I don't even need to go.

20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    1PMM and AS MVPG is a good combo out west. It gets me pretty much I need the way both programs currently work (including their current respective partners). Until and if AS materially changes the partners, and UA changes the MM program (hopefully neither for the foreseeable future), the feng shui of my airline memberships are fine enough for someone who doesn't care to run for 1K.

It also makes me not "guilty" if I fly another airline, such as my VX trip to SEA in a couple weeks.

Punki likes this.
  21. robliv

robliv Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply Punki. I book my own flights and I usually book 2+ months in advance when possible, but rarely less than 1 month out. No black mark that I know of ... I actually have little communication with United and it takes a lot (too much??) to get me to complain. Although I am thinking about changing my allegiances ... while not many are much better, United flight attendants are just wretched. When I "dare" travel with my young kids, my wife and I are both treated like crap (and my kids are actually very well behaved ... we frequently get compliments after the flight from passengers around us).

I'm an American living in Singapore (moving back to Seattle this summer) and, by contrast, when I fly Singapore airlines, they treat families with young children like royalty. The flight attendants will ask if they can take my daughter to the back of the plane for a "tea party" and they bring out various games and toys to help entertain them. It's almost as if people with kids aren't the scum of the earth! Nice change from United. (sorry ... but this last flight really left me with a bad taste in my mouth ... after emailing to make my first complaint, they sent me some canned response with a $200 credit towards my next full fare flight ... too many conditions so just deleted it and got on with the rest of my life).

To answer your question, my folks were both Global Services on United and since retirement they are the million miler Premier Exec status (dad just passed 2 million on his last United flight ... zero fanfare). Aside from losing the 6 annual systemwide upgrades, they find zero difference between this new status and 1K.

22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We won't miss the SWUs as we will be flying on first class award tickets from now on out. Actually that is pretty neat as it gives us a lot broader choice of airlines--of course we have to plan farther ahead for most international trips.

I just don't understand why you don't get more upgrades. Honeslty, I have never not been upgraded on an international flight, ever in my life. Of course, it is much harder when traveling with young children and you obviously can't split your records. Splitting our records works well for us as that way we can get upgraded one seat at a time, which is a lot more doable than 2 seats at a time.

Sorry they didn't do anything special for your Dad at the 2MM marked. When I hit 1MM they boarded a special bottle of real champagne, the captain figured the point where I would hit 1MM and then they poured the champagne, which I thought was pretty classy. They should have done twice as much for your father. ;)

I will pray for you to the upgrade gods. :)

seaflyguy likes this.
  23. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right. Now days AS seems to go pretty much everywhere we need to go domestically and I don't think they are done growing their routings.

It's funny. I was talking to my daughter today about how I originally thought that NW and AS was a good combo, but then in 1998 switched to UA so I could get upgrades on the PIP Express, and then realized how much smarter it was to have my miles split between the two alliances. Now I am thrilled that I did so as I can fly on either UA or AS partners pretty much anywhere in the world that I would ever want to go. :)

24. robliv

robliv Active Member

Status Points:
    That is pretty classy indeed. I'm at 850k now so will hit 1MM this year or next, but I'm not expecting anything. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll give me one of those elusive upgrades! You certainly have the midas touch when it comes to getting upgraded!

25. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow, never missed an upgrade in 12 years? That is remarkable!