Will AA make an exception - I'm SO CLOSE to Platinum

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by monkeyninja, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello all - I'm coming up to 50,000 miles this year and am hoping to maintain my Platinum status on AA.

I am at 44,000 miles, and have a JFK - SFO flight coming up (12/26 - 1/3) which will add a total of 5,200 miles. I spoke to AA and they said if I'm a few hundred miles short (in my case 800 miles), it will NOT be a problem - do any of you have a view?

My second question is that given the return flight is on 1/3 - strictly speaking, half of the above miles fall into 2012. So in reality, I end up with approx 47k miles at 12/31 -- in your experience is this well short of the required 50K, or have you heard of situations where I could call customer service and ask for the flight on 1/3 to count towards this year's total?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. My only other option is to make a mileage run, which I'd rather avoid at this time of the year :\

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fly the miles.

3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will likely be granted an exception. However, to be absolutely certain, why not find a cheap destination and do an immediate turn? That way, you'll be guaranteed success. The difference between PLT and GOLD is worth it, IMO.

If you later find out that AA won't grant an exception, it would be too late. And that would be a shame... just my 2 cents.

I just re-read your OP after getting a response from DestinationDavid. It looks like you will end the year much below the required threshold (I read the OP's post too quickly and thought they would end the year at 49,200. It appears that won't be the case). My recommendation is the same... FLY to get to 50,000 before 12/31/11.

LETTERBOY, zpaul and monkeyninja like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    3K short and an exception is likely? Isn't 49K the generally excepted unofficial threshold?

Still, as miamigrad goes on to state and I urged above, fly the miles. Even if you're within the unofficial threshold it's not guaranteed.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Elite_Status_(AA)

5. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see that the OP wouldn't return until after 01/01. I thought that they would secure the additional 5,200 miles before the end of the year, leaving the balance at 49,200. It was that figure on which I was basing my response. I've edited the original response.

HASTE, indeed, DOES MAKE WASTE! Sorry about that!!

rwoman, Gargoyle, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :) your posts here are always informative and fun, no need for apologies.

rwoman, Gargoyle, zpaul and 1 other person like this.
  7. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really doubt they'd make a 3K exception. If you value the benefits above what a 3K trip costs ($200-400?), just fly it.

8. Thank you for the advice, sounds like I need to book a ticket. I'll get on it.

Gargoyle and zpaul like this.
  9. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Past exceptions have been based on the following:

Gold: 24,500 miles or points
    Platinum: 49,000 miles or points
    EXP: 99,000 miles or points

I suggest the OP get himself on a plane prior to Dec 31st.
    Also, I use the word "past" because no one knows if these exceptions, which have been in place for years, will continue to be offered this year. Very likely they will be offered but there is just no 100% guarantee.

10. Not even 24 hours as an active member on this site and I'm glad to report that I've booked my first mileage run:

LGA - DFW - TUS - DFW - LGA = 6,987 EQM for $250 (total cost on AA) !! = $0.036 / Mile!

In total, that puts me at 51k miles and platinum for 2012 banked!

That's good right?? or did I just do something stupid?? :confused:

rwoman, Gargoyle, folex386 and 4 others like this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only you can ultimately judge the value of PLT vs the cost you paid. Since you seem pretty happy, I'm guessing you did a good job. ;)

Welcome to the site and keep posting here on the AA forum and elsewhere. You'll like it. :)

rwoman, zpaul and monkeyninja like this.
  12. @DestinationDavid - Thanks, I'm a man with a plan now, so hoping 2012 won't bring the same challenges... Clearly a lot to learn!

zpaul likes this.
  13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never count on more than a 500-mile exception.

"If you're shy, time to fly."

monkeyninja and zpaul like this.
  14. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! It won't be your last (cue ominous music)...

Mike

monkeyninja likes this.
  15. There was someone who posted on FT yesterday who was 1700 points/2800 miles/15 segments short of Plat. AA has already granted him Plat before the year's end.

How many points are you short? The points difference may have been the clincher for this other fella. You may also be able to pay AA a fee to be Plat - would advise a call to AAdvantage customer services.

16. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this was an exception done by AA. In that same thread, someone who was short something like 25k of EXP (and he was plat at the time) was bumped up to EXP.

I think in light of the bankruptcy AA is going through and rewarding their most loyal cu$tomer$

17. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    YMMV, but I wouldn't rely on what may or may not have been granted to someone else for what I know I need to qualify. Exceptions and adjustments are nice to receive, but by no means promised nor guaranteed, and just because one gets doesn't mean others will. I think the diff. between Plat and Gold is enough of a difference to not want to be regretting not crossing that line when I was so close to it.

18. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cost per mile seems off. It looks to me like you have included the outbound of your transcon in the miles, but not in the cost. If you pull those miles out, the cost per mile is 5.7 cents per mile - still respectable, but not astonishing.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The guy on FT seems to have been given an exception based on profitability, not points per say. But as others have pointed out, OP is still better off securing status through flying as opposed to just hoping for an exception.

Paying a fee has been an option some years, but again, is not a regular program. Banking on that is a gamble just like hoping for an exception.

I still think OP should fly the miles/points if they want a 100% guarantee.

20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well his problem is now solved by the DEQM promo just announced no?

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure is!

22. I'm not sure I understood the logic of your maths - could you help me understand what I did wrong here in my calculation of CPM?

FWIW, I ended up cancelling the above flight as I had to go to London on business before the end of the year, so ended up with 57k miles - PLT BANKED!

23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure. LGA-DFW is 1389 miles. DFW-TUS is 813 miles. So one-way is 2202 miles, round-trip is 4404 miles. Don't know how you came to 6987 EQM. $250 divided by 4404 is $0.057/EQM, not $0.036. $0.057 is still a respectable mileage run, but not a fantastic one.