Will 13 nights get me anything?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Roaddoggin, Sep 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

I've already qualified for Hilton Diamond and will qualify for Marriott Platinum and SPG Platinum by the end of the year with 13 business travel nights left over. Is this going to earn a base tier with any other brand?

I already have a few nights with IHG, so this could push me into gold there, but is there another low tier worth having?

uggboy, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Roaddoggin.

Have you considered the Kimpton Hotels chain. If they work with your work travel budget and areas of stay I suggest the following:

1. Get a status match for Hilton Diamond.

2. Use each of your travel nights as 13 stays. This will get you one free night and 6 stays of credit. The 6 stays can roll over into 2014 towards another free night.

3. If you have the time, location and inexpensive rate you can score two more stays and get renewed Inner Circle for an additional year. If you stay at 10 different Kimptons in a calendar year you get 2 additional free nights.

4. With IC status you get an upgraded room, your choices of treats you would like at the hotel, a complimentary appetizer at the hotel restaurant, and, among other things, a complimentary night in a King Deluxe room plus a $ 50 dining credit at one of 8 Kimpton properties that opened in the past year. A status matched IC member is eligible for the comp nights after 3 stays.

Check out the Kimpton website if you are interested. Good luck on using your travel nights for good purpose.

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check some of the smaller chains such as Omni.

However, why do you want status on as many chains as possible, versus booking a good and convenient Hilton, Marriott or Starwood hotel and enjoying the status benefits you've already earned?

4. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:

Because I travel this much or more *every year*. It's good to have options. I used to stick to Hilton, but I found a few places I wanted to travel to for leisure where there was no Hilton property (Venezuela, for example) and I'm considering "breaking up" with Hilton over recent changes to the program and redemptions.

uggboy, marcwint55 and mo26 like this.
  5. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    13 nights gets you Hyatt Diamond through their challenge

6. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:

Well, that's certainly interesting. I could easily maintain diamond there, even more easily if I dump Hilton.

How's their property portfolio?

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many nights are you at with SPG? Any of the nights benefits of interest + obtainable with the extra stays? Hyatt could be worth considering if their footprint suits your needs. There are a handful of international destinations that I find attractive where they have hotels and Hilton does not (this was discussed in another thread a while back).

With your travel levels, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything other than high-level status. IHG you can just grab their CC and have platinum so no real need to focus there either.

Don't be afraid of having some nonaffiliated stays, either.

8. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just looking at those. I'm at exactly 50 nights, so I won't be able to hit the next tier without some paid leisure travel, which doesn't make sense. With all the business travel I do, I haven't paid for leisure travel in over 4 years.

Definitely considering Hyatt at this point.

I am seriously considering some cute airbnb options.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    points stays count for SPG as well, but adding 12 extra leisure nights, whether on money or points, is a lot to add.

Hyatt is quite nice, with some very nice hotels at the top end that are quite reasonably obtained via points. Their footprint can be weak as an only program, but as a second or third program they have enough unique strengths to make them interesting - both in properties/footprint and in program. The confirmed suite upgrades are nice...if you're going to pay cash where/when you would want to use them (personally this limits their value for me) and earning + elite treatment is good.

Even with points in most major programs, I still end up travelling to places where I either want or need to pay cash for a room. At the end of the day, the destination is the most important and I'm always cautious that I don't trap myself into doing what is easiest with points vs. what I really want to do. There are definitely great destinations where points get you nowhere!

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

One thing to consider is lifetime platinum with SPG or Marriott. SPG is the easier of the two, and those extra nights could go toward the total nights needed for the lifetime status.

uggboy likes this.