Will CO/UA's E+ announcement affect your loyalty to Delta?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DYKWIA, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that CO/UA have officially announced that the E+ product will be staying AND rolled out to all CO mainline & larger CO Regional jets, it sets a key differentiator to DL. Will this affect your loyalty to Delta?

For me, it's compelling and if we see DL's paid upgrade program cause my percentage of upgrades to decrease by a good margin I will take a good look at CO/UA. (Not to mention their better SWUs)

BondAir007 likes this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, fantastic for my "hooker" airline.

Hopefully, our "Best in Class" airline will also do the honorable thing, and put E+ in all their jets!

3. Smaug
    Original Member

Smaug Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw UA Insider's post on FT, and one thing they had not decided...

With DL's recent decision to increase the number of F cabin seats, I prefer what DL is doing. Granted I'll admit I don't know too much about the UA's E+ product.

4. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    What? Do you have a link? I haven't heard anything but rumor.

6. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are already plenty of reasons to avoid DL SkyMiles as much as possible, but this CO/UA development won't be one of those reasons for me to be more critical of DL SkyMiles.

7. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If my upgrade percentage falls significantly because of the rumored FC monetization, I'll definitely give them a look, especially if UA/CO makes an effort to poach DMs.

The only thing DL has added recently is the use of SWU's on AF PV (to upgrade to J) and this a good thing, but I have a feeling it won't last (if it's such a great deal for AF, why doesn't DL let you use them on $1500-2000 TATL fares on their metal?) If significantly reduced domestic upgrades don't come with something to offset it, I'll be looking.

Added: To be clear, the announcement by itself doesn't effect my loyalty. But if things go south at DL it gives an incentive to move to UA/CO (over, say, AA)

BamaGirl likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been comparing and analyzing pretty much since the NW/DL merger was announced. Although I'm a hub captive, if I start missing upgrades, then E+ as a guarantee will dominate the gate lottery even if it sometimes means an extra connection.

10. sterno24
    Original Member

sterno24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spent 4 months flying thru DEN to Steamboat (only served by UA during the summer) last year.
    I did enjoy the E+ when I didn't get upgraded.

However...something was just missing on UA.

Maybe it was just being so familiar with Delta...it didn't feel right being on someone elses plane.

Don't think it will change anything from my perspective...but will be a welcome opportunity if I have to fly UACO in the future.

11. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it will motivate Delta to consider doing the same to their domestic fleet!

David

12. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will not affect my choice. I will stay with Delta. Even though they are lacking in some areas or behind the times.

13. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO additional F seats vs. E+ is the way to go. That allows us to snag more upgrades!

14. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad I'm tied to a DL hub, it's no fun to fight for seats on UA/CO and then having a stop on top of it.

15. Is it a positive, yes. Undoubtedly. Even if it pulled a bit of capacity out of first on CO/UA.

On the other hand, I matched to CO Gold and have been flirting with CO for the last few months... Sadly, the experience has been average or worse so far : terrible elite line wait times, more surly agents, fewer upgrades that I've received on Delta, almost no mainline service (and thus no F) on IAH-MSP (my most frequent destination).

I'm mostly a domestic flyer that wishes I had more international travel but I don't. And Delta's been fantastic to me in the last year. It'd take a big change for the worse by Delta and a big change for the better by Continental for me to switch. Could happen but this doesn't seem like it for me.

Crossing my fingers for my CO and UA flights tomorrow (MSP-DEN-IAH-BTR) to get upgrades... Hard to imagine missing MSP-DEN AND DEN-IAH and finding it very strange that as a gold, I haven't seen upgrades on either yet. At least I have E+ on MSP-DEN though. :)

secretsea18 likes this.
  16. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The few times I have flown US and UA and the associated customer experience have not endeared me to become a regular passenger. It is DL or AA as they just started service out of GNV.

17. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough for me to maintain status in 3 programs. We have corporate deals with AA and DL - and AA gets most of the business because they offer non-stops between 2 of my key business travel endpoints (WAS-LAX) and DL doesn't. That said, I do a few segments on UA/CO each year and would welcome status, but the corporate money-train won't spend there unless absolutely, positively necessary (we did have corporate CO deal, but that vanished with the merger).

Most of my DL travel is international, and DL is putting the equivalent of E+ in the international cabins.

I think the UA announcement will not have significant effect on me.

18. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    With E+ on Delta on all intl. flights and a 90+% upgrade rate I see no reason to jump ship

19. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmm, changes you'll like or best in class? for me the short answer is, it's still to early to tell.... i currently have status with both UA and DL, and i'm taking 2011 as a wait and see year -- i'll make sure to keep something on both carriers so i can make a better decision in 2012.

if UACO ends up largely competitive on benefits/service, then E+ is a solid differentiator. free domestic SDC/standby is a far more useful benefit when you stand a chance of being placed in a comfortable seat.. and if upgrades do get harder on DL, E+ will be more important.. but if UA starts to live up to CO's reputation during irrops, that's not worth E+. need to see how upgrade rates go this year.

there's plenty more about the merger that needs to get sorted out before i can make a decision. holding onto premier and then watching from a comfortable distance while enjoying gogoinflight on delta sounds like a good way to spend my 2011.

TheMadBrewer likes this.
  20. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I walked away from UA because every time I tried to book a work trip 8-9 days out I would have no ability to get an E+ aisle seat. So I gave up and just fly WN most of the time now.

I intend for most of my DL flying to be on E175/CR9s - I can survive without playing E+ roulette, especially if I can snare the coach bulkhead.

21. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    There may be competition on mainline but Compass/Pinnacle/Mesaba/Skywest are a better lot than Go Jet/Mesa/TransStates. The regionals are the reason I looked outside of Star.

kayet likes this.
  22. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try UA in the Y+ cabin.... Nice when you don't get the upgrade.

The Boat likes this.
  23. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing as AF, when the one does not get the upgrade as well.

However, if DL adds E+, then I'll start traveling more on US as they have not gone that route yet. Being based out of PVD, there is no more AA, and UA only goes to IAD and ORD while CO goes to EWR and CLE. And now with US offering complimentary upgrades--it adds a new dimension.

24. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    DEN-IAH is rough -- it was rough before the merger, and now, it's now hub-to-hub, and UACO's best way to get people from the DEN hub to latin america.

The Boat likes this.
  25. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I thought from DEN, it would be easier to transit via LAX to Latin America, especially with the codeshares between LACSA, TACA, COPA and AeroRepublica.