Wild About Travel - Qantas-Anyone worried?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Oct 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I am watching Qantas in disputes with three unions. There is the classic “blame the management” by the unions and the classic “blame the unions” by Qantas spokespeople. For passengers, there’s inconvenience of cancelled flights.For the tourist industry, theres a fear...
    ©Wild About Travel, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

2. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the biggest load of utter BS I've read during the current industrial dispute. That's a record, considering the complete rot that's come from the mouths of Engineer's president Steve Purvanis and ors.

A fight for survival? They're the only flag carrier that consistently turns a profit. They've also successfully negotiated contracts with other unions this year who've not caused anywhere near the fuss the Engineers and Pilots have.

Public support: they have it. Passengers continue to fly QF and the union action isn't having a dent in bookings.

The only dent is the airlines decision to put safety before schedule, by grounding planes that their maintenance staff can't keep up to standard thanks to their continued stoppages, work bans and delays.

Business market share: I'd love to see where this 13% figure came from, and even if this was true it's barely a ripple. Given current activity, this at face seems like a calculation based on the usual changing of hands businesses do as part of renegotiating their annual/tri-annual aviation contracts.

Platinum one: This tier was announced well before any of the union strife, and the lame attempt to tie this to industrial action is a poor case of the latin fallacy "post hoc ergo propter hoc".

Then there's the reasons why Qantas hasn't accepted the Engineers or Pilots demands - because, if they did, it would unlawfully restrict them expanding and enhancing their business so it continues to grow and turn profits. This is on top of these groups trying to hold onto outdated, outmoded and redundant work practices that are no longer needed for their jobs to be done correctly.

And let's not even talk about the benefits and remuneration they seek, the likes of which aren't seen anywhere else in the industry, let alone the known universe.

I fear in the writing of this article, the article's author has lost the ability to engage reality and truly understand just what is happening in a market they obviously know nothing about.

Sent using my Roman era abacus