Will Prices to Hawaii drop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Copied from here)
    Is the Price ceiling falling or is it just the entry of LCC into the Hawaii market? It’s both! Yesterday Allegiant Air announced they are going to start flying from Fresno, Ca and Las Vegas, NV! This is the first time a LCC has entered the Hawaii market since both ATA and Aloha Airlines filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Furthermore there’s some Hints that SWA might be flying to Hawaii as well!

[​IMG]

Allegiant Air is going to fly newly acquired 757s with 217 economy seats in a single configuration. If this is anything like Finn air’s single configuration 757-200 you can expect a bone crunching 29”-30” pitch! So theses long haul flights will neither comfortable nor fun. If you’re not looking forward to being crammed into your seat, then also know that at this time Allegiant has not stated if they plan on offering any inflight entertainment options, and I’d be shocked if you find power on board. So pack your Gameboys, Ipads, books, and more for you’re going to need something to distract you on this 5-6 hour jaunt and no, running up and down the aisles is not a new sport!

The initial launch from Vegas will be June 30 and flights will depart Sin City to the Tropical Paradise of Waikiki every Wednesday, Friday and Sat and return from Honolulu to Vegas on Sundays, Wednesday, and Friday.

Depart Vegas: 8:30am arrive 11:50am
    Depart HNL: 1:10pm arrive 9:50pm

Flights will also Depart weekly to and from Fresno, leaving Fresno every Sunday, returning from Hawaii the following Saturday, so unless you plan on a weeklong Vacation look out for a different airline.

Depart Fresno: 9:10 am Arriva 11:55
    Depart HNL: 1:10pm Arrive 9:25pm

The SAME plane will connect all the cities. On Wednesday morning, the airplane will leave Vegas for Honolulu and will do a quick turn in the afternoon and head straight back to Vegas. The plane will do the same thing on Friday and Saturday, however on Saturday, the 757 will go to Honolulu at the same time, but then the afternoon it will return to Fresno instead of Vegas. Sunday morning, it flies back to Honolulu and in the evening it returns to it's Home in Vegas. The Inside turn will allow the crews to be based in Allegient's home base of Vegas.

Allegiant is offering introductory fares for as low as $174 each way or $348 round trip. But remember Allegiant air is as unbundled as the airlines come and will charge you an additional $35 per checked bag and between $10 and $35 for a carry on! To see a complete list of Allegiant fees click here. Even with all the add-ons fares on Allegiant are MUCH lower than the legacy carriers. Competitor’s nonstop tickets in June and July are currently priced at $495 from Vegas, where as one stop service from Fresno starts as low $856! This low prices are a true DoubleWide Delight!

[​IMG]

In other news SWA received their first ETOPS B737-800s in March and this morning and 2 B737-800s planes took off this morning. 8302F aka Orca left BWI at 7am EST on its maiden flight to Fort Myers, Fl while the other, 8301 dubbed Warrior One, departed Chicago Midway for Fort Lauderdale, Fl. The ETOPS certified plane carries an additional 38 more passengers. SWA will receive an additional 33 of these planes in 2012 and 41 in 2013! With 74 of these ETOPS B737-800 SWA will soon be eyeing Caribbean and Hawaiian routes! SWA CEO already stated in 2010 that current plan is to take the 20 aircraft in 180-minute ETOPs configuration. The aircraft "would bring us to more distant markets like Hawaii, Cancun, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda," he said. So Hawaii travelers watch out, If SWA also enters this market, Fares shall start falling! Another DoubleWide Delight!

[​IMG]

viguera likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely...avoid....that can be a long time with very little pitch!

;)

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... I know people do it, but I wouldn't want to do it in the back of the bus today, let alone cramped in one of their planes. It's a terrible way to start/end a vacation, IMO.

But competition will always breed lower fares, if nothing else because of the increased capacity. Joe Sixpack doesn't care about pitch, he cares that this flight is listed on Expedia (or wherever he shops) for $400 right next to a $600-650 flight from AA or United, so to him the choice is easy.

But in the end it's the same as the Spirit flights to FLL from JFK. You can head down there comfortably on Jetblue most of the time for about $40-50 more than Spirit without having to fly on a Tuesday in a seat that makes the bathroom look spacious, but some people don't care about that and just care about the overall hit on their wallet.

cvsara, javacodeguy and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And their experience will be followed by a rant on FB or a news site that airlines "just are not the way they used to be..." charging for bags, zero leg room, too much reclining by the pax in front of them, charging for OH bins, etc.

:)

cwpfly, wrxmom and viguera like this.
  5. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Only thing about Allegiant is you won't find their fares ANYWHERE except on their website! You won't even see their frequencies show up on websites like KAYAK (SWA allows frequencies to be displayed but not prices)!

But I agree, prices bring down fare prices, but I'll pay a bit more for comfort! Especially on a 5-6 hour flight!

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another entrant in the race to the bottom.

For those who frequently fly this route, it's not even under consideration.

Flyer1976 and desamo like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prices to Hawaii for June and July are currently insane.

8. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaiian Airlines is running a sale right now with west coast fares as low as $318 if you are willing to be flexible with your travel dates:

"Check out our latest low fares to Oakland, Phoenix, Sacramento,
    San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose and book your next flight
    on Hawaiian Airlines today!
    Fly with us and experience Hawaiian hospitality on the airline recognized
    for service, on-time performance, and overall airline quality.
    Relax in the quiet comfort of a spacious, widebody plane, where you’re
    never more than one seat from an aisle. Be treated to a complimentary
    or upgraded meal from our menu curated by acclaimed Chef
    Chai Chaowasaree.
    Special 36-hour sale for roundtrip fares to the West Coast starting from $318!*
    Booking Period:
    Now – April 12, 2012
    Travel Period:
    Now – May 24, 2012"

Source:
    http://www.hawaiianair.com/hawaii-travel-deals/

wrxmom likes this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, the memorial is when the memorial is. I know it's shoulder season there now, though. I usually go to Hawaii in off-peak times.

10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, am glad to see the 'lowball' carriers enter the HI market. I fly to OGG 3 and 4 times a year from the midwest (PIA) where Allegent has a strong presence, especially from PIA - LAS. The line for that early morning flight is always long. I haven't ever flown one of their 'sardine' cans, (UA & AA) , so maybe the costs from PIA will also dip, even though I dread going through HNL. But I can tell you, those persons in that long Allegent line only care about one thing, and it isn't comfort.

viguera likes this.
  11. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. My brother-in-law asked me to check for him and I almost fell out of my chair. Over $900 to LIH from LAX in June. I have never seen that! :eek:

viguera likes this.
  12. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Almost every city you listed Hawaiian is in a fare war with Alaska Airlines! Very interesting to see what happens here

wrxmom and HiIslands like this.
  13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday American was matching prices.