Will DC see Upgrade Awards…

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Saracen, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    … or will that be the sweetener for the MM transfer?

While I could do a lot of flying with the 300k miles I've amassed, I hate to book a full redemption ticket due to the lost opportunity to earn miles (I'm one of those who just makes qualification most years). I've been waiting for upgrades for a while, and saw that AC, US and JJ recently joined the scheme, with no mention of BD. Do you think we'll see this benefit before Diamond Club is folded into M&M?

Traveloguy likes this.
  2. I don't believe we'll see (all of) DC folded in to M&M, but I asked at an LH station this week if I could use DC points for upgrade - and after tapping away and scratching of heads they told me they could see DC on the system, but could not effect any transactions.

I suppose this means that it is coming but not yet activated?

Traveloguy likes this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, that is interesting. Good to see you here, GoldCircle. You still in DUB? I left behind the Green Mile after a year's slogging, and now call SIN home.

Traveloguy likes this.
  4. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    After today's announcement, I'd think the answer is simple: It's around the corner! ;)

Traveloguy likes this.
  5. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, *A upgrades coming in Q2 2011.
    DC not to be merged into M&M in 2011.
    (2012 is a different animal though IMHO)

Traveloguy likes this.
  6. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah saw that in the CEO responses post I started. I wonder what the upgrade redemption table will look like though, and do you think they'll allow C+M?

Traveloguy likes this.
  7. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.

Be careful what you wish for. C+M on upgrades could end up similar to the "co-pay" system used by US airlines. Not as an alternative to using miles, but as a requirement for upgrading from any booking code other than "full fare" economy or business. Taking AA as an example, going from "discount" Y to business on a USA-Europe itinerary will cost you 25,000 miles and 350 USD. Business to First? 25,000 plus $550. Each way.

Within Star Alliance, CO also has no co-pay if your starting point is "full fare", otherwise there's a sliding scale for Y to C upgrades ranging from $250 to $500 for that same TATL trip. That's in addition to 20,000 miles.

Now consider what Diamond Club will already sell us for 18,750 miles plus 200 to 400 GBP...[​IMG]

8. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that on own metal upgrades but for Alliance upgrades, they generally only apply to the higher fares anyway, generally Y and B. SQ also allows upgrades to S fares, but not E, which they do in their own FFP. I don't expect BD to give any more than that. It suits me, as we generally book SQ through a TA and often end up with Y,B or S, sometimes E.

Traveloguy likes this.
  9. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are the details for Star Alliance upgrades for United MP and Asiana Club. They look the same to me: Y,B on all, plus a few others on selected carriers. So, in a sense, upgrade awards aren't great if you're booking your own flights. But for corporate fares :)

Traveloguy likes this.
  10. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right -- and the number of miles required means that *A upgrades aren't attractive to most of us. If you're paying your own way, buying a ticket and spending the number of miles required by e.g. UA or LH to upgrade a *A itinerary is not a very attractive proposition. Using the miles for full redemptions is usually a much better deal.

For corporate fares, as you say, things can look different. The people I know who regularly use *A upgrades have far too many miles and get their fares paid for them. In that situation, spending 80,000 UA miles to upgrade a TATL return from C to F may seem acceptable -- not least because they earn miles, including status miles and whatever bonus miles their FFP gives them, on the underlying C fare.

JetSet, Traveloguy and GoldCircle like this.
  11. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though I should add, my corporate fare is always in Economy [​IMG]

Traveloguy likes this.
  12. Yes, mine is too. [​IMG]

Traveloguy and RAPC like this.
  13. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Economy? Stop moaning, mine is cheapest economy. Full miles? Not here guvnor![​IMG]

Traveloguy and philcape like this.
  14. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop moaning, all three of you. In order for Mrs IMH to get reimbursed she has to fly economy with a US carrier. [​IMG]

15. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is international in Y, then that isn't that bad. Make it a domestic transcon and you are right, she'd be trumping us all on the misery stakes.

Saracen and Traveloguy like this.
  16. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair cop, RACP. That kind of penny pinching hurts. (Particularly on what's left of BD domestic :( )

Traveloguy likes this.
  17. Very keen to glimpse the *A upgrade award chart. Yes, I'm sure it will be expensive, but then again there are times when I manage to find the appropriate fare class on my ticket. Not sure however if it will be of much value though if as we all assume, the number of miles required to upgrade are huge.

18. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Corporate fares with SQ mean that's the preferred airline for us, which is great. I remember the 50k miles I did in 2008/2009 on UA, including transcons. Ouch.

19. JetSet
    Original Member

JetSet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the analysis, it seems then that the upgrade awards are not the best use of miles if you're on your own dime.

20. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade awards are like cheese, wine and car hire: things we like other people to spend their miles on. ;)

JetSet and GoldCircle like this.