Will BA proactively rebook us if we arrive too late to make LHR cxn?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by TheBeerHunter, Dec 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

We are a pair of OW Emeralds, though our status is with AA. We're booked next week on BA 286 (in Club World though I don't think that is relevant?) and scheduled to connect on BA 316. This is a 1.25 hr T5 to T5 connection. Looking at the flight history, the SFO-LHR flight seems a bit erratic and transiting LHR is always a blast. So my question is: will BA proactively rebook us if we're not able to make our connection for some reason? Will they proactively put us on another carrier, if necessary?

I am sure we have nothing to worry about but I just want to understand what BA would do in this situation so I know what to expect should things go sideways. Appreciate your thoughts!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha! "Nothing to worry about." Let me tell you about a classic BA move. MX delay ex-JFK into LHR, causing misconnect, put on standby for later domestic flights, didn't make it, spent night at LHR with no comp hotel, back to desk at 6am, surly and unhelful agents treating customer as if this whole situation is the customer's fault/responsibility. They didn't even put customer on BA, never mind BD, as they could have done at that moment....

BA are awful at irop handling. Your 1WE status may not even save you from this fate. You can hope there are no misconnects/irops and you don't need to find out. But we all know the true measure of the airline is how irop is handled.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these flights on the same ticket, or separate tickets? That may make a difference.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same of course.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this year we were flying back from LIM to MAD with LAN and then onwards from MAD-LHR-GLA. The MAD-LHR flight was delayed and as a result we missed our connection to Glasgow - by the time we go to LHR BA had already booked us on to the next departure to GLA.

jbcarioca and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. evanderm

evanderm Silver Member

Status Points:
    During my last encounter with a delay, BA were not very proactive. I was met at the door of the aircraft on arrival by a BAA contract staff member who was there to assist me in making my original flight. In fact, I could have gotten to the flight connection centre quicker on my own.

Once there, I went to the conformance scan and was denied and told to go to the transfer desks to get things sorted. By this time the purple-vested staff member had long since vanished and I was left dealing with the FCC staff to get rebooked. Wasn't a hassle at all but nevertheless wasn't BA/BAA's greatest showing. I arrived at C and my new connection departed from the C gates as well. Had they given me a new boarding pass I wouldn't have had to schlep across the airport and could have just gone through security at the C-gates and stocked up on £15 worth of Starbucks goodies.

jbcarioca and newbluesea like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As it turned out, we didn't need to worry. Our inbound flight got in early, there was no line at Fast Track, back through security within 20 minutes of deplaning. We had plenty of time.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Proving the story: When there are no IRROPS LHR, especially T5, works very well. All bets are off in IRROPS status or none. Some people get lucky, most are apparently not; anyway i have been so unlucky with BA and LHR that i will not fly BA anymore and I will not transit LHR either. LGW is not better; remember that it has only one runway.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. Stez

Stez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet in the last five years of flying on BA, I could count the number of irrops on one hand. All were dealt with by BA with re-routing or hotel accommodation. YMMV ;)

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of us should remember your last point.

ballardFlyer, Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Unlike you, he acknowledges the fact that experience varies.

David, ukgooner and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes...and then again, unlike you, he knows BA does wrong.

13. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Oct 2012 my SFO-LHR was delayed for 3 hours. At check-in, BA agent told me that I was already rebooked on a later connecting flight out of LHR, which was awesome because I could email my pickup and tell them the new flight number. BA also gave me a meal voucher in SFO, which was only something like $9, but better than a hole in the head. I was traveling economy with no status.

A bit off-topic, but recently I was flying UK-LHR-EU, and was really delayed into LHR, had to literally run and made it to the gate when all the buses already left. They rushed me outside and a lady in a small car drove me to the tarmac. Practically a VIP experience, sans a Porsche and a premium cabin seat ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.