Will AA ever be an Amex MR transfer partner?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Sean, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I just dreaming? Is there any hope?

2. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a very loyal Amex customer for years and a new convert to AA, I certainly hope so. With that said, I have no idea if they will ever let the transfer of MR to AA miles.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Always assumed no becuase of the tight Citibank-AA relationship. But then AA became an Amex lounge partner so I figured maybe things were thawing over on Amon Carter Blvd?

Still one imagines that they'd close off status earning via miles from any source before they added Amex as a transfer partner.

4. ffI

ffI Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Amex lounge partnership was allowed to get more revenue to AA. The overall funding for AA is Citi which was recently upon harder times c/w Chase. I think as Citi improves, the likelihood of AA transfers will decline.

5. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have that Citi AA Amex. It is the only Amex I have ever had that is accessed online through something other than the Amex website.

8. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's to dreaming!!![​IMG]

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never is a long time to bet on something happening.

I'm betting it doesn't in the next 3 years.

10. ma91pmh
    Original Member

ma91pmh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does open a good "trade" opportunity for those willing to use the likes of FT's Coupon Connection or maybe do a trade with a buddy. I have friends who are Amex MR millionaires, some many times over, and would happily shoot some over into say my Aeroplan or ANA account for a *A booking if I make a similar AA booking for them. This can work out nicely both ways as say they wanted to go to Asia in F they can use AA's nice 135k F awards and we could maybe take advantage of say ANA's cheap redemption levels from east coast to Europe.

11. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it is not the "best money for your miles" offer, you can transfer AMEX MR Points to Starwood and then transfer from Starwood to AA.

miloki likes this.
  12. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it's an option, but you'd have to be pretty desparate considering in the best circumstances you end up with this

60,000 Amex MRs = 20,000 Starpoitns = 25,000 AA miles.

13. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a huge understatement.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  14. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldnt hold my breath for AA to join the MR program. But with CO leaving as an option later this year after the UA/CO merger, Amex needs a major push for new transfer options.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Amex MR folks can do CX F for 150k roundtrip via transfers to BA...

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    They lost US Airways.. and they lost Marriott.. and they lost...

... the only non-lame addition to the US program in years has been British Airways.

Still, love the flexibility and the speed of transfer to most partners of my Amex points. And losing Continental, while a sting because of the ease of redemption, really isn't that great of a loss considering continued partnerships with Aeroplan and ANA.

17. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, except, in the past, they didnt have any other major program they had to compete with. Now, (my opinion only) Chase is making a major push with their Preferred Sapphire Visa Card. Transfers to 3 major hotel programs (Marriot, Hyatt, Priority Club), major airlines such as CO and BA....

I admit that the AMEX MR program still has way more partners, but still, if they keep losing, and Chase adds a few more airlines, its going to be a very legit alternative.

18. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you could combine miles across partner accounts, I would agree, but you can't. Furthermore, many people (outside MP) aren't aware of the ability to transfer points to a partner to use on Continental/United. Consequently, the loss of Continental could lose many Continental flyers for Amex.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  19. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Not having AA is one reason we don't use AMEX Membership rewards much. My wife got a 50K signup bonus and we will cancel in 11 months before the annual fee becomes due. I recently did a trade (with someone I know very well) where I got AA & the other party got DL with fat bonuses.

Win win for both parties. I like Starwood as I believe it is more valuable than MR and more options including AA.

20. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only wish and this is one of my new year's wish for 2011 :D

21. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sure would love for them to be partners. I have some orphan MR points, and I don't want/need anything for the point range that I'm in.

22. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think American Express(AX/AmEx) will never get together with American Airlines (AA). Considering AX has huge investment with Delta Air Lines (DL). However, I wouldn't mind seeing in the future a AA and AX card.

I wonder how it would look? Would it look like a AA card with a small AX logo on the card? Or AX card with a small AA logo? Something like the AX StarWood card? :)

23. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think we're talking about Amex offering an AA card, i think there's already an American Airlines Amex, but it's offered by Citi, it only uses Amex to process transactions. What I'd be looking for is the ability to transfer to AA Membership Rewards points, which can be earned with American Express offered cards, like the Premier Rewards Gold, the Plantinum and the Centurion cards. If i could get one AA mile for each MR point I'd be happy.

24. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that is all you're looking for, why don't you just use the SPG Amex as your main card? 20k SPG-->25k AA

25. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got offered a 75,000 point sign on bonus from Amex, couldn't resist. For spend yes SPG is much better, but they're a bit more stingy with their bonuses.