Will Delta sell MQM's again this year?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jbcarioca, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past direct purchase of MQM's and MQM's for charitable contributions were decent ways to pass a threshold if needed. It seems I'll be 10k or so miles short for Diamond this year (despite Reserve kicking in recently) unless I divert miles from *A where I need a few extra also.

So... does anybody have any idea whether they'll sell MQM's again this year, and if so, what sort of deals they'll offer?

gregm and Kalboz like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way to know. Last year IIRC DL offered a maximum of 10,000 MQMs for about $999, which was more expensive than the previous year. Also IIRC the miles for charitable donations was several years ago and only available for several Atlanta area organizations.

Last year also DL offered some MQMs for SC memberships or renewals. I don't know whether you could buy a membership for someone else or not, but I suspect not. In your case, this would be superfluous (although if you ever fail to be DM, they add on the time you are owed) but it could be a way to get a few thousand MQMs over the 10,000 limit.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    BondAir007, DiverDave and jbcarioca like this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you were to divert from Star Alliance to Delta to pass your threshold, keep in mind (on the UA side of Star, at least) you CAN, pretty much as standard practice, buy extra elite-qualifying miles on a flight you take there before diverting to DL. The so-called "Premier Accelerator," even on award trips. Correct?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, although I am not yet a UA user. SMD5 might change my mind iof they have some sort of attractive offer. My *A status is US Chairmans and TAM Vermelho (=to DL Plat, more or less). Because both of those will probably exit Star, JJ for certain, I am more inclined to go with UA, in which maybe a challenge is in order.

Thanks, kansaskeith, that is a good idea.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't do anything involving a status match until the potential US/AA merger is settled.

DiverDave, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were I to do that it's mostly because UA has much better options from GIG than does US, and I'm EXP anyway on AA so I really don't much need US. Still...I'm dithering because I have too many statii and it's a hassle keeping track of them all. They all seemed to make sense once upon a time.:oops:

8. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the Hilton MQMs, choose fixed miles and receive double MQMs (500).

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the purchase counts towards the MQDs??!!?? I doubt it.

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suck up Jeff's bounty. But don't bother buying UA PQMs... more UG potential for me without you high rollers on the UG lists :p

Although, one of my GPUs did just clear out of BRU, ten days ahead of departure on V fare and without any need for intervention on my part. Not bad. There is no doubt that by comparison, DL's SWU system is poorly implemented, subject to operational breakdowns and hangups caused by byzantine DL policies - like coding, reissue, etc. - that DL has no intention to fix because they actively impede SWU success.

11. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now RTS, there are many reasons NOT to buy PQMs. UA isn't the party it once was.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    SMD5 convinced me I do not want anything to do with UA. It was worth going to learn that the grass is often not greener at all.

13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I am not yet able to access trades on this forum, I just reached my spending threshold and I am trading 15k mqm's. If interested shoot me a pm.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can one 'trade' MQMs?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DL AMEX cards allow you to assign the bonus MQM's to others.

adrianors and jbcarioca like this.
  17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small clarification that only Amex DL Reserve allows assigning MQM boost to others.

adrianors and jbcarioca like this.
  18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know.. I guess I have to apply to this one.. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Selling DL RDMs or MQMs is against the rules and can result in accounts being closed and status forfeited for both the buyer and seller. For all we know, these new MP members could work for DL. Proceed at your own risk.

Davescj likes this.
  21. RNTrav

RNTrav Member

Status Points:
    My apologies... I understand that. However, they can be gifted. I am not asking anyone to go "against the rules" nor do I "work for DL". Should anyone like to gift any MQMs please let me know. I do not want anyone to lose their privileges as I do not. I have a coworker that is diamond status that gifted miles to his staff assistant.

Thanks!

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gifting is fine, but to join MP and then ask in your first post that someone here gift their precious MQMs to you seems unreasonable. When we keep our MQMs, they roll over if the owner has earned elite status, so they're potentially valuable for next year. They also count for MM status but only if kept and not gifted.

Davescj likes this.
  23. RNTrav

RNTrav Member

Status Points:
    Please accept my apologies. I only reached out as I know at times members like to gift and wanted to reach out and give the opportunity. I am somewhat new to DL SM and just found out that I am going to lose my MQMs due to rollover. I am so close to a higher medallion status. It's unfortunate as I have been flying with DL every week now for almost 3 months. Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone. I am sure that a lot of you are frustrated as well. Coming from UA DL is killing me with their policies, however, they seem to be the most fair to their members.

Thanks!

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is rollover causing you to lose your MQMs? On other airlines, including UA, status miles expire at the end of the year (or other qualifying period for some foreign carriers). With DL, the excess over what you need for an elite level can help you next year, as a sort of insurance policy.

If you're going to be close to elite status on DL, either fly more or look for other ways to get MQMs legitimately, such as possibly purchasing them from DL, staying in Hiltons, buying a SC membership, etc.

MJonTravel and Davescj like this.