Will C1 get me an aisle?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by jetsfan, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I'm not traveling as much anymore, my decision about which airline to fly on is primarily based on cost so I will likely be flying WN a lot more now. I'm on a PIT-PHX flight tomorrow and have seat C1. I was wondering what the chances are of getting an aisle with this seat? What about a window seat? I don't care where I sit (wrt row) and actually like to sit in the back of the plane but I don't think I could stand a middle seat for a 5 hour flight. Do you know of anyone ever paying anyone to move up in boarding group? Would WN allow it?

2. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I haven't flown PIT-PHX, so am unfamiliar with the load on that flight. An aisle seat might not be very high, but an aisle or a window seat could still be available depending on how many thru PAXs and business selects show up. A majority of the planes have 23 rows, so approx 92 window/aisle seats. If only 1 or 2 Business Selects show, that drops the number of A's from 60 PAXs to under 60. I regularly have missed numbers in the A15-A30 flights as well as several A list PAXs will change their travel plans, but on other flights, they don't miss their flights. Then several thru PAXs, A's and B's will take middle seats near the front of the plane. Good luck with your selection. Here are a few additional suggestions:

• Southwest's "Secret First Class" is located just aft of the exit row. Selecting a seat in that area (rows 13 through 17 on most Southwest airplanes) gives you the highest probability of having an empty middle seat. Why? Passengers wanting an aisle or window seat or overhead bin space will walk all the way to the back of the cabin, hoping for success. If they don't find what they are looking for, they will turn around and take the first decent middle seat. Only rarely will they walk all the back to row 15.
    • On a full flight there are three sections for drink service, starting at rows 1, 9, and 17. Those are the best rows if you need a drink quickly.
    • When the aisle seats are all taken, it's time to play "Unite the Couple". As you walk down the aisle look for what appears to be a couple in the aisle and window seats. When you ask for the middle, most of the time you will end up with the aisle. This will not work 100% of the time, but is a good tactic to avoid a middle seat in the back. As you scope it out you can usually figure out the couples that are travelling together and trying to protect the middle.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you're a risk-taker, there is this strategy:

Each boarding pass shows your check-in sequence number, up to 137 (the number of seats on all but a few of Southwest's planes) in addition to the letter. If someone is removed from the flight (e.g., catches an earlier flight), their sequence number is put back in the pool. If you happen to check in immediately afterwards, you may draw an "A" or "B" even though the person ahead of you got a "C".
    • On routes where there are many flights, there is a trick to "upgrade" to an A. Starting around 15-20 minutes before a flight before yours on the same route is scheduled to take off (although really you can try it anytime, but it seems like the largest chance of movement is right before an earlier flight takes off), open up two browsers and in one cancel your boarding pass and in the other re-check-in. If it is a route where there are often many full-fare tickets purchased, there is a good chance that a handful of people will standby/change to an earlier flight and thereby opening up their (possible) A boarding pass for you to snag.
    • There is a slight risk that someone else could come in and snag your B or C during the seconds that you cancel and re-check-in.
    • Don't try this once you get to an hour before your flight, as you won't be able to re-check-in on-line anymore. You can, however, go to a gate agent and have your boarding pass cancelled and re-issued, possibly snagging an A.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten an aisle seat with BP C-1, but only on flights originating at my airport. I suspect that your PIT-PHX flight will not originate in PIT, making your odds of getting an aisle seat a bit less.

5. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got 11C (exit row aisle) with B21 this past Saturday. I was quite pleased.

6. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What was the outcome of your seat selection from last week's flight?

7. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update:
    First of all, thanks for the advice. I was going to use the "check in, un-check-in" trick but I couldn't figure out how to un-check-in online.
    PIT-PHX
    The first flight was totally full. When I boarded all I could see were middle seats. Then, I get back to row 21 and there is an open aisle seat next to a very nice couple. I'm very grateful for the seat because as I was walking down the aisle, people in front of me were taking various random middle seats.
    PHX-LAX
    I got a whole row to myself (as did about half the people on the plane) :)

8. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easy answer...no. My experience is that anything less than B30 gives you a real shot at aisle. Bus Select can be purchased to guarantee an aisle:)

9. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somebody on FlyerTalk posted the trick: You begin the cancel reservation process. The first screen will ask you if yuo want to delete the boarding pass. Say yes there but on the next page do NOT cancel the reservation. Instead, do another online check-in.

10. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So glad it went well for you!