Will be flying my first international premium cabin (DL), anything I should take note of?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by OceanTrotter3, Jul 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked my first premium award ticket on DL BusinessElite from JFK-NRT for travel in August (on the double-decker 747). Just wondering if there is anything I should take note of for the flight (i.e. seating etc.)

Thanks! :)

marcwint55, WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a matter of taste I guess, but when I have a chance to fly on a 747 in C, I prefer to sit in the upper deck. It tends to be quieter and less hectic which is particularly nice if you plan on getting some sleep on the flight.

Counsellor and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get to the airport early and enjoy the lounge, don't forget the plane will leave without you.

Have a safe and memorable trip....

4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Half double decker.....A380 now that is a double decker. ;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  5. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your first! Your first will always be special even though it may not be the best product. My first was the old Lufthansa business class seat on the 744. It's not the best business class by any stretch but I will always remember how amazing it was (at the time).

DL actually has a decent business class seat and the amenities kit is one of my favorites. And I agree about the upper cabin. There's something special about taking the stairs to your seat. Get there early, enjoy the lounge and know that no economy class flight will ever be the same again. You will be forever ruined. :)

Enjoy!

yarasalem, kenbo, Counsellor and 3 others like this.
  6. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Haha, happy to be ruined. It's more than a month away, and I'm already giddy with excitement!

I was going to ask about pj and stuff before realizing that it's business class. :/

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta doesn't provide Pajamas in their Business Class however they do provide slippers on these Asia flights. :)

8. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    :) Thanks!

Do I need to grab pillows from bulkhead (i.e. will there be pillow shortage)? I remember seeing some Business class passenger on United unpacking bagged pillows from bulkhead when putting away their carry-ons.

9. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    No need. Pillows and a blanket should already set out for you before you board. In the rare case that they don't have one out for you already, just ask.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations... I am still a Economy flyer except for those complimentary upgrades in US. :(

11. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Redeem those miles and come over to the dark side William! We have caviar and Dom! Haha.

Sunshine7, Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  12. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just enjoy it! Sometimes I feel as if I enjoy the researching and booking more than the actual flight itself. Delta has a good business class product. Have you read some trip reports yet?

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not stress at all because it is Delta...not United. ;)

Delta is lightyears ahead of United when it comes to premium travel.

WilliamQ likes this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whilst not a United flyer and primarily Delta, I could make a similar inference by the Delta and United forums here in MP.
    Of course a lot would say (and rightfully so) that the top premium travel providers are all from the Middle East and Asia (the jury is still out and it is almost agreed that they generally exclude US airlines....) But I digressed.

Delta has a great Business Product and coupled with generally great crew members, I can only say I envy you and hope to join the club one day soon.

Enjoy the trip and feel free to share your first experience here. :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the main draw for most on premium travel is actually the reason why me and my wife has not tried to redeem premium awards so far. We do not drink and caviar is not our thing. She did looked at those seats longingly though but happily decided to save those miles when I offered her Economy Comfort or Exit Row seats. In fact, she preferred Exit Row over Economy Comfort. I might surprise her some day though when I save enough for two RT from SIN to US. For such long trips, it will be worth the extra miles.

16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    congrats ! I flew SFO-NRT last year on Delta BusinessElite (think DL no longer flies that route), on an award redemption that got bumped up from Econ to Biz as the number of points was the same, like the other said, the most important thing is to enjoy the entire experience, from the priority check in line, to the executive lounge, remembering not to board only when Economy ticket passengers are called or walk right past the business class seats out of instinct ;) , to having a bigger TV screen, good food, and comfy seats.:p

OceanTrotter3 and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    reminds me of my first business class flight on the A380 from SIN to Newark...spent 15 min trying to flip over the seat to convert to a bed whilst trying not to appear to other folks nearby like a business class newbie..:D

18. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    I think that fear will come when the day draws near. Haha..

19. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    no fear, it's called 'ask the air stewardess';)

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Those upgrades still qualify as coach when compared with most other domestic F seats. :p

WilliamQ likes this.
  21. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... But my 3 upgrades in March came with breakfast... Yummy... When in the economy, I had to purchase the snack treats.. :)

22. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, I'll be flying "First" from Ind-jfk. ;)

Pizzaman likes this.
  23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take it as it comes, and Sit back and enjoy. I surprised my wife with a SFO -NRT upper deck (UAL) last year now she wants to know why I didn't do it for her before! Still it's worth the trip!

WilliamQ and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  24. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    :) Good tip for the future wife – do it earlier.

25. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will bear this in mind when I eventually do something similar for my wife. Presentation and setting expectations :) But sharing the experience with a love one is definitely better then doing it alone... !

Counsellor likes this.