Will EK Ever Introduce a 4th Tier?

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by eightblack, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know we loyal EK'ers have mused over this subject for a while now - but the program still lacks something, if you ask me.

In essence, Skywards is very simple to understand.
    Silver = 25,000 tier miles in a year
    Gold = 50,000 tier miles in a year

And that's about all you need to know. Period.

Let's ignore IO for the moment, given that its unattainable for 99.9% of the Skywards base.

Now, as a Gold Skywards member - I'm not complaining at all. The op-ups I have received have been frequent (much more that I have ever received from QF and UA combined). And the stats of 100,000 Gold members in the program might even suggest that EK don't really need a 4th tier. Especially when the total membership base is north of 6 million

But the program is going to continue to grow. And there are a few very elite heavy ports which being a Gold member probably does't add much value at all.

My personal issue is "incentive to continue to fly". Apart from the obvious price, comfort, probability of an op-up argument, Skywards offers very little enticement to keep going once you've reached the 50,000 tier mile level (many members can achieve this with 2 round trips in F). Even my high volume of Y trips (and a couple of J trips) this quarter will see me qualify by the end of March 2011.

I don't think I'd ever like to see Skywards go down the path of the US carriers (ie systemwide upgrades etc) but I would like to see them introduce the following:

1. Track and reward lifetime BIS miles and a qualification level like Million Mile Flyer

2. Adopt a similar program to that of BA GGL (Gold Guest List), whereby there are various rewards and incentives if you achieve 75,000 tier miles, 100,000 tier miles, 150,000 etc etc. This way they may not even have to physically introduce a 4th tier, but could provide enough enhancements to the existing Gold level. They might be upgrades for 2 (like GGL), ability to redeem at the last minute from standard inventory (once per year)

3. Ability to take more than 1 guest into the lounge (or at least allow a Gold member to have a "family privilege", which means Gold members can take their families into the lounge). This would hardly add a lot of overhead to the lounge network, given the average member probably only travels with their family 1-2 times a year

4. Ability to select exit row seating in Y

5. If you achieve say 150,000+ tier miles in a year, your Gold membership is extended for 2-years (not one) or at least let you roll over your tier miles into the next year

6. If you achieve 100,000 tier miles in a year, F lounge access in DXB

I'd be interested in your thoughts...

excelsior and kiwi like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also achievable with one RT in F ;)
    The status bonus, lack of upgrades and other benefits means there is no incentive to continue flying with EK once requalified except where fare is cheaper &/or routing/schedule more convenient.

3. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    IO?

4. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    IO = Invitation Only. Approx 200 members at this stage, by invitation only from Tim Clarke (President Emirates), and supposedly entry criteria is something like 50+ F sectors a year. The majority of members would most probably reside in the middle east. Rumour has it that membership will be expanded to more folks later.

Benefits are what you might expect. Private fleet of black Range Rovers at Dubai, personal concierge service, dedicated and private phone line to call (each member has their own exclusive phone number), the ability to do whatever is humanely possible re flights, etc. You get the gist...

Saydny and snod08 like this.
  5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds pretty incredible! wow!

6. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely with eightblack And the points he makes are even more valid if you typically fly in Business class. (I dont think regular first flyers care much one way or the other :) )

7. Guys, I think if we concentrate on being IO then we can be one among those INVITEES ONLY. To get recognized we should open skywards business reward account. Make you staff travel Emirates and also earn miles on their travel to you account.
    If the people within your organisation regularly enjoy the world-class service of Emirates, Business Rewards will be a real asset to your operation.
    Emirates Business Rewards at a glance
    Your organisation earns Business Rewards Miles
    Your people earn Skywards Miles
    Book award travel for anyone in your organisation
    Enjoy simple, secure online booking
    Access easy-to-use online tools to manage your travel costs
    Enrolling is easy and free.
    It’s a win-win situation with Business Rewards: as your company earns rewards for its business travel, so do the individuals who do all the travelling.
    Best of all, Business Rewards makes it easier to manage your organisation’s travel requirements online. As the administrator of your Business Rewards account, you have complete control over who reaps the benefits of the programme. You have access to a suite of online tools to make it easier to manage your organisation’s travel costs.
    Emirates Business Rewards Miles can be used to buy award tickets to any destination on our global network. You are welcome to share these award tickets with any member of your staff. Put simply, your organisation can use Business Rewards Miles in much the same way as an individual uses Skywards Miles.
    Designed for small and medium-sized businesses, clubs and charities with up to 80 business travellers, Emirates Business Rewards is the most rewarding way to book business travel.

8. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite simply if you head a division in a large business the Skywards prog you mention does not work It may work for a small business but they dont apply the same privileges to us. If company policy is decentralised then you can get a very good or a very bad deal on EK depending on the person you are negotiating with.

9. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the assumption that emirates will not introduce a publicly known 4th tier, this is the way forward:

Id like to comment on privileges proposed in stars:

1. Track and reward lifetime BIS miles and a qualification level like Million Mile Flyer ****

2. Adopt a similar program to that of BA GGL (Gold Guest List), whereby there are various rewards and incentives if you achieve 75,000 tier miles, 100,000 tier miles, 150,000 etc etc. This way they may not even have to physically introduce a 4th tier, but could provide enough enhancements to the existing Gold level. They might be upgrades for 2 (like GGL), ability to redeem at the last minute from standard inventory (once per year)
    ***** This would acutally be enough to retain my loyalty

3. Ability to take more than 1 guest into the lounge (or at least allow a Gold member to have a "family privilege", which means Gold members can take their families into the lounge). This would hardly add a lot of overhead to the lounge network, given the average member probably only travels with their family 1-2 times a year
    `
    4. Ability to select exit row seating in Y

5. If you achieve say 150,000+ tier miles in a year, your Gold membership is extended for 2-years (not one) or at least let you roll over your tier miles into the next year

The second is redundant The first is good *****

6. If you achieve 100,000 tier miles in a year, F lounge access in DXB
    would add to crowding
    I would add special benefits for Golds who are intensive J and F travellers:

50,000 tier miles or more in First and Business Class get:

• 2 Upgrade vouchers Each valid for one sector) at 50,000 and then every subsequent 50,000 miles
    • 2 Upgrade companion vouchers valid only in F and J
    • Access to F lounge with one guest when travelling Business Class
    100,000 tier miles or more in First and Business Class also get
    • Full inventory access when booking awards and upgrades
    • First Class check in and baggage prioirty
    • Acess to F lounge with one guest irrespective of airline and class flown
    • Spouse/Partner Silver Card