Will US & AA miles combine to calc 2014 status?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Global Explat, Dec 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just adding up where my current flying will get me to by year end if no changes:

88300 EQP with American
    14800 PQM with US Air

Is there any likelihood they combine these, thus getting me to EXP in 2014? Or am I going to have to consider a late AA mileage run ?

Anyone have experience on what happened after previous mergers closed?

Thanks

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's possible, but this late in the year I wouldn't chance it. The combination of US and AA miles would have bumped me to the next level, but I didn't want to leave it to chance and filled the remaining AA miles to be safe.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't bet on it.

Newscience and Global Explat like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My expectation would be that 2014 flying would be combined for 2015 status.

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with the (so far) overwhelming majority of opinion on this post - there's not enough time left in the year for this to occur. Clearly, US and AA are moving as fast as possible to merge their companies, but the combination of their 2013 rewards programs for 2014 is almost certainly in the "too hard to do" box. :(

FWIW, it's too bad that your mileage totals with AA and US weren't inverted. You could "buy up" to Chairmen's Preferred status at year's end to have that "magic" 100K total. At 88K US miles, it would cost $789, but with the merger on the immediate horizon, it could be a worthwhile consideration. ;)

BTW, a great article was written in the WSJ a week ago, describing the many difficulties of the merger, through the perspective of US Airways CEO Doug Parker. It can be seen here:
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304579404579232100811998912

jbcarioca, MSYgirl and Global Explat like this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope they do combine mileage balances or at least let flights on US count for rest of month, but think it is very doubtful that it will happen as others said.

Thanks for sharing the article. Hadnt seen it but love this part of Parker's article where he says

"The American team makes sure everything is really, really ready to go before they pull the trigger. We [LCC] have a bias for action with less preparation."

Maybe this last systems upgrade was AA attempting to switch to the LCC culture shift of more action with less preparation. :D

But in all honesty that doesn't make me feel good about the future. I think people in the aviation biz should measure thrice and cut once. Every time.

7. bhamsan01

bhamsan01 Active Member

Status Points:
    US flights can be credited to AA and vice versa starting tomorrow, per senior CS Agent I spoke to last week.

jbcarioca and Global Explat like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    AA has a similar program this year, though much more costly for EXP buy-up:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliterenewal.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=elite2014

Specifically for the OP, you need to be at 90K minimum to take advantage of the buy-up, which will cost you (gulp!) $1799.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be awesome - hope it pans out!

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the answer will be "no". But next year account EQM balances will be merged for 2015 status.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of mileage transfers, when are we all speculating we will be able to transfer our US miles to AA?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good question. I'm betting by March.

jbcarioca and Efilon87 like this.
  13. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I read this correctly, if I fly on US Air next month, I can have them credit it to my AA account? When I book, will AA Gold status get me anything on US Air?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reciprocal benefits. So whatever a 25K tier UA elite gets, you'll get on a US flight...which is likely not much except access to preferred seating areas. Upgrade benefits are not reciprocal yet though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

I was asking about AA, not UA. I will be flying US next month and I'd like to credit my AA account over my AE account.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    May just have been a typo in his part (AA v UA). I think he meant to say that US would recognize certain benefits of your AA status now, though not upgrade benefits.

Knowing some of the instability of the US IT, I wouldn't be surprised that crediting your January US flights to AA may require some follow-up on your part to make it happen.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Pizzaman. My flights aren't until the end of the month. From what I've been reading, Jan 7 seems like the day that things will change.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that while the miles will eventually combine, this won't happen right away. For now, you'll have to qualify on AA or US programs separately. You'll get a few (but not all) benefits of your status in the other program.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Global Explat and jbcarioca like this.