Will changing cabins trigger change fee on award ticket?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by andimal, Mar 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andimal

andimal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked plenty of UA awards, but never burned a mile on DL...

Say I've got a low-level business award booked, and one segment had no business award space open, but was available in economy - so I book an award with mixed cabins. Mileage was deducted at the business price obviously. If business award space opens up on that economy segment, can I call in and have it changed from economy to business without triggering the $150 change fee? Is it a YMMV situation? Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is DL, obviously, but based on how this is handled for awards on UA and because it makes sense, you should automatically qualify for the upgrade waitlist, with no fee to pay if you should get upgraded and a reimbursement for the difference between business and economy mileage for segments for which you paid for business but had to travel in economy. The above is strictly true for segments for which "mileage was deducted at the business price".

But like I said, this is DL....;)

3. andimal

andimal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent points all around...

But seriously, this is on a DL partner (AS), so I have no hope for the upgrade waitlist (even if DL did bother to do that like UA) because they just see what class I am booked in on their metal. So I'm more interested to know if I see the space open up pre-72-hours-pre-departure if I can make it happen.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would defintely keep an eye on the list and go for it by contacting a DL CSR since the situation is not even that straightforward.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take!:)

andimal likes this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Change feel applies if not PM/DM. No waitlisting on DL awards.

andimal likes this.
  6. andimal

andimal Silver Member

Status Points:
    bummer, thanks

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't get down...call and say you were told when you booked it that if the space opened up you could change cabins if it became available....sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, no harm in trying though.

Gargoyle and andimal like this.