Will the destruction of public trust be the airlines undoing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ahappyelite, Aug 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    The path to mega profit was clear. Competition would be halted, leaving a handful of airlines to provide public transit for a third of a billion people. The airlines would then be free to collude, confederate and agree to constrict the number of available seats, thus restraining any pressure to give the cash strapped American public affordable air transit. The algorithim would be king, with no worries beyond this quarter’s profits. If a thousand people needed to go somewhere on Tuesday, and you impose collective restraints to provide 600 seats, well the sky was literally the limit. So confident were the airlines that people had no choice, that they declared war on even the highest paying passengers. In the wake of the appearance of new hedge fund and private equity-owned airline CEO’s every step was taken to degrade the air experience, jam more seats in, rip out toilets, always, always giving less for more. Loyalty programs were destroyed, all hopes placed on a constant passenger churn in a continental nation that must fly. So what the boarding process takes forever, passengers fight for seats and flight attendants function as bouncers on packed planes, throwing people out of seats they haven’t purchased even if they are the highest spenders. When you give your credit card over to the airlines, they will take the money and you almost surely will never see it again no matter what-no waivers, no favors. Travellers have to lay down their money a third of a year in advance tlo take a flight that might be grievously late or might not even take off-if it does they are seated on a dangerously packed plane, yearning to get off even on a 45 minute flight before some body part sustains a permanent injury. A request to fly even 45 minutes earlier requires passengers to pay-while airline misconnects, cancellations and seven hour delays are blamed on the government, ATC, extra terrestrials-anything but them Now the WSJ is reporting (see August 20th) that even with $40 a barrel of oil, the air industry might still go down the tubes. Why? Well, when you are completely untrustworthy, when you have treated your passengers with staggering comtempt and brutality, when you have deliberately engineered travel as ordeal, it now seems that millions of Americans are and will increasingly continue to pass on the abominable rip off that American air travel has become.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh no not again.:rolleyes:

We be happy with indentation.:)

8MiHi, satman40, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talk about an unhappy elite! :(

8MiHi, Counsellor, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are all regulated by supply and demand,

If we demand it we need to pay for it, regretfully man cannot afford everything he wants, when he wants it .

I find in life ultimately time is the most precious commodity, and yet the supply is limited,

Americans who work have far more money than they need, and end up wasting most of their time .

Newscience likes this.
  5. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be happy to take any of that money that you don't need, let me know I'll send you my paypal details.

Awesome ! Found something on Milepoint not tainted with snark I can actually USE. Thanks sat.

satman40 likes this.
  6. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if I ever trusted the airlines or the banks or my congressman to be looking out for me. So, what public trust are we talking about?

jonspencer and satman40 like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With have many small planes leaving many times during the day half empty.

Other countries will fly the same number people couple of times a day using much larger planes.

As for banks they will loan about anyone a buck, many do not even pay them back.

Your Congressman writes laws to make the bank loan money to people who do not always pay them back.

I trust the laws of supply and demand, profit and performance, when I invest.

Many an airline has bit the dust, try to please the regulators and the public.

Please understand my fist 50 years, I borrowed every dime any bank would loan me, at 70 plus we still apply for over 10 CC a year....God I Love the Banks...OPM..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a heads up...TODAY ALL THE AIRLINE STOCKS will be ON SALE,so for the next few days you can become real owners of the Airlines with some skin in the game.

THEY GO UP, THEY GO DIWN...

Enjoy the airplane ride..

Customers want a discount, and Employees want a raise....

8MiHi likes this.
  9. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lot of truth to ahappyelite's post.A bit on the dramatic side but still much truth
    I work hard escaping as many of those planes you describe and the greediest of airlines
    unless they offer a value proposition and experience I am willing to pay for
    It getting rough out there but it can be done in select markets depending where you travel and your objectives
    But what else can we do now?Except see if they eventually kill the golden goose off forever where it did exist?

satman40 and jonspencer like this.
  10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    these are the most lucid comments by the original poster yet :eek: he must be laying off the Red Bull

I agree with most of his comments and absolutely dread flying on any US-based airline :mad:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Newscience, satman40 and Slow_Mustang like this.
  11. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes....yes..... indeed! Although you neglected to mention two key facts.

1. That the dismal path was blazed by the airline whose contempt for customers - and especially, their own elites - knows no bottom....and whose motto, indeed, their entire corporate borg, reminds us - them - that they are:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

2. But... the remedy is at hand.

Support, lobby for and vote Open Skies and thereby encourage, patronize, companies like not only the ME3 but AM and AV and FR to offer us quality or at least in the case of FR, reasonably priced, service from JFK to LAX or SEA to IAD or even IAH to DEN.

