Will Hyatt Introduce Points and Cash?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Explore, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now HHonors has jumped on the bandwagon, allowing members to redeem for award nights without forking out an arm and a leg. So HHonors, SPG, and IHG all offer this option.

All of a sudden, it's harder to earn Hyatt GP points unless you charge thousands of dollars on the Chase card. Should Hyatt offer a points and cash option? I say yes.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Choices are always welcome!

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    A cash and points option would be a welcome addition to Hyatt GoldPassport.

I noticed that all the hotel chains above seem to have added cash and points after having introduced a credit card that could acquire points (least it was true for HH and IHG....when did SPG cash/points become available?)

Lavaflow likes this.
  4. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that would be a great addition to the bennies! I'd also love to see the option of paying for suite upgrade on an award stay :)

bbbb and Lavaflow like this.
  5. giggy
    Original Member

giggy Silver Member

Status Points:
    seems like a good way to devalue Diamond status to me.......no thanks I really dont want to hear "sorry, no suite ug's avail, we sold them all for 59 bucks

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt a suite upgrade could be had for $59. Even now when the website asks me if I was interested in the eStandby upgrade, I usually see nothing less than $100. I certainly wouldn't mind paying ~150/night for an upgrade to a suite at some properties.

7. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love cash and points options at *wood and would be very happy to see Hyatt offer that choice!

8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would also vote "yes" to having a points & cash option.

That said, I've only taken advantage of this once with IHG (with points coming from their "Biggest Loser" "contest" (taking aim at Hilton members a couple of years ago).

Other notes: Hilton has had their credit card (at least the AMEX version) for a very long time - over 15 years in any event since I've had mine for that long or a little longer. I don't know how long SPG AMEX has been in existence.

I know that SPG points & cash stays do not earn points or stay credit - which makes it just about a non-starter for me unless I absolutely need to stay somewhere and don't have enough points for a straight award stay.

9. LoyaltyLobby
    Original Member

LoyaltyLobby Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if award stays are eligible for Nor1's. Wouldn't surprise me.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I have amassed a fair number (for me) of Starpoints over the year since they status-matched me from Hyatt Diamond, and I really have been liking the Points & Cash option. Of course, it works best when pricing anomalies exist, like LAX Westin being really expensive (as the points & cash option there is very reasonable.) For instance, I only need one more stay this year to maintain Platinum, and have an overnight at Sheraton LaGuardia East, so I am choosing to use 4000 pts. and $60 rather than all 10,000 Starpoints or more than $200 cash. Only if I use the cash will I get stay credit or points, so the other two options are just a matter of weighing what value the points have. For me, it's worth $60 to hold on to 6000 points for a potential "better" use.
    That LAX Westin I mentioned, for instance, is a good overnight at LAX, and is 4000 Starpoints or 1600 points and $30, but can sometimes be $150-199. So 1600 points would buy $120 to $169 worth of lodging. I'd rather do that twice than use all 4000 for one stay (which is still a darned good redemption value!)

11. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never actually used SPG C&P personally - but was told by SPG experts that C&P is not eligible for stay credit / points. Sounds like you lucked out on this YMMV issue.

12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I didn't say C&P earned stay credit or points, it's just this: A full award stay earns neither points nor stay credit either, and I like not having to put all of my points out at once when a nominal charge like $30 or $40 (kind of like a doctor's visit copayment) can allow me to stay at the same (or another) property multiple times from the same basket of points.
    I was not implying that my stay at Sheraton LaGuardia East would satisfy my Platinum requal, but merely that the urgency isn't there (it being only April and me being only one stay short) to have stays count towards status -- I am sure I can find somewhere to stay once before year-end, so I am thus compelled to look for alternatives to the more expensive properties that, nevertheless, have decent redemption values. It's the same calculus anyone would do for a paid stay vs an award stay, with a little bit more flexibility built in for the traveler.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd argue that there is nothing magical about C&P. You may simply get a better $$/points value. A hypothetical example:

Cash at property X: $200 (all in, to simplify math)

a) Cash & Points: $50 + 8,000 points --> points value is $150/8,000 = $0.01875
    b) Cash & Points: $100 + 10,000 points --> points value is $100/10,000 = $0.01

So depending on people's bank and points account balances, C&P in the a) scenario gives a better value for the points. Or, if you only have < 20,000 points total, it offers a way to use that for a partial award. Just gotta do the math. That's why I said the option would always be welcome.

14. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they do introduce C&P, there are two ways (that I know of) that chains work it: Priority Club charges you the cash upfront (and in dollars, at least for me), and gives you points for that money. If you cancel, you get the full points value of the stay back in your account. (which is a nice way to buy points but also means you lay out money in advance to "hold" C&P reservations and never get that money back.) SPG deducts the points portion from your account upon reservation, and then refunds it PDQ if you cancel. Then, if you do compete the stay, the property charges you the cash portion in their local currency. So, essentially, YMMV a bit on the SPG ones.

Kaanapali likes this.
  15. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they will eventually. Their CC is a relatively new program. Out less than a year even. I suspect at some point they will have more than just 1 CC option (probably all with the same issuer, but different "tiers" similar to Hilton, etc). There are a lot of different ways they can go, and I do hope they will add a C&P option down the line.