Will my flight take off ;) *SFO Storm of the Decade*

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ClarkyBoy, Dec 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So,
    I'm sure all the east-coasters will call all of us sissies for getting so nervous with rain/wind, but they ARE calling it the storm of the decade for San-Fran.

I have a 6AM SFO-EWR flight on a 757 with a very tight connection (1.15 hours) in EWR tomorrow - what would the weather need to be for it not to take off or get very delayed? seems like rain won't be that bad then but wind's can be 35 mpg with wind gusts up to 50.

Thoughts from the Air-Experts? :)

ClarkyBoy

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This likely doesn't help you, but according to The Weather Channel today, SFO has one of the worst records for weather-related delays in the US.

Dublin_rfk, ClarkyBoy and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously it's been raining here for 2 days and we had 40mph winds yesterday.

I just left downtown NYC and there were flurries everywhere.

Storm of the decade. Ugh.

:)

anileze, Newscience and ClarkyBoy like this.
  4. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - I'm just hoping that the fact it's a 6am flight means it will be a weather thing not a 100 delayed planes before us thing.
    *crossing fingers*

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, let's not go there! Ice storm first thing yesterday in CT, followed by a few inches of rain yesterday, non-stop rain all day today, now turned into snow tonight and tomorrow. The "storm of the decade" is nationwide! :(

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah ! It is what I consider wet flurries, at least in the Hell's Kitchen/Lincoln Center area.

Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same flight left on time this morning and arrived 15 minutes late. The plane will be spending the night @ SFO and 6am flights will be likely to get out mostly on time, save a ground stop due to severe winds.

Dublin_rfk, Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith and Newscience like this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Not exactly everywhere. Here in the desert southwest (including PHX and TUS, and probably ABQ and ELP. we are looking at highs in the 60s and 70s and lows in the 40's and 50s. But they are calling for 40% chance of rain on Saturday. 40% means usually about .2 inches of rain.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    House trade? I'll even show you how to use my snow blower and snow shovels! :p

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. That is why I moved to Tucson 25 years ago. Actually I moved south after getting out of college and have only been back during the winter ONCE in over 40 years.

anileze, kellio and Newscience like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy! But you'll have to admit that it's a bit warmer in Tucson in the summer months than it is here in New England! ;)

Mapsmith and anileze like this.
  13. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. You have to hope that a) the plane made it in tonight and b) there's no WX delay.

Possible WX delays: a) fog/low ceiling, b) crazy wind, c) crazy rain. And I'd probably say those three are in the correct order from most to least likely.

Fog or low ceiling (e.g. low visibility) will probably be the cause of any WX delays early on. You can take off in 30-knot winds, but it won't be fun. And I don't think the rain will be that heavy as to make it the sole concern, short of thunderstorms parked over the airport.

The same can happen at EWR this time of year (today was nasty), so SFO may not be to blame.

Having said all of that, if you're flying to EWR you're likely flying UA, so crew issues or MX may do you in anyway. :p

It may not be a bad idea to get protected on alternative routes or start thinking about SDC if they start posting departure delays; you probably don't want to deplane at EWR 45-60 minutes late (and depending on weather, they can make time up in the air). I can't speak to your schedule, but I believe UA has a weather waiver at SFO that waives the SDC fees if you feel it necessary.