Will UA match round 2 of AA's DEQM for SFO/LAX-DFW/ORD?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Geez, nice deal. Now I really need to get on that consulting project in the Bay Area! ;) That'd be like auto-1K right there for me.

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And into 2012 no less! C'mon UA, do what you do best and play follow the leader when the dAArkside does a nice promo

catgirl likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that still in response to VX?

Anyway, I hope UA matches. I could use a headstart to 1Kness next year and would even spend a bit of time visiting Chicago.

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe AA is doing this in response to VX.

And with some of the fares that I have seen between SFO-ORD, it would indeed be a nice way to makeup some extra miles to achieve that next level for either this year, or getting a jump on the 2013 qualification.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that UA is not going to match this. They have already made it clear that they do not feel like they need to do much to keep their sub-1K fliers.... or outright don't need them. I do not see how matching this promo would be consistent with that message... unless they think that somehow, their 1K members would only select UA for this flight if they receive double EQMs.

7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I don't know if UA will match this one or not. On one side, UA usually always follows AA on DEQM's. On the other side we are right in the middle of the merger and think this would be a little too much right now.

But honestly, I neither live in Texas, California, or Chicago so I'm disqualified already so I don't give a damn one way or another :p

catgirl likes this.
  8. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll wait till monday/tuesday. I need about 9900 miles to get to platinum for next year, was going to do some sort of run out of ORD, but this would be a no brainer.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did match the previous DEQM promo that ended a couple months ago, and the situation was pretty much the same as today with regards to merger and UA's thinking of elites, I'd say.

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    If UA does the DEQM it will be for the same reason that AA is running the promo: a shot across the bow to VX and to retain passengers on their flights.

Benefiting a sub1K or someone's aspiration to have accelerated mileage runs will only be a by product.

catgirl, IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would disagree. A promotion that is a shot at competition from VX across all customers would primarily be via price. This is what AA and UA have done as their prices are very much in line with VX if not lower in some cases.

A promotion that is a shot at competition from VX focused on frequent fliers would be executed through an elite qualification promotion. If UA believes that they have truly just created the best in class elite program (especially from the perspective of 1K fliers) UA should believe that their elite customers will not leave for another airline due to the strength in their program. 1K fliers are so interested in keeping their status, they will stay and not throw away any miles on other carriers at the risk of coming up short on their status. It seems unlikely that much revenue would be lost in this segment.

Then you have the sub-1K flier who might be at risk. You could say that a platinum may not leave for the same reasons as a 1K because they receive almost the same benefits of a 1K except for a few items.... but may still want to leave because the DEQM's are all they need to become ExecPlat on AA which they might value higher than being Plat on UA. Possibly some small percentage of revenue loss here but perhaps not that significant.

Then you get to the UA Golds and Silvers whom most would agree are not happy with the 2012 MP program. Other than those who physically must have the E+ legroom, most would probably leave UA in a second if they could double up on their status by flying AA. This is the segment of elite travelers where the revenue loss could be the most significant. But UA clearly has decreased the rewards to this segment which indicates that they either do not value these customers very much... or they believe that their product is truly different where they won't lose these customers anyway.

Under the above rationale, does it make sense for UA to match AA's promotion? I'd like to hear your perspectives and where there are holes in my logic.

Infinite1K likes this.
  12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed analysis.

I would agree with you if the DEQM was across the board.

However this is a very targeted set of routes where VX just happened to have entered recently.

In anycase time will tell whose hypothesis gets born out.

13. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would be great especially if it allowed onward connections. AFAIK, UA's promotions typically don't while AA's do.

14. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better than nothing, but not an exact match due to the more limited dates and restricted fares (W and above).

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Disappointment abounds.

17. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and also just ORD, not DFW.