Will my upgrade stick?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Brooklyn Bum, Aug 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brief question. I'm a bit of a MP n00b, but pretty well versed in OP.

I called the 1K desk about transferring over my CO CR1s for a p.s. flight. The CR1s hadn't actually posted yet (a story for another day), but they confirmed the upgrade on the phone anyway.

My reservation shows the upgrade as "Confirmed" and I selected a seat, but I haven't actually backed it with anything yet because by the time the CR1s posted the integration desk closed for the weekend.

So, did I find a loophole or am I going to be flying in Y?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    When is the flight? My guess is that your reservation is confirmed in the upgraded class of service. The outstanding question is whether you get a free upgrade or whether you need to ultimately 'back it' with something.

Here is what I would do:

1) Keep watch on your reservation
    2) Check in online 24 hours in advance. If you get a boarding pass, great, you're good. If not you have time to solve things.
    3) What could happen is that you have the reservation but because it's not supported you won't be able to check in online and will need some help.
    4) For that reason, calling 24 hours in advance is helpful as you'd need to transfer over a CR1 and then get it applied.

Others disagree?

Chimpy likes this.
  3. Brooklyn Bum

Status Points:
    Thanks. The flight is tomorrow afternoon.

I'll report back at 2 after I try and check in, but my guess is that it won't check in.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Tomorrow? Perfect. If it doesn't check in, it's not a problem, it just means they need to support the upgrade in which case you'll have to transfer the CR1 and then apply it. If you get checked in, you may have a free upgrade. :)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get a free upgrade, try to avoid interaction with agents and deal with the Kiosk primarily if possible.

Not that I advocate for stealing revenue from UA but this would have fell under UDU most likely...

Chimpy and Brooklyn Bum like this.
  6. Brooklyn Bum

Status Points:
    I wasn't planning on stealing but the CR1s on the CO side didn't post until Friday after many calls to the OP Service Center. By that time the 'integration desk' was gone for the weekend. I was surprised to see my segment as 'Confirmed' without the CR1 in my MP account. Also, it's a p.s. flight so as far as I can tell UDU doesnt apply.

:)

That all begin said I was unable to check in. The site tells me I need to see an agent at the airport.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, I alway expect to fly the class of service I pay for and on a p.s. Flight Y is actually pretty good and much better than a transcon in Y on CO metal.

(edited for typos)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't wait until the airport. Call and get this sorted out in advance.

8. Brooklyn Bum

Status Points:
    I called twice, but nobody at UA can check me in.

At this point my biggest concern isn't the upgrade, but that Y is oversold (both C and F are wide open) according to the 1K desk and I don't have a seat assignment in Y because the upgrade cleared. If the airport isn't able to sort things out I might not make the flight at all. :eek:

edit:

BTW, thanks for the help. So glad that I've migrated over to milepoint. :)

Chimpy likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry...if you're confirmed on the flight regardless...they might have to operationally upgrade you into C anyways...

chrislacey, goalie and Chimpy like this.
  10. Brooklyn Bum

Status Points:
    And this is exactly what happened. I couldn't check in until the upgrade was removed from my reservation. Y was 'way way way oversold' according to the agent and he gave me an op-up.

Flyer1976, goalie and chrislacey like this.
  11. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    Nice!