Will all self-appointed moderators please take a big step back?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been noticing an annoying tendency here for individuals to make posts criticizing the posting behavior of others. This concerns me because it makes MP a less welcoming and friendly place than it could be. (I am not referring to criticisms regarding participation in community building/lounge/like-a-thon/game type threads as that is a somewhat separate topic.)

I first noticed this around the end of beta when a pleasant exchange in a lounge thread was criticized harshly in the thread by another participant for, I think (I'm still not sure exactly what the offense was), having an extremely pleasant late night exchange largely between two people which filled a page or two by morning.

Then I saw a big bunch of people attack someone in another thread for some of the same behavior that the attackers were criticizing. The OP and other (distinguished or otherwise) participants don't own the thread or determine who can participate in it. If there's a perceived problem, the "start a conversation" function would seem to be a good first step for one or two people to take.

More recently, there have been a lot of "you're taking this off topic" criticisms posted when someone legitimately responds to other posts in the same thread. My understanding is that MP is designed to be somewhat chatty, so it's hard to see the harm unless a thread that still deserves answers and discussion is being hijacked.

Somewhat similarly, I've seen a lot of comments escalating over the last few days bragging that they post more content or a higher ratio of content or claiming that they're more positive than others, implicitly (or explicitly) accusing another person of being negative and bad for MP. We can't remain a pleasant community if we start to attack each other about who deserves to be included in the community and who cares more about trying to help MP be great, but we can (and should IMO) have a careful debate about how best to do that.

I admit that I've done something similar to playing cop here by half-jokingly trying to remind folks that someone could potentially get into legal trouble in some places in the world, but others were doing much more morality policing there. If it's legal but you don't like it, perhaps you could avoid reading or looking?

I also admit that recently (and once long ago) I was tempted to remind people to be nice. In the first case, I tried to report the exchange to admin, but the posts stayed and I don't know if anything ever happened about it. In the latter situation, I decided that saying something would just risk inflaming things further when the problem was a self-appointed mod suggesting strongly that people leave MP if they don't like certain aspects. Since I didn't see an explicit TOS violation, I decided to let it go and move to another thread.

More positively, I've seen some groups happily and constructively engage in self moderation by later removing or editing certain posts. This is all good when it's the result of negotiation among the parties, but I personally don't like the idea of someone being very nasty to another person (so that others see and like it) and then removing all traces so that the victim doesn't even have the ability to go back and reread dispassionately with the goal of trying to straighten out the problem. If you've posted something hurtful, the delete button doesn't remove all traces of bad will from our community.

Please, people, before posting moderator-type "corrections" for others, a private conversation would be very much in order if you think the "offense" is important. Give the person that you think is guilty the opportunity to either correct their behavior or discuss it with you and possibly change before flogging them in public. Also, please remember that this is not that other place; the rules and roles are different here.

End of rant, I promise.

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have just earned yourself another dozen likes(well four so far). Well said.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I feel that I've painted a great big target on myself.

tcook052, doc, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  4. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it ironic that.....

Capture.JPG

Jubileesmom, doc and MSPeconomist like this.
  5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    An insightful post, thanks MSPeconomist.

MrsBobSgt, Kaanapali, JALPak and 4 others like this.
  6. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    being unfriendly about being unfriendly = ironic indeed

maybe >

1. people who are so dissatisfied with FT they consider any change from initial MP atmosphere a slippery slope

2. people who behave the same way on FT, or would if mods allowed it, although that leads to even more irony >

the way FT policies of not discussing "members" and not discussing moderation are enforced, the behaviors that prompted this thread (and this thread of course) would not get much traction there

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree completely that we need to stay away from the PUBLIC self appointed moderators. If someone thinks that a thread is getting out of hand, and they want to do something about it, should start a private conversation with the individuals. Of course it is difficult for people to accept that other members are trying to interfere in their postings. But that, and reporting a post, is the only current way to help solve an ongoing problem.

Of course the real solution is for people not to get into those "nasty" discussions in the first place.

doc and Tim O'Brien like this.
  8. don't disagree.... although conflict or differences generate responses and traffic, numbers, %'s et al......i just want to contribute and read stuff about miles and points, and i understand lots of others want to count numbers backward and spend a lot more time on here than I have, and have a real social time online and I understand that fully (wish I had more time) and I think it's great that they do that, any way of reducing the news feeds to miles points topics as I really respect a lot of our fellow contributors but can't find the time to get through all the other stuff in between. This is a Positive post.

deant and doc like this.
  9. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    defending someone from personal attacks is one thing, but getting into big discussions about context and whether negativity is implicit or not gets old fast. how about focusing on the explicit?