Will Elgin-O’Hare extension get you to O’Hare?

Discussion in 'ORD/MDW | Chicago Area Airports' started by sobore, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120102/news/701029960/

The big transportation story of the year is, of course, the Illinois tollway’s rate hike, which took effect Sunday. That is, until Metra eclipses the tollway with a fare increase coming at you Feb. 1.

Happy 2012. Maybe it’s time to rediscover Pace.

I recently talked to Illinois State Toll Highway Authority Executive Director Kristi Lafleur about what drivers will gain in exchange for the hit to our wallets.

The agency is nearly doubling tolls to pay for its Move Illinois construction program. For $12 billion, you get repairs to existing roads, an interchange at I-57 and the Tri-State Tollway (I-294), a widened Jane Addams Tollway (I-90), studies of extending Route 53 north and building the Illiana Expressway.

But wait, there’s more! Of great interest to suburban road warriors is the long-talked of extension of the Elgin-O’Hare Expressway to O’Hare International Airport.

2. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this snippet, probably a good story, but the link leads to a premium content portion of the website where you must sign in to read. :(

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid the above is of great interest to the future generation of suburban road warriors.

They have been 'studying' Rt 53 extension for years, and AFAIK, Elgin-O'Hare will link with Tri-State south of the airport for some time/distance savings over 53+I-90 route, but not a whole lot.

Gargoyle, sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, a lot of talk but no action (as usual):rolleyes:

Gargoyle and sobore like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As one who lives near Elgin, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hopeful that in 15 or 20 years the Elgin-O'Hare expy will actually reach either Elgin or O'Hare. That it actually connect the two is just too much to hope for. :(

cordray2643, legalalien and sobore like this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    As one who lives on the north shore, I do feel the benefit of the 294 improvements to and from O'Hare, which is a completed project already financed, but only in IL can they double the parking fees at the airport in 3 years (economy parking is now 18 bucks), increase income tax (during a recession) 66% in one year and increase the the tolls the same year with 100%.:rolleyes:

sobore, Sweet Willie and legalalien like this.