8MiHi and satman40 like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A four-year investigation has concluded that officials of the solar company Solyndra misrepresented facts and omitted key information in their efforts to get a $535 million loan guarantee from the federal government.

I am for investing in the airlines, and keeping the government out of private industry..

I guess if you donate enough money anything is possible,

When NAFTA was signed 17 Kraft plants moved to
    Mexico that same day,

Be careful what you wish for, many jobs are on the line..but then who needs a pipe line, and the jobs it might produce

Anyone can drive from SFO to JFK in 3 days, if you want service be willing to pay for it, walking is not crowded...:D

13. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    ONCE again, are any of the grand social experiment MACRO economic issues actually going to result in a single dollar in my , my wife's or either of my children pockets.?

THEN Thanks but no thanks grand seer of the S&L Loan Scandal generation, you remember Abscam, or was it the host of TV evangelists?

You identify yourself by age group. Child of the 60's ... Probably at one point stole your father's chevy and yet you're on here preaching fiscal responsibility blah blah blah .

Great you own STOCK. You're an Unsecured interest. Verstehen Sie Das? So that means if certain parties decide to chapter you don't even get paid.

I love people who get on here blasting all their wisdom only to understand that they missed basic lessons way back when.

Nobody cares about the sage fiscal advice of an ex hippie lol

14. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and "f" the shareholders. If what you want is a country where a select few get to decide which businesses are allowed to operate in which markets and only the "selected" are entitled to revenue.

Try Nazi Germany. The Market should be Open and competitive. Simple as that.

And in all fairness, I'm not against the powers that be. I believe that what airlines have been doing lately is reorganizing in an attempt to remain competitive. Only problem is that part of that reorganization involves a certain xenophobic twinge.

Their attitude should be. We'll take on all comers. We do this better than anybody else. Come see. But alas , not my business.

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    9/10 have few seats IND-DCA $79 RT, AA..Taking some workers and thei gran kids for a day trip ...cheap trips PR for the Airlines, form of advertising..

This old Hippie employees many people, they all care, every paycheck,,every bonus. I have seen their kids grow up,and know their names .

My father was killed in WW11, so nothing to steal. $42.33 from the Government, PL 634.

Sorry life was not kind to everyone,

This old hippy at 75 is in the top 1% even retired, because he cares, and invested for the future,

Counsellor and jonspencer like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try Nazi Germany. The Market should be Open and competitive. Simple as that.

Hitler hated the Jews, because they controlled the markets, and their world., he tried to take it to the other extremist.

Even today the Fighting Religion kills and robs the population of the world, in the name of good and evil..

Best to stay in the middle ground, and not be noticed,

17. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    AND THIS OLD HIPPY Is exactly the problem with the United States today because you think you're entitled to something because in 1995 you wrote somebody's paycheck.

Move along old man. The memory care residence is awaiting your well organized pleadings.

18. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    NO Best to stand up for what is right and kick the living daylights out of anybody that gets in the way. Something that was lost on your generation because you were too busy being mad at your dad.

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 2015 I still write pay checks,

Did not even know my dad, he was killed in the war, I do remember the casket lieing there, and the visitors.

Yes, many thing were lost with my generation.

The world has changed.
    I have never seen so many people with their hands out,

In the National Parks the sign say Do Not Feed The Animals, they will become dependent on it and Starve,

Counsellor likes this.
  20. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop with your nonsense. I'm actually trying to get you to see this.

Nobody's listening.

You're not "feeding" anybody. You're just lost in your own Fievel's tale of what you believe to be presently your American Adventure.

Enjoy your travel. Stop acting like you're involved in the fiscal issues.

Btw, nobody's forgotten any of it. We simply recognize it for what it is and move on. Something you should be doing.

21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So.. the vitriol and hate normally found on FT has finally reached MP some of it being posted by a person who actually claimed that this board was snarky:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  22. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry son, you have no idea what you're actually dealing with here. In these sort of cases, it's best to leave it to the professionals.

lol i'm not hateful at all. Don't have a hateful bone in my body.

A bit foolish for reacting to the coot but other than that... it's all incense and peppermints. Off to do my dailies.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to buy some Louis Black tickets for an upcoming show when I came across this thread. I guess I saved a few bucks!

Keep going!

24. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the troll-guard was let down for a moment back in 2014.

I'm still of the belief that the best way to handle trolls is to not feed them. Usually they get bored and wander off.

25. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.