Will US EQM in Sept count towards AA EQM?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dtc, May 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of taking some US Airway flights in Sept. Does anyone know if these will count towards AA EQM in this year?

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not public information, no. Reasonable likelihood, but no certainty.

JetsettingEric likes this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends when the programs are officially merged. Other such mergers have blended EQMs to ascertain the member's status for the first year of the merged program. However, if the US program is not merged into AAdvantage until after March 1st 2014, then only those EQMs earned that year would qualify. However, company officials are quite aware of the implications and importance of standardizing things by the start of the 2014 benefit year on March 1st. Like the UA program, it is likely we will see a new AA tier at 75K to accommodate US's current tier (so as not to alienate its elites who achieved this status level), as well as changes to the elite upgrade program (US has unrestricted UDU for all elites, AA just for ExecPlats). If you're planning US (and other STAR member) flights obviously it makes sense to open a US account in any case rather than a UA/MP one (unless you want to have a foot in the STAR camp should the merger changes not be to your liking).

Jenny & Curt and Sean Colahan like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many people will tell you what they think, but to answer your question directly, nobody here knows. If you bank miles on US hoping for EQM, you should only do so if you can accept the fact that you likely will end up receiving none. The likelihood of you getting RDM somewhere down the road as US and AA merger programs at an unspecified date is much better though. ;)

MSYgirl, John777 and edekba like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    All that said and being a betting man I am willing to wager that it aint gonna happen by Sept unless you mean Sept 2014:)

6. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone.

I did some further checking and realized that this US Airways route would take over 24 hours to get to my destination anyway - so this really wasn't going to happen.

Man, going to IST from SFO on OneWorld at a reasonable time is freakin' hard.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much boils down to BA/IB anywhere in Europe since Finnair and Air Berlin have such limited networks. TK is undercutting everyone else's fares from NAmerica to IST (and much of Europe and Asia) so makes it less viable for competitors to fly to/from IST. That's one of the reasons I keep a foot in each alliance, but I know not many fly enough to hold twin top tier status this way.

8. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that it is highly unlikely that the programs will be merged until 2015.

Linked in 2014? Yes.
    Merged in 2014? No.
    Standardized in 2014? Maybe, depending on what that means.

Any comment about a new tier, either 75K/125K or UDUs is nothing more than a guess at this point. Fun speculation, but nothing more.

flyforawg likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call and ask about RJ and/or EK (codeshare). It's easy to forget RJ is in OneWorld and that AA has EQM-earning codeshares with EK as well as Gulf Air (Oman?). Speaking of, El Al might be a possibility too.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speculation yes, but these two major differences between the programs (and throw in SWUs) must be addressed and rationalized in the final makeover of AAdvantage without alienating too many elites from each side of the merger. And seeing how DL/NW and UA/CO handled similar matters, some speculation is more rational than others. BTW the 75K elite tier is now pretty much an established feature of the major NAmerican FF programs today, with the exception of AAdvantage. AC adopted it this year, MP introduced it based on CO's having this as its top tier. Also the numbers of merged elites grouped under 100K but over 50K became so large with the combined programs that a distinction was deemed practical (and also accommodating of the partner that had already adopted this tier).

11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some/many elites are going to be alienated. The only question is to what magnitude. As to how "rational" your speculation is, it is if you say it is, I guess.

You seem to believe that the new AA will follow the other programs, my guess it that it will be more unique. With fewer competitors and more members, the AAdvantage value proposition can and, to my mind, will be changed. I'll leave it to you to speculate if it will get richer for mid elites. I know which way I'm betting.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly (and purely anecdotally) I sat next to a very happy current AA PLT in the F cabin last night DFW-FLL. She'd just done MIA-LAX and her upgrade cleared (777 so lots of space), and her SDG-DFW and DFW-FLL legs had cleared as well... as a PLT.

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    They may or may not count soon enough for you. Until there is an official announcement, it would be safer to accumulate in the rpogram you are interested in or ahead in.