Will there be CC spend waivers in 2015?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 8MiHi, Jul 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Presidential Plus PQD waiver will allow me to be Platinum in 2015. So far I see nothing in print indicating that any of the CC waivers will continue into 2015 for 2016 status. I have read the 'benefits' page of all the UA branded CCs and see nothing on any PQD waivers past 2014. Is there anything out there on this that I have missed?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen any updates on the topic, but it's also a tad too early for these sorts of things to be released, me thinks.

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As August approaches i feel it isn't that far from being released, although I feel this is a minor announcement so much shorter timer period would be acceptable. I think if anything next yer will be the year for them to discontinue if anything, as then UA will have time to run the analytics of how many qualified due to spend and other measurements.

8MiHi and MyMiles&Points like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is early, but with all of the releases on the new MP program I thought there might be something I missed.
    Perhaps this might be a negotiated item with Chase.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect it soon, if it is to come, and have been looking for it for a while now.

In my case, the Chase card is not the grandfathered Presidential one, so to get a waiver this time around I needed $25K spend, but did so, have more than 75K PQMs, and I have my Premier Platinum card showing valid through 1/16. I would love to do this again for the following year, but UA was very careful to phrase this waiver as for one year only when they announced it in 2013. So if they choose not to post anything at all, that means it goes away with no announcement, and that worries me. It would be perfectly legal on their part, though. Ugh.

8MiHi likes this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because promises were made by PMCO regarding the Presidential Plus card I think their may be some hope for 2016. I will also have significant 'non-expiring' (pre-2012) FPQMs. If they do stop the waivers for 2016, I will have only a small chance of staying Platinum. Gold should actually be better with the washing out of other budget Premiers, but I like BG 1.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see the CC waivers going away any time soon. It isn't because $misek wouldn't like to try to milk more value out of more of his remaining regular customers, but rather because I think that Chase would be forced to devalue the miles they buy from UA, thus hurting both companies.

Chase has enough problems right now in the PR world, and if this were to happen this year, the timing would be particularly ugly. In other words, they would scream bloody murder and have a major bargaining chip the next time they negotiate their contract.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    What PR problems does Chase have?

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping that you are right about UA retaining the waivers. I really enjoy Platinum. With the waiver and an occasional assist from my stash of FPQMs I should be able to get there for the foreseeable future.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conservatives are outraged at Chase's alleged invasion of employees' privacy. You can read about it here.

11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fat fingers. Can't delete post on phone. :(

8MiHi likes this.
  12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    When are conservatives (and liberals for that matter) not "outraged"? There is always something to get all torqued up over....just read this website for example ;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    bigx0 likes this.
  13. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    I was under the understanding that the dollar amount was for mileage earning, that premier status qualifying will still be based on the miles flown. Is this wrong?

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    For US residents: You need both for status: you need to pass a certain mileage (or segment) threshold and spend a certain minimum dollar amount on airfare (and E+ purchases). For status up to Platinum you can skip the dollar part if you spend $25k on UA Chase cards.

15. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or simply have the old Presidential Plus card which flat-out waives the PQD requirement (up to Platinum) in 2014.

Sadly all this remains useless for keeping 1K. :(

IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  16. Morris

Morris Active Member

Status Points:
    I just read this, and as far as I can see, it says PQM is based on distance, it says nothing about revenue. I have the Presidential card, so I am covered anyway, but I just wanted to understand the
    new rules:
    http://mileageplusupdates.com/

17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy Tweetwaiver, Batman! I'm not all that surprised they've decided to extend the PQD waiver another year, but I am quite surprised I am finding this out by a reply to a Tweet rather than seeing it on the website! Anyway, I take this as good news. Hope it is true! As instructed in their Tweet I called the 800-number and the operator said she saw nothing definitive for 2015, but finally let me listen to "Rhapsody in Blue" for a while on hold, then came back and said she thought "we could pretty well assume" the waiver would be available next year, for Silver, Gold and Platinum only, still requiring a $25K Chase spend, still requiring at least 4 UA segments, still requiring 25,000, 50,000 or 75,000 PQMs, and please keep checking the rules because anything can change in a heartbeat. I wish she had been more formal about it, but still I am encouraged. It did take the Twitter team most of the business day to reply, so that tells me they actually did take some time to ask somebody. 2015waiver.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks and good work. Hope it's true. Doubly hope the Presidential Plus waivers remain as well.

19. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Would be nice...makes those Flex Eqm's usefull. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

8MiHi likes this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stepped up one Elite level three times since I got this card. I expect to need them for 2016 if the waivers still work. Even if it changes to a required spend, I can deal with that.

21. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta just announced an increase in their dollar spend requirements for each level (now $3000, $6000, $9000 and $12000 for each elite level) but maintained the $25K CC waiver for '16. Combine this with your detective work and it sounds good so far.

22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your sources were right! They just announced the increase in PQD requirements and extended the CC waivers for another year:

Waiver for PQD requirement

• In 2014 and 2015, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
      • You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during that calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.
        OR
      • You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card.1
    • The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K qualification.
    • If you use a military or diplomatic address (APO, DPO or FPO), you are exempt from the PQD requirement for all Premier levels, including Premier 1K.

kansaskeith likes this.
  23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a proud owner of a UAL "platinum" chase card - with a 500 USD$ limit. I never have to worry about limits.

Flyer1976 and 8MiHi like this.