Will upgrade clear with insufficient stickers?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Aug 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying tomorrow and didn't want to buy more sticker upgrades unless my upgrade clears. Will I have to buy them before the upgrade clears just in case or will it clear with the caveat I have to pay for the upgrade stickers before I board?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that YOU need to have enough stickers to upgrade in the first place no?

3. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know id need them to fly but when does the purchase have to happen...

4. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ehh... I went ahead and just bought those two stickers just in case.

daninstl likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better safe then sorry. I think you made the right choice. Besides if it doesn't clear you can use them later anyway in which case you may have been short again.

6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been that your upgrade won't clear if your account doesn't show enough stickers at the time UGs are processed. It's been a few years since I've used stickers, though.

7. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. You need stickers otherwise it won't clear.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I was told by an agent when I requested upgrades that they would be provisionally processed since I didn't have enough stickers and then I'd buy to complete the transaction. I guess I need to call back and confirm. :oops:

ETA: Just called and was told I would be notified and then could buy the stickers. No idea if that's really the case, but this was the second agent to tell me that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had upgrades clear without having enough stickers in my account to cover them. You must purchase before you can fly. You can try and downgrade but it's only possible if your original inventory is still available.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    AFAIK, the process is still if you clear prior to check-in, you will be prompted at check-in to buy stickers. Once you check-in, a GA can boot you off the list if you don't have enough stickers. Not sure if they "should", but have multiple reports from folks who have had it happen.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless it's changed since my AA days, the upgrade will clear whether you have the "stickers" or not. You'll then be prompted to buy at check in. I've never tried this online....only checking in with an agent.

sheikkila02 likes this.
  12. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Confirm this is exactly what happens: the upgrade clears and you get a notice that you need more 500mi stickers, so buy them before you go. Not explained anywhere, but in practice your upgrade will clear without stickers, and it's up to you to have the requisite 500mi stickers before departure.

13. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another consideration is that if the upgrade clears, you no longer have a seat assignment in coach, so if you opt out of the upgrade you may have a middle seat in the back. The E 500's don't expire (tho might become worth nothing if AA shifts to complimentary upgrades).

There's also some price increase if the E500's are bought from a person. From aa.com:

Purchase MethodUpgrade Price1
    ( per 500-mile unit)
    Automated Purchase - AA.com or Self-Service Check-In machines*$30
    Agent-Assisted Purchase$35

I'd have enough instruments if requesting an upgrade.

14. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    The upgrades take two hours to be usable but won't show up on your account until the next calendar day.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/500mileUpgradesContent.jsp?from=Nav

HOWEVER, the following note applies:

** Note: In order to be added to the Airport Upgrade Standby List, you will need to have the required number of upgrades in your account at the time of check-in.

Soooooo for future reference if it gets to be 12 hours or so before your flight you might want to decide whether you really want the upgrade or not. If you call the relevant AAdvantage desk, they can cancel your upgrade if you have changed your mind and save the trouble of losing your seat assignment in the back and whatnot.

WilliamQ likes this.
  15. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't have enough, AA will charge you $30 per missing sticker.

16. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, as I stated above, I went ahead and bought the stickers. While my upgrade would not have cleared on my original flight, I had some delays, the put me on another flight from DFW - SEA and my upgrade cleared there. So I'm glad I had enough stickers.

flyforawg likes this.
  17. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    $35 at the airport? No?

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Mostly correct. $35 at the airport from an agent. $30 if you use a self-service terminal.