Will New DOT Reg Impact Ability to Refund Tix Within 24 Hours?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've made extensive use of the ability to refund tickets within 24 hrs on United (and I think) CO. Now, with the DOT requiring a 24 hour fare lock on reservations, will UA /CO take away the 24 hour refundability?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, UA originally used to offer a 24 hour fare lock, which they then replaced with the more restrictive 24 hour refundability. So this is a return to the old system. I don't expect UA to offer an additional 24 hour refund period after the fare lock (though they may just allow 24 hours total, e.g., you get 24 hours to pay, but if you pay in 12 hours, you have another 12 hours to refund). Or they could offer the 24 hour hold to everyone as required and then give elites an extra 24 hours to refund.

Personally I would rather keep the fare on hold for 24 hours and pay later than pay now and wait for a refund.

avflyer likes this.
  3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    What new DOT regulation? I looked back over the past week+ and don't see anything new published in the CFR.

As far as I know, the current rule is either 24 hour hold OR 24 hour free refund and most of the airlines seem to prefer the refund option.

Do you have a link to the change?

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little difficult to paste a lengthy URL using my mobile right now. Check out Airlines and Destinations.

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the new regulations will hurt UA passengers where it is a total 24 hour benefit for ticket and award purchases. Given the new ruling, they can now be more selective and point to the new reg and say its all their fault, we're just following their guidelines.

I wish they would focus on the hell of TSA and stop playing around with the other aspects of the customer experience. Let those fall out via normal supply/demand economics and not get forced as they are trying to do.

avflyer likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the 24 hour refundability over a 24 hour hold feature because I'm afraid I'll forget to call back or return to the computer to complete the purchase. Also, it takes more time to do it in two steps.

avflyer likes this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay I looked and don't see how it would require a change for UA.

Here is the actual CFR text from 14 CFR section 259.5(b)(4) as published today:
    Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight’s departure;

The "or cancelled without penalty" language should mean that the current UA policy is still acceptable unless that is contradicted somewhere else in the rule. I don't have time to read the whole thing right now but will go through it later and see if there's something I'm missing.

Scottrick, avflyer and sunseeker like this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, for various reasons I prefer refundability as well. I was about to get all in your face about the "without payment" clause but then "OR without penalty", means you are most certainly correct, UA / CO will not have to make a change, and in fact will have to continue on with the policy. I don't see them changing to a hold only no deposit deal.

It's a beautiful thing.

Thanks MT for clearing that up!

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not soo fast, ua can now decide to disallow tickets purchased within a week if the trip from the 24hr rule.

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone went out and did some actual research. :cool: I didn't notice this two-part option in any of the articles I read.