Will Mileage run still be the norm ?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the new PQM added as part of the elite standard, I think mileage run will be out soon unless you do mileage run with high price which defeat the purpose of the run.

SuperKirby and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it won't.

Manufactured spend is the new mileage run. ;)

Sean Colahan, desamo, OY-JFS and 6 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

CVS run?

4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think you mean PQD.

5. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mileage runs could still be worthwhile for those willing to put $25k annually on a co-branded credit card since that gets you around the new revenue requirements.

6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only up to PP, no more 1K though. But yes, MRs are still here for UA as long as that waiver still hangs around.
    I really hope so, this my favorite MR of the MRs, but i'm afraid it won't last as long as we think =(

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    United seems determined to drive its elites to the dAArk side.

Was this really thought out? Are they going to lose many sales to people who are pretty sure they won't reach the PQD floors, even though they might come close, and so concentrate all their flights on other carriers?

And while "manufactured spend" may indeed become the new mileage run, how many current elites (and elite wannabes) are sophisticated in creating spend? And those who are sophisticated in the art are probably using it on credit card churn, and would have to cut back on that.

I'll say one thing -- I think the 1K population is gonna take quite a hit, because neither the regular mileage runs nor manufactured spend will suffice to get to that level. Was that the idea?

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that AA doesn't change their program in any way to make MR'ing counterproductive. They could do it pretty easily; switch qualification levels from EQM to EQP (cheap AA fare buckets only give .5 EQP per mile). "You want to requalify for EXP flying cheap Y fares to PVG in February that you upgrade to C with eVIPs? Sure! Just be prepared to fly 200,000 miles of them!"

The other thing UA's change does is it makes lifetime status nicer- ditch the rat race...

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me its sign up bonuses on new cards.

So far I've not seen much need to even consider wasting valuable time on mileage running. I could see how mileage running may help if you do a good bit – but not enough – business travel.

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. UA wants to drastically raise the profitability of the MP program and reduce the number of 1Ks. Perhaps they intend to use their GS infrastructure for them once the numbers drop.
    Legacy Mileage hacking will end January 1. If this works, I cannot imagine AA staying with the old program.

11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    True -- for now at least. :(

Fortunately I'm lifetime Gold on UA and Lifetime Platinum on AA. I may never again qualify for SWUs, but at least I'll be able to check two bags (unless they change that, too). :mad:

13. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

No. I've flown 36 segments YTD, with my planned travel through the end of the year I'll have 52 total. Had the PQD requirement counted this year, I would have met that (Gold) requirement about 5 segments ago. If the end of the year comes and I'm 8 segments short of Gold, will I book a couple 4 segment, <$200 mileage runs, absolutely.

Yes. You won't see people getting full status off of MRs, but MRs aren't going to disappear. Those of us that travel for business, especially any time the tickets are booked within a week or less, will likely have NO issue hitting the PQD requirement.

You will likely see LESS people doing mileage runs, but they aren't going to die all together by any means.

traveltoomuch and SuperKirby like this.
  14. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with revenue people will still be short miles, that's were the cheap fares come into play. I don't have the time, energy or credit to do manufactured spend on top of mileage runs.

SuperKirby likes this.
  15. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But you do have the time to sit in a metal tube with an Eskimo painted on it going BOS-SAN-MCO-SAN-HNL-SAN-BOS? ;)

CDKing and SuperKirby like this.
  16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A truly foolish move by the current UA bean counters. When they see the drop in revenue, profits, and loss of elites, perhaps they might wake up.

Counsellor and SuperKirby like this.
  17. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Yeah, no. It makes sense; this was discussed in the thread addressing the implementation of PQD.

Realistically, if you just do MR after MR to obtain status, you cost UA more than you bring in. These PQD thresholds should be relatively easy for frequent business travelers to meet. In my 36 segments YTD, I would have met the Gold PQD level weeks ago, and it's only June. I'll likely have somewhere in the order of 62-66 segments at year end.

Not to get into a "who deserves status" war, but these programs were intended to reward customers that are loyal to a given carrier or alliance and contribute to the bottom line. When I worked for DL back in the day, it was drilled into us during training, that the weekly business travelers are the ones that keep the airline alive. If you're booking cheap fares and MRing your way to status or tricking YQ's to get lower rates, then taking upgrades and using the clubs, you're costing money, not bringing it in.

18. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My reference is to the attack on elites whom buy fares and earn EQMS and elite status through regular travels. How do you deny a person whom earned 105,000 EQMS and bought $9500 in United tickets 1K status? I think the number of elites earning 1K status on $3000 in mileage run spending is really quite the exception to the rule. And United is really making a mistake if they think emulating SkyPesos is going to make them a great airline.

Counsellor and SuperKirby like this.
  19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Delta seems quite profitable, SkyPesos or no. They even give dividends to investors now.

8MiHi, LETTERBOY and SuperKirby like this.
  20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to be pedantic, but you would say "Congratulations on earning Gold Status". And, of course, there's nothing stopping the airline from extending the higher level status to someone who comes close to meeting both milestones and who they judge to be a deserving recipient.

desamo, 8MiHi, webdes03 and 2 others like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The same way they would deny me 1K status for next year if I earned 98,000 PQMs this year.

desamo, 8MiHi, webdes03 and 1 other person like this.
  22. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:

For the time being I'll just do 8 Friday- Sundays runs a year for MVPG

23. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Maybe I've been spoiled by expensed airfare all this years, but it doesn't seem that difficult to do $10k in spend on 100K+ miles, is it? There's going to be people that'll hate this change, and you can't please everyone. But to me, the requirements seem fair and very realistic.

And, if the end of the year rolls around and you're $500 short, then you do a MR at a slightly crappier rate (just as you would do before to meet PQM or PQS), if making that next tier of status is that important to you.

LETTERBOY and 8MiHi like this.
  24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a financial analyst I came to the conclusion that all FF plans should be looking to reduce the numbers and increase the profitability of their Elite members of their programs. I was convinced that they would raise the required miles for those without CCs. This effectively does that up to 1K.
    In my imaginings I have concluded that UA is going to improve 1K further and tie it to the GS program infrastructure, making them both even more aspirational as the numbers of flyers qualifying for 1K falls.
    I am also convinced that the addition of PQDs will clearly give evidence of how each elite level will add to the bottom line, making it easier for MP to justify its benefits.
    While I read many skeptical comments on the future of the program, this change could strengthen it and make the experience at every level better.

desamo and webdes03 like this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any suggestions what they might do to make 1K more aspirational?

8MiHi likes this.