Will UA Reimburse 1Ks for Hotel Rooms If No Voucher is Given?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Mar 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stuck in a small United express outstation with they canceled flight due to wx. Agent spoke to his supervisor who said they can't issue hotel vouchers for 1Ks anymore. I know that's not true. Will United reimburse my hotel stay within reason if I email 1K voice the receipt? What about meals?

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No and no, and why is that reasonable?

3. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reasonable because had they issued me the voucher like they were supposed to, they would be paying it. I only expect them to reimburse me up to what their reimbursement rate is for hotels when vouchers are printed.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under EU rules, they would be required to provide accommodations and meals (within reason) even if the cancellation is due to weather (or volcanos, for that matter).

Pre-merger United used to do that for 1Ks. If they no longer do so, seems like yet another diminution in benefits. :(

hulagrrl210 and stephenbgarvan like this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something tells me United Express doesn't fly to a station that falls under EU rules. If UA isn't going to issue a voucher, there is no reason to expect UA to reimburse any costs reasonable or not.

6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see why UA should have ever given 1Ks hotel vouchers for WX issues. That seems excessive, and I'm saying this as a former sUA 1K.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's just a benefit, like any other, that has a certain cost. Don't think of it as compensation.

hulagrrl210 and Counsellor like this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K I have received a hotel voucher in situations where it was WX. I cannot recall whether I've ever been denied, but I do know that at least once the voucher referenced an international flight, on which I was not booked, since I was on a domestic trip. So it could be that the way the agents took care of a 1K with a WX overnight was to account for it by charging an international flight.

But in my experience it is far more difficult to get any airline to reimburse an expense after the fact, than it is to get a voucher beforehand, and generally rather than a reimbursement, you are more likely to get a goodwill offer (like miles or dollars off a future flight.)

If you are in this situation in the future, you could try to call the 1K line, perhaps asking for a supervisor, if you cannot get the airport agent to help you. But if it's truly WX, you are really at their mercy - it's a goodwill offer if they give you a hotel voucher, it's not a promised benefit.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rates the airline pays for these rooms would be much less than the price an individual passenger would have to pay.

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Customer relations?

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree if it's MX. But WX isn't the airline's fault. In my mind a WX delay is just a risk of travel. You can abate this risk yourself by buying insurance.

12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't a question of "fault" -- as HaveMilesWillTravel said in post 7 above, it's a benefit for a good customer, not compensation for failed service.

Northwest used to do something similar for its Platinums in case of WX, and gave the same benefit to Flying Blue Platinums because of its relationship with KLM. When I was Plat with Flying Blue and had to change planes in the upper Midwest during the winter, I'd usually try to book on Northwest just for that protection; similarly, when I was 1K with United I had no qualms flying through ORD during snow season.

So, it's the sort of benefit that can pay off for the airline in added business as well as in good will.

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether it's WX is often a matter of interpretation. For example, if there's flow control into a hub, the airline will often punish the UX flights, so that's under the airline's control. Or say you are flying SEA-SFO-OGG, but the aircraft that's too perform SEA-SFO is coming from ORD and is delayed at ORD by WX, so it arrives into SEA 2 hours late. The airline may categorize that as delayed due to WX, but the weather is fine in both SEA and SFO. Or the weather is bad and there's some delay in arriving at the connecting hub, but the flight departed late to start with due to late arrival of the inbound aircraft, is that WX? There are reasons to treat at least the elite pax right in situations like that.

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks back, I was in Atlanta and a storm passed through, bad weather lasted an hour or so total. Flight got delayed 4 hours before it got canceled long after the weather had passed. UA would not let me rebook on Delta who was flying about an hour and a half after my flight was supposed to leave. No hotel, not even a discount voucher. Lost my F seat when I got rebooked to the next day

1K voice gave me (you guessed it) bubcus.

My previous experience is exactly like Seacarl's but that has definitely changed..

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA always used to give WX vouchers for 1Ks and even Million Milers. I've never fallen into either of those categories myself but have been traveling with my dad when he did. Both times at SFO. I'm both surprised and disappointed to hear that they no longer do. It was a wonderful goodwill gesture and a fabulous benefit IMO.

stephenbgarvan and Counsellor like this.
  16. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    bupkes

goalie likes this.
  17. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there a SHARES code to tell the agent to get the room? I remember someone either here or on FT posting it (I think?)