Will ANA get back the 787 in time??

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by United747&777Expert, Feb 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. United747&777Expert

United747&777Expert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm planning to go on a trip in a month to Tokyo and Beijing from Boston. Originally, ANA's 9:25 am flight from HND-PEK was supposed to be a 787. As you all probably know, defects have caused all 787's to be grounded. My question is, is there still enough time for ANA to get their 787's back, or am I stuck with a 767-300? ;)

davidvoith and marcwint55 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    short answer ... who knows :)

only time would tell if FAA has lifted the grounding ... though I did read that FAA allowed some initial test flights or were going soon.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The FAA has allowed Boeing to start test flights. No one knows how soon the grounding will be lifted.

4. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    in a month? My GF is a ANA Chief Purser and they have been told dont count on it until at least the middle of April. CA's have actually talked about quitting the company if they have to work the 787 flights right now esp when one of the girls got pretty badly skin burned on the emergency chute and the company didnt give her time off.

IDGflygirl, kyunbit and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wasn't that because company policy is that they have to wear skirts, and slacks aren't allowed? If so, burns like that can happen on the emergency slide of any plane.

daboogah likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    no one knows for sure, but from what I have heard I would not count on flying the 787 in a month.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. United747&777Expert

Status Points:
    Could you give a review of the 767? I've never flown in one of them, only 747-400s and 777-200s for wide bodies.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    it must be. the CA's have already mentioned that they would prefer pants esp in light of this but since there is a uniform redesign already happening, said it wouldnt be this time around. they usually keep their uniforms for about 5-7 years. sorry for the thread hijack! but from what the ANA CA's are hearing, it wont be happening for a long time. in fact, a family friend was a 787 captain for NH and he already came back and got his recertification for the 777 so that might be indicative of something too. aloha friday everyone

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am no where near qualified to review the 787. they were nice. GF and I flew the JAL version to Boston last year. it was very nice. but with JAL, things got overshadowed by the great food and service. flew the domestic 787 NH product and the seats were pretty lame considering that they should have been the latest and greatest. Entertainment was ... the ooh and ahh about the windows...i dont know. I worked at UA when we introduced the 777 and .. I guess Im just not an airplane guy. so long as I can get comfortable, thats all that matters. and when the GF is the CP on the flights I jump on, it makes for a mini vacation for us.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. United747&777Expert

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, I meant the 767-300 not the 787